Home General Discussion

Mispronounciation

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I stopped at a cigar store in the big city before going ro the dentist. 
The guy there asked what brands I usually like and I said Torano.
Oh no, that isn't the correct way to say it. It is Tor a neo.
Ok whatever.
Then he felt he also needed to school me on robusto. It is rrrrrroboosto. Roll the tongue.

Yeah, I'm native american, we only roll our tongues in bed.  :D
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rude, so I would have called him a **** and walked out.  That is ridiculous, and terrible customer service.  Sorry that happened.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up at a cigar shop in Salem.
    The guy there was pretty cool. 
    Asked if I like AJ's stuff and showed me one I hadn't seen.
    LA GRAN LLAVE
    And knocked a buck off it, cause I came from the coast.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I asked once how to pronounce a popular brand name, and there was no resemblance of sound of the letters in the name, so when I go in a B & M I just point, i never pronounce the exotic names  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe when there's a tilde above the N in Torano it's properly pronounced Toranyo....  image
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya that guy is full of himself and manure...pronounced "man-you-are-eeeee"
    Marty is right......toranyo
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jeff. 

This is a part of life that I find amusing. We Americans have a way of 'Americanizing' the pronunciation of a good many names and words from other languages and believing we're the ones pronouncing them correctly. 

In Italian, for example, a number of words contain the letters 'gn' such as gnocchi, or the island of Sardegna. I try to pronounce those words like my Italian cousins do, but one of my brothers refuses to accept the correct way. He still thinks Sardinia is the correct name for the island and, in a way, he's partly right. GN in Italian makes an 'ny' sound so it's pronounced 'Sardenya'. And for some reason, he thinks gnocchi rhymes with donkey instead of hockey. Go figure. 

Another cigar example would would be the Casa Magna (Manya)

I could do a whole George Carlin routine about this or Spanish/Latin words that we mispronounce. Don't get me started....  LOL 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to pronounce my cigars.... toast, once I've smoked 'em.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first moved to DullAware, I was astonished how these cats out here butcher Spanish. Had a guy played for the Phillies, for instance, they called him Dye-azz (Diaz). MART-in-ez, Doh-MING-wez, ROO-iz. Not the least notion how to roll the tongue. But, hey, in SoCal I grew up surrounded by chavos. So it's easy for me. My wife is from Pennsyltucky. Shye can't even say water. It's wutter.

Yeah, that's spelled mispronunciation, by the way... no O in the middle.

I can put up with people neither spelling nor pronouncing. I do wish they had the least grasp of history, math, or logic.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At that point, I would have just started fuc%ing with him.  Ask for a 5 Vegas, CAO, Tatuaje.  Right before I walked out
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    This is FUNNY, come to New Orleans, where calliope is pronounced Cal le ope! and don't get me started on tchoupitoulas!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gess us hussers got noting ta woree bout.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I know how to pronounce it, just not spell it, because I listen to zydeco music. This is the version I first heard, not a very zydeco version though, I'll admit, but I like this band too. 

https://youtu.be/kFNiQOGWi_w
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dik-ter-diyo
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no Z in sink nor is there a y or an ie in the word soda.  
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gif
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Gif
    Hard G.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmao this is a funny thread!! Honestly if you know what the hell the guy means then why try to correct it?? I use to live pretty much at a lounge and all day people would butcher names...I knew what they meant and helped them out. If you seem snobby and try to school them then they will most likely never return! Crap I had a guy buying padron 45th's I said did you ever try the anejos since they are in right now. He turned to me and said I like mild cigars?!?! Yup I said well maybe one day you'll try them but for now your good with what you got
    Money can't buy taste
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Gif
    Hard G.
    GIF Sticker
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...