Home General Discussion

Draw Tool

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the weekend I experienced my first extremely tight cigar. It was so tight that the stick was not enjoyable. I was ready to toss it and since I have the smart phone that makes me dumb, I logged onto here and did a search. Learned about the freezer process but seeing the cigar was already lit didn't think that was a good idea.  Saw about pokers and tools so went into the wife's kitchen as I knew there was some bamboo skewers in the drawer. It worked OK, but not perfect.  Did some more reading and saw that many mentioned a BBQ Grill accessory at Walmart. I actually stopped at two of them over the weekend and found nothing that looked like it would work. Checking Amazon it seems like a pretty expensive item for what it is.  What to you guys on here use? I have learned so much since joining that I figured someone would have a better idea than a Bamboo skewer.

Thanks in Advance

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried the bamboo skewer, also, with fairly disastrous results.  I have seen a tool, I believe it's available at a site we don't mention.  I'd be interested in finding alternate solutions, as well.  Hope some respond to this.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    this looks like a good approach:
    http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/664779/cigar-poker

also there was a dentist selling his version a few months ago, I bought one and it works well, but I can't remember his name or the web site. Seems like he just showed up here to sell his wares.

Oh, yeah, it was $40 here: www.perfecdraw.com
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the hit-and-run guy showed up to sell his PerfecDraw I picked one up, and even though it's pricey, the thing actually works and has almost paid for itself in saving a few sticks.

I also made a poker out of some1/16" wire I was going to use for making my version of the Stubble Nubbers - this didn't get used because it wasn't stainless - you can find it anywhere - and married a 5" length of the wire to a 4" piece of 1/2" dowel.  Works very well.  If you're going to make something, leave the end blunt.  It's an old carpenter's trick to blunt the end of the nail before pounding it in if you find the wood is splitting; a sharp point spreads the fibers of the wood apart and it splits; a blunt end will cut through the fibers w/o splitting.  So a blunt poker tool will do the same and cut the tobacco - if it has a point and simply spreads the tobacco, it usually just falls back in place after the tool is removed.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TaraLeeTaraLee Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    When the hit-and-run guy showed up to sell his PerfecDraw I picked one up, and even though it's pricey, the thing actually works and has almost paid for itself in saving a few sticks.

I've been interested in the dentist's PerfecDraw, and it seems to be earning it's price tag... I think I'm gonna have to get one :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaraLee said:
    peter4jc said:

I've been interested in the dentist's PerfecDraw, and it seems to be earning it's price tag... I think I'm gonna have to get one :)
    Well, it's your money, @TaraLee, but a piece of coat hanger wire is a d@mned sight cheaper....  :p
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several poking tools, none of them work very well.
    I usually end up just tossing the stick......
    The main one I use is the Havana draw enhancer.
    It has rasp sections on it, but the holes always collapse.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a large paper clip unfolded. Works fine, as long as I take my time!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plugged cigars are few and far between thankfully, but when it happens I try to tell myself to make something or buy something and then the need is forgotten. I've used various home-made implements with no satisfaction. I've had decent results with a paper clip, but nothing beats chucking the plugged stick and lighting up another. 
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's pure CT yankee stubbornness! I paid good money for it, and I'm not chucking it without a fight!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Plugged cigars are few and far between thankfully, but when it happens I try to tell myself to make something or buy something and then the need is forgotten. I've used various home-made implements with no satisfaction. I've had decent results with a paper clip, but nothing beats chucking the plugged stick and lighting up another. 
    Pretty much my thoughts.  It hasn't been enough of a problem to motivate me to seek a solution.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken, the wise man, once said, "If you have to poke it, don't smoke it."
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small phillips screwdriver.  Handle, fairly sharp point, little texture on the end, and its a multi-tasker.

• edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Google Tobacco Pipe Tool.  This is what I use.  It's made for Pipe Smoking but works great on cigars and is pretty compact.  Also really cheap. I think they start off at like $2
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the ideas.  I found a tool on another company's website that I consider very affordable and I found a few items just looking in a drawer in the garage. Still can not figure out what BBQ grill took folks mentioned though, wish someone had a link or picture.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a metal skewer. 

Image result for metal skewers
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    It's a metal skewer. 

Image result for metal skewers

Thank You

now I understand what was being mentioned. I have a few ideas of things to try until I find the right tool.  Several folks say just toss it. Why not give something a try? If it dosnt work or I ruin the stick, then it gets tossed anyways.