Home General Discussion

Do you own a copper lined humidor?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

How long have you had it? do you like it? what are your thoughts on it? Post a pic? I would like to see how you all use your copper lined humidors!

There area  few in my area that I was looking at on craigslist. Love the antique look and it would force me to reduce (aka smoke down) my current inventory and keep only sticks I really like and want to save. Im currently hoarding some sticks that I need to try. LOL

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    jgibv said:
    no. 

but i do have an eath lined humidor.  and before you ask, yes. it is most certainly flat.

Wow!!! t-u-r-d (cant believe I had to come back and edit that so it didn't show up as asterisks....). LOL
    I have a milk glass lined humi that was my wife's grandfather's. Heavy hardwood, I'm guessing cherry.

I didn't know their were glass lined humidors! you have any pictures?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

There area  few in my area that I was looking at on craigslist. Love the antique look and it would force me to reduce (aka smoke down) my current inventory and keep only sticks I really like and want to save. Im currently hoarding some sticks that I need to try. LOL

Why would having a different humidor force you to reduce your inventory?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:

Why would having a different humidor force you to reduce your inventory?
    Because the standing humidors im looking at are significantly smaller than my current setup. :) I need to reclaim space on the top of my dresser that my current one is taking up. So I would have to smoke more often than I am right now and stop buying cigars for a bit.... so it will save me some money for a while too! LOL
    What im looking at doing is getting a cedar tray or two for my cigars, several 65% RH Boveda and some simple foam rubber weather stripping.... should make a fairly decent humi.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put one up if I get a chance this week. 
    I'll put one up if I get a chance this week. 

Looking forward to it! Thanks! :)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *laugh emoji* 

but for real, those antique copper/metal boxes would prob work fine.  

just be sure there's no residual odors in it. 

and make sure it has a good seal (sounds like you already thought about adding addition seals/weather stripping so you're on the right track)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I hope whatever is available when I can afford one.... I hope it doesn't smell like pennies.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got one. Used it for a nightstand. Ex-wife bought it not knowing exactly what it was. She just though it was good enough for a nightstand. She told me about the copper and I figured out what it was before we went to pick it up. I never seriously considered using it for cigar storage. No pics,.. Yet. How about you post pics of the ones you been seeing online?
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I gotta ask why would you put a good cigar in a copper Humidor? I realize these were popular back in the day and may look nice, but times have changed. 

I sure don't have any copper lined cigar boxes that my seegars have come in.

Not sure I get the logic other than a conversation piece or a collectors item. 

I may be wrong but won't copper produce condensation under certain conditions?

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fascinating examplies on Google image search

Copper Humidor Image Search

Milk Glass Humidor Google Image Search

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine copper causing any real issues if you take care of it. You don't see them anymore because the cost of copper has skyrocketed.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I'm looking at this one mostly because of what it is. I like that there is a poker set (space for a poker set) with a cover on top. 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/5885982558.html
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and for those of you asking "why were humidors lined in copper"....the top Google search result is this cigargeeks thread

James Pendergast -- New York, NY
    (Owner, J.C. Pendergast, Inc.) at 09:54:28 PM EST on June 17, 1997:

The period pieces that you are working with would probably be best suited with their copper or milk glass liners intact.

During this manufacturing period, the adhesives that were available to cabinetmakers were typically horsehide glues. But horsehide glues were not effective in holding joints under high humidity levels--and so the early humidor case manufacturers lined their humidors with copper and milk glass.

These materials were readily available at the time--and predated more modern materials, such as chrome and stainless steel, in metal working. The use of copper was adequate for cigar storage, because it was basically inert in flavoring the tobacco, and because it retained humidity quite effectively.

I would assume that the period pieces you are restoring would retain their value and place in history if kept intact.

Antique humidors were often lined with a nonreactive metal (e.g. tin or copper) to protect against mold and mildew growth.

The lining should not pose any problem for long-term aging of fine habanos; indeed, all cigars were aged in a similar manner by millions who possessed a desktop box before 1960.

Just so long as it keeps good humidity and the lid seals well. I believe the metal liners pre-date porcelain or milk glass, which was more common in the 1950's and later.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think Donald Trump should make it a law that we ALL have copper humidors, and copper thrones to sit on when we smoke, and copper ashtrays....
    A little dirt never hurt
  • mmarblemmarble Posts: 2
    I have 1 from the 1920's...and have a picture...
  • mmarblemmarble Posts: 2
    It's being used and has a bunch of Cuban cigars in it
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good way to Necro.   Nice piece.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.