Home Cigar 101

Humi Temp?

wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
I've been smoking for about 6 mos now, and I'm finally admitting my addiction to the hobby and bought a Humi.  It's a 120 ct with a divider tray.  I got a cheapo Hygrometer for about 10 bucks that is reading 71% humidity right now.  I'm starting the Rh salt calibration tonight, but my concern is the Temp reading it's giving me.  It's reading 66 degrees in the humi.  I'm in Northeastern, TN and I do keep my apartment relatively cool, but 66 degrees inside the humi is worrying me?  Is this a big deal or am I just worrying too much.  Also Any suggestions on some good smokes for me to try.  I've delved into the world of Artuo Fuente, I've got some Medium bodied Churchills right now.  As well as some "Genuine Cuban Counterfeits"  I got a box of Full bodied Don Kikis that came free with my Humi.  I've developed a bit of a pallate and can handle the full body with ease and enjoyment, but I'm really looking to go into this full force and I welcome any suggestions.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    66 degrees should be fine, having the temp a little bit lower than the recommended 70 is not going to hurt your cigars. The main thing to watch out for is higher temps, mainly above 75 degrees as some nastiness can come around at higher temps, just ask madurofan.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    during the winter my humidor is lucky to get up to 66. It usually tops out at 65. the only temp you should ever worry about at all (and still only slightly) is 72. that is the temp where tobacco beatles fly and become active.

good smokes... ummm you already like fuente....
    CAO black.
    La Aroma De Cuba
    5 Vegas Classic.
    those are kinda in the same family as the fuentes. youll get simaler but still different flavors out of those. if you wanna go way different:
    Partagas Black
    5 vegas type A
    CAO italia
    Punch Gran Puro

dont be shy to try things youve never had. If you stick around on this board you can read our reviews and see what we all have to say about some cigars. You can get in on some of the games and trades. thats how i have found out about some of my favorite cigars.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You want your humi to be between 60 and 75 degrees. Above 75 is more of an issue than below 60 though.

Also is that cheapo hygrometer a digital? I'm assuming it is bc of the Temp reading. Never, ever trust an analog.
  • wilbr11wilbr11 Posts: 49
    It is a digital.  I was a bit concerned last night because after I posted last night I went to check the hygrometer in the Humi before starting my salt test it read 90% humidity in the Humi, even though the analog hygrometer that came with the Humi ready 61%.  I'm calibrating the Hygrometer right now with the salt test and it's reading around between 76 and 77%.
    if you have a digital and its reading seemingly off the wall RH, you may ned to put a new battery in it.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I wish they made a plug in hygro ... I hate relying on batteries they're flaky.

Also, Has anyone else tried a Don Kiki cigar?  Just wanted to get an opinion before I order any more of them from cubancrafters.com

It's a brand new battery, Just put it in last night
    Also, As a note, after leaving the salt test going overnight the Hygrometer ready a consistent 76% give or take 1%.  After taking it out and putting it back in the Humi it's now reading 89%.  Doesn't this seem a it unrealistic. but it's got to be calibrated w/in a percentage or so or the salt test wouldn't have turned out almost dead on.  Any suggestions for reducing the humidity back to around 70%?  The only thing I can think that could've raised the humidity this high was the fact I left my bowl of distilled water in there for 8 days.  Any suggestions?
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    My humi ran a very high humidity after I had activated it. What are you using for humidifcation? I was using beads, and they filled themselves up just soaking the extra humidity. I had to dry them out again to get it balanced. If you're just using straight distilled water, that will be a major problem. I recommend getting beads, or at least putting a PG solution in your current humidifier. Meantime, I'd say get those sticks out of there before they soak up too much water.
    Don't have any sticks in for now, still waiting for it to settle down.  I've got them in a Make shift 3 gallon Ziploc bag with a Sponge.  The Humi has the humidifier that somes with it, just the black box that velcros to the top with distilled water to charge it.  I've removed the Bowl of distilled water, but it's not had a noticeable effect yet. It has only been a few hours though
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    If you're using the black disc humidifier, you'll need PG solution instead of straight distilled water. Distilled water will run a very high humidity. Likewise, if you've got a sponge with distilled water in your ziploc bag, that's going to create a very high humidity level as well over time. Make sure the bag's getting a lot of air. Invest in some beads. It will make your life much easier.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    What duty said.

If you've got straight distilled water in one of those green foam humidifiers, that would explain the extreme humidity in your humidor. It won't come down until the foam dries out -- and then it'll crash way low. Get the beads or some water pillows (which are more widely available), and take the green foam humidifier out -- preferably, to a landfill.
    Quick Question, Where does everyone get their humi beads?  I can't seem to find them on C.com.  Or am I just not seeing them?  is it the Jar of Humi care?  Sorry Just clueless on the whole Humi thing.

NVM I found them after a google search.  God love google.  I guess 65% would be best or should I go for 70%

65% will tend to smoke better, many around here will tell you that, and I've found out myself through trial that 65-68% will burn and draw better. 70% is good for aging.
    heck... i even age at 65%
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    70% is good for aging.
    Just curious to where you received this info. Are we talking boxes, or singles?
    Actually I thought I had read that somewhere. I don't know it for a fact though, just passing along what I had read.
    For cigars that are to be smoked (everyday smokes) I see no reason not to keep them at 68-70. For aging, I would not keep them over 65%, perhaps 60-62%. I have over 60 boxes of cigars aging between 2-10 years, and have never had a problem with wrappers, burn issues, beetles or mold. All kept between 60-65%. I think you guys worry too much about humidity, beads, media, hygrometers, and gadgets to keep that magical 70%. The cigar in itself is a hygrometer. Feel it. Touch it. Give it a slight squeeze. Is it squishy? Too much humidity. Is is dry, brittle and cracks when you slightly squeeze? Too dry. Let your cigar be the answer. If more time was spent on enjoying the cigar and learning to distinguish subtle notes, and actually feeling the construction, instead of worrying about beads and hygrometers, you would get much more satisfaction out of the cigar, and not be kept up at night, thinking about humidor humidity. Just my .02. You can take it with a grain of salt.
    Capt:
    If more time was spent on enjoying the cigar and learning to distinguish subtle notes, and actually feeling the construction, instead of worrying about beads and hygrometers, you would get much more satisfaction out of the cigar, and not be kept up at night, thinking about humidor humidity. Just my .02. You can take it with a grain of salt.
    Keep in mind that there are a lot of people here who don't have your experience with cigars, a lot of new smokers who don't know any better than to pay close attention to humidity and such, myself included in that. I've only been smoking for 8 months or so, and speaking from my own experience, I just don't know the cigar itself well enough yet to not be so particular about those aspects. IMO that's why posts like these are helpful because more knowledgeable people help show you the way.
    We have all been there, being new. It's a good thing. It's a fun thing. It's an exciting thing. Hell, I still learn everyday. It helps to surround yourself with great friends like Alex and the folks at Cigar.com. There is not one person who will ever know all there is to know about this infatuation we have with tobacco. At times, we are sponges, here to absorb any info that comes our way, be it fact or fiction. It's hard at times, to weed out the facts from fiction. It's no good to relay info that, in fact, is not true. I wanted to help you understand humidity is a small part of this info. What I was trying to say by my post above is, don't sweat the small stuff! You'll look back in a few months and say to yourself, "This is easy, why did I worry so much about the humidity?". That is when the change occurs. Now that you are armed with the knowledge of humidity, it's time to move onto something else. Like construction. Or types of tobacco. Curing processes, blending processes, etc. That is when you will start trying to detect the differences between a Medio Tiempo wrapper vs. Costa Rican Maduro, and things of that nature. You will start smoking two cigars at the same time, to try to get the subtle notes of each cigar. I know I haven't been on this particular board for that long, but I have been on my fair share and hope to bring some knowledge to the table over here. I look forward to trying to help sorting the fact from fiction. Ryan
    Capt:
    I think you guys worry too much about humidity, beads, media, hygrometers, and gadgets to keep that magical 70%.
    agreed. i keep my humi at about 65%. i dont fret minor spikes. if it moved 10-15% then ill worry.
    Capt:
    I know I haven't been on this particular board for that long, but I have been on my fair share and hope to bring some knowledge to the table over here. I look forward to trying to help sorting the fact from fiction.

yeah.... so all you folks here on this forum think that i know what im talking about....
    a good portion of what i learned was from reading the posts from the good ol cap!! some of the newbies may seem to look at me in a "all knowing" or better yet "all opinionated" light. I have a tendency to do this to him.

ryan, you are a good addition to this board. I hope to learn even more from you.
    Kuzi, that really means alot. I know my first few posts maybe came off standoff-ish, and I appoligize for that. I don't post alot, I just like to sit back and listen. Please don't let posts counts dictate a persons knowledge. I am not just talking about myself. Look at Alex. I look up to him for answers alot, and he has less than 50 posts! I do not like to hi-jack threads, and will keep them on topic, one of my biggest pet peeves. But please feel free to ask me anything you want. I have been an editorial director for a substantial online vendor, and I also rep the mid-est area for a major cigar manufacturer. If I don't have the correct answer, I will not go on heresay, but will do my best with my find the answer! Ryan
    Opinion Question,  Does everyone just have a corner of your humi for your beads or is there a better place to place it?  I Googled Heartfelt Industries I think and they sell them there?  Any ways, Any suggestions on the beads and how to put them in my humi?
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Capt:
    I do not like to hi-jack threads, and will keep them on topic, one of my biggest pet peeves.
    Oh, you're gonna love this place then. It can be the most straightforward thread, you don't think there's any way it can go off track, then urbino signs in and it all goes to hell...

Take this thread for example, it's about humi temp, and all of a sudden we're talking about threads going off topic. Ironic, eh?
    Well Capt, I for one welcome anyone who knows more than me, which happens to be almost everyone, as I will be able to learn the most from them. I appreciate your information also, sometimes the only way I know I'm wrong is for someone to prove me wrong, and I can handle learning that way.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    Capt:
    I do not like to hi-jack threads, and will keep them on topic, one of my biggest pet peeves.
    Oh, you're gonna love this place then. It can be the most straightforward thread, you don't think there's any way it can go off track, then urbino signs in and it all goes to hell...

Take this thread for example, it's about humi temp, and all of a sudden we're talking about threads going off topic. Ironic, eh?
    Scrambler, Urbis not even here to defend himself. All the more reason to blame him !!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You guys must be talking about some other urbino.

Sex!