Home General Discussion

Mystery solved

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have two identical 100ct humidors, that sit side-by-side atop a bookshelf.  No air blowing on them, no direct sunlight.  When I get cigars, they go into the one on the right, that I try to keep at about 67%, after a month they go into the one on the left at about 63%, until smoked.

Lately the 63% has been fluctuating much more than normally.  There's always a kind of more rapid loss of humidity this time of year, but this has been crazy!  The 67% humi seeming to be unaffected, I started searching for poor seal etc., all the usual suspects.  Nothing.

Walked in and found Pancho, one of our cats, up on the humidor.  Caught him off guard, because he KNOWS I don't want him up there.  Lifted the lid, thermometer reads 87F! 

Dad-blame-fat-ass-cat! :#
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you solved the mystery
    A little dirt never hurt
  • EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    I know the feeling.  Our living room is a converted garage, so during the winter, it gets colder than the rest of the house.  My daughter put a space heater in there with her this past weekend, close to the humidors.  I went in there to grab a couple sticks for a party we were going to, and the humidity was sitting up about 75%.  Temp was almost 80*
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol well at least you know your not crazy......there WAS a reason.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff, I always love it when I solve a mystery!
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    That's crazy!! Your cats body heat was raising the Humidor Temp?? Holy smokes!!!!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least he wasn't using it for a littler box.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Well, at least he wasn't using it for a littler box.
    Don't smoke that gurkha...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flowbee said:
    That's crazy!! Your cats body heat was raising the Humidor Temp?? Holy smokes!!!!
    I figure that the hygrometer/thermometer is less than 1/4 inch from the body heat, right through the lid.  I don't know how much temp change there was deeper down, but the humidification device is also right there, being affected.  Unacceptable behavior on the part of the cat. 

I keep telling my wife I think he's an Alabama cat, and would be happier there. ;)

She thinks I'm mean. :*

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain