Home Non Cigar Related

Starter fishing gear for a child

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

So I know we have a fishing thread set up already.... but im look for specific info and dont wanna wade (pun.... did ya see that one? lol) through the posts to see if its been brought up already. So here we go!

My daughter is gonna  be 8 by the time fishing season comes around for trout in our area. She has wanted to go fishing with me for quite some time now. What im looking for is suggestions on starter fishing gear for her. I dont want to do that stupid pink Barbie or dopey My Little Pony setup... I would like to get her something legit so if she wants to continue fishing with me it will be a setup that will last. Suggestions?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Im personally using an Ugly Stick Lite and a Pflueger Arbor spinning reel. They have done very well for my needs and I don't plan on changing them out for anything else unless I start going for bigger fish than trout or bass. (I have yet to really get started on bass gear...)
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking for like an open face spinning reel?  If so then I would suggest looking into Ugly Stick rods with just a basic reel (a lot of times they have combos for good prices).  The ugly stick can take some abuse and with kids it will need to.  I know a lot of people like the zebco's for kids as they are easy but my 6 year old son has been using a spinning reel since he started 2 years ago and doesn't really have a problem.  Start with cheap line so when they have messes its not a big deal to just cut it and start over.  (hard to do when I put super line on all my stuff).

Other than that a small tackle box with simple baits/lures will work.  Beetle spins, shallow diving cranks, bobbers and hooks some plastic tails or worms.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Ill look at the Ugly Stick combos. :) The rods are fairly priced (IMO) and I don't think I would have an issue dropping money on another one. Im gonna go hunting for some combos and see what comes up.

As for the tackle box... I have a fairly decent sized one with all the items you mentioned. I have no problem with using what ive got. :) Its mostly cheaper stuff in my box so if something got dropped off a dock or lost in the water.... not a biggy. :)

Yeah I know my son really enjoyed getting his own box and he had to show it off to everybody.  He still uses some of my stuff but prefers to use his own.  He started off with just a small one and now I gave him mine and I have upgraded.  

1 thing to keep in mind for the youngster is a shorter rod.  Something like an ultra-lite or lite action will be good and easier to manage than a 7' casting rod.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

What im seeing on most youth combos is a 5.5 foot rod. I don't see anything much smaller unless you get into the Barbie line of gear. LOL

What tackle box did you get for your son? Do you have any suggestions for a box for a starter?  Or is a box just a box? lol!

That is actually the setup I was looking at as well. im willing to drop up to $100 on the rod, reel, tackle box and accessories. It seems like a reasonable dollar amount to put out and not feel too bad about it if she isn't into fishing as much as she looks like she might be LOL
    To me a box is a box.  I would buy it in store to make sure it seems of good quality and remember that it needs to be easy enough for her to open.  I'm not a fan of ones that have shelves that fold out.  I like individual containers or drawers as it will likely get dropped and things don't get as messed up that way.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

I like that box design. If she doesn't keep fishing with me... I may adopt that into my supply of fishing gear. lol thanks a lot for your input! I very much appreciate it! 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're on the right track avoiding the "my little pony" type rods.  Most of those kinds of things tend to not work well, they're toys.  It's like people who buy some piece of crap musical instrument for their kids, saying "if he gets good on it, I'll buy him a better one".  Nonsense.  How are they going to 'get good' on crap?  Hope your daughter takes a liking to it.  Good luck.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I think you're on the right track avoiding the "my little pony" type rods.  Most of those kinds of things tend to not work well, they're toys.  It's like people who buy some piece of crap musical instrument for their kids, saying "if he gets good on it, I'll buy him a better one".  Nonsense.  How are they going to 'get good' on crap?  Hope your daughter takes a liking to it.  Good luck.

I agree completely! I hope she enjoys it too... only time will tell! If not then it looks like ill be a solo fisher. Which isn't a big deal to me. but would be nice to have a father daughter activity that I can pull her out of school for. LOL

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a starter plug that she can practice with at home, will make being at the lake more enjoyable if she has had some practice beforehand.  If you go with an ultra light you can get a shorter rod.  She may be better off with a medium light rather than ultra light.  little easier to set the hook.  

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm a big fan of this reel......
    HOWEVER, the biggest downside with this one is that you can NOT eat your catch.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

matkn293 said:
    Get a starter plug that she can practice with at home, will make being at the lake more enjoyable if she has had some practice beforehand.  If you go with an ultra light you can get a shorter rod.  She may be better off with a medium light rather than ultra light.  little easier to set the hook.  

We have a casting pond near our house. I was planning on taking her out there to teach her the basics of casting once we get her setup. :) once I get around to pulling the trigger on her setup ill look into different rods
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but yup ugly sticks for beginners all the way! I would at least put a cheap shimano reel on it with 4lb mono and call it a day. Oh buy a lot of line since that is what will cost you the most through seasons! It kills me how much it costs at the beginning of the season but well I have too many set ups! And go mono it's cheap and easy to break off
    Money can't buy taste
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with a cane pole, some hooks, a bobber and a can of worms. Sixty years later it's fly rod all the way.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When I lived in Florida in '58 & '59 a local guy taught me to fly fish with a cane pole and no reel - just tied the line to the end of the pole. 

It was a little extra extra work flipping that pole but it sure built up some wrist and forearm strength. I didn't know I was poor in those days....  
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than that a small tackle box with simple baits/lures will work.    
    Her own box, that's key. Something she can pore over, shop for, and keep in order. That's how you own fishing.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)