Home Non Cigar Related

Standing Rock pipeline.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some may have heard of this. Some may not.
But this week, it got a lot of press, only because a movie star was arrested for trespassing, while peacefully protesting.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/10/13/shailene-woodley-released-celebs-rally-around-her-and-publicize-nodapl-166074

The land rightfully belongs to the Lakota Souix and even of it didn't, I find it hard to believe that the DEQ/EPA is allowing it to run through a waterway.
In Oregon, we can't even do ditch work with out approval from DEQ.

Normally, I try not to take sides on political things, but if it affects one tribe, then eventually it may affect mine. And while I understand that the oil needs to move, there are less harmful ways to do it.

Just my opinion.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with them for sure! They are being screwed over.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What they want is for the dominate culture to stop poisoning the earth. The pipe line is slated to carry almost a half million barrels of FRACKED oil a day. The pipeline wants to go under or over more than 200 rivers, streams, and creeks. The land that the pipleland wants to cross is sacred to the Lakota people. All the Lakota want is clean air,water, and food.
    The pipe line construction is stopped for now, the constructors are waiting for a ND winter to clean out the protestors. 
    Remember the Greasy Grass.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
     dominate 
    Key word.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got a couple of friends there now.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now they are arresting the press.

This is the direction this country is heading in.
    If the press is reporting on something, they will arrest and charge the reporter?
    https://www.thenation.com/article/amy-goodman-is-facing-prison-for-reporting-on-the-dakota-access-pipeline-that-should-scare-us-all/

And a filmmaker was charged with felonies for filming the protests.  
    http://www.democracynow.org/2016/10/14/headlines/filmmaker_faces_45_years_in_prison_for_documenting_pipeline_shutdown

This has gone beyond an oil company protest, this now affects freedoms.
    Freedom of the press to report on things without being prosecuted or censorship.
    Now the First Amendment Article 19 is in jeopardy.

If they didn't want this to be brought to the awareness of the people on a national scale, they certainly went about it the wrong way.

This is a County protecting a corporation. A very blatant show of corruption.
    I can't believe that this has gone on this long and gone this far with out federal intervention. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    You cannot discard one amendment without undermining all the others. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

edited October 2016
    Agreed @webmost
    At first, most people didn't pay attention to any of this, because it was just the Indians. But now, it is receiving national attention, because the "authorities" are arresting media and public figures. 

I'm a little confused by the trespassing though. It's my understandin that they are on Federal land currently, which is adjacent to Lakota land. 
    How they are trespassing and how the county has jurisdiction, I'm missing that.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they'll have better luck than the folks down in Pecos / Big Bend TX did.  Basically, the Gummint makes sure the profits are protected, and the people can drink oil if they're thirsty.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    dirtdude said:
    Unfortunately, it has been blown out of proportion by some people posting pictures exaggerating it. It wasn't thousands, more like a hundred or so.
    Which it is still impressive and has great meaning to the native americans.

The remarkable thing is, the largest known herd in that area is from Jamestown, ND, which is 200 miles away from Standing Rock Reservation.
    Where that wild herd came from and why it decided to show up there, at that time is anyone's guess.

But it definitely has resonated through out most indian nations. 
    If they thought there was solidarity between nations before, this just bolstered it.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    Pipelines  are the safest ways to transport  oil. transporting by rails or road has 100 times more chance of a spill. 
    But then again i love cheap oil because i dont have one vehicle  that gets over 8 mpg.
    Pipelines  are the safest ways to transport  oil. transporting by rails or road has 100 times more chance of a spill. 
    But then again i love cheap oil because i dont have one vehicle  that gets over 8 mpg.
    Being "safest" doesn't always mean safe.

2014 pipeline incidents - 301, fatalities - 19, injuries - 94
    2015 pipeline incidents - 327, fatalities - 10, injuries - 49

Pipeline leaks and ruptures average 300 per year since 1996
    Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    0patience said:
    Being "safest" doesn't always mean safe.

2014 pipeline incidents - 301, fatalities - 19, injuries - 94
    2015 pipeline incidents - 327, fatalities - 10, injuries - 49

Pipeline leaks and ruptures average 300 per year since 1996
    Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration

With very few  loss of life, and thats with 73% of all oil transported by pipeline  
     accidents on the rails hauling oil almost all have loss of life,  including one hauling oil killing 47 in canada.

So i would say 300 leaks is very low since 73% of our oil is pipelined meaning millions of barrels a day.

So that is an acceptable loss?
    I'm not sure I follow that logic.

That's about 1 per day.

I'm not saying not to have pipelines.
    It's a necessary evil. But they should be doing everything they can to avoid crossing water ways and make that impact as little as possible.

Can you attribute those rail accidents solely to oil tank cars or were other rail cars involved and those leaking were a by-product of the derailment?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    So, do these protests demand a safe pipeline, or do they demand no pipeline?

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I think they're demanding no pipeline, or at least that the pipeline not run through the disputed lands or under the Missouri River, where a breach would have catastrophic consequences. 
    How else could you get to the other side of the river?

The original protest is the pipeline crossing the river adjacent to Sioux land and skirting Sioux land.
    Actually, looking at the proposed map, it almost looks like it may infringe on Lakota land.

But now, the protest seems to have shifted to how the indians have been treated and corporation influencing local law enforcement and the militarization that is happening there.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm no civil engineer or geologist, but if you look at the map of drill route you see that it heads west from the starting point site and then turns southeast on its way, crossing two rivers in the process. A different pipeline route have gone east and then turned southeast in a way that would have avoided crossing any major rivers. One wonders why that route wasn't chosen. Construction costs? Private property/population issues? Geographical/topography concerns? Political reasons? Was the current route easier because it traveled through more federal (i.e., unutilized) lands?