Home Non Cigar Related

Diabetes is a killer.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
My son spent the last 2 days in ICU in the hospital because of his diabetes. 
His blood sugar sky rocket and he was in and out of consciousness. They hooked up all kinds of IVs to him and he started doing better this morning. He is still under the weather, but doing better tonight.

He gets going and doesn't slow down to take care of himself. 
And trying to convince him that diabetes can kill him, just doesn't seem to work.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this brother.
    Keep your head up man,my thoughts and prayers are with 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tragically, the young all seem to think they're immortal....   B)
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully he will learn from this and know the signs. Just be the good and tough loving dad you can Tony. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why it is, but diabetics, especially young diabetics, all seem to live in deep denial. 

"I just want to be like everyone else" is what they usually say. 

To which you can only reply "but you're not.  However, if you fuel your body the way that your individual body must be fueled, you can have all of the important things that everyone else has."

It's rare to find one that heeds that advice.  Even when you can name the names and tell the stories of those that died.  I can think of half a dozen patients I had that died at either 26 or 27 years old, all because they wanted to drink beer and soda and eat pizza and ice-cream "just like everyone else". 

:(

I hope your son gets a grip and gets himself better.  It's almost always their own choice, live or die.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope all turns out well for your boy.  A friend of my daughter has been on an insulin pump since she was quite young. Maybe that is an option for your son? It is difficult to be young and full of life and have limitations put on you. Hoping that he adjusts
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this Tony, praying for your family and your son on this! Hope he learns from this and grows in a positive way :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's back in critical care. He took a turn for the worst last night. 
    They are keeping him on liquids.
    Not sure what that's about, but this hospital is kind of a joke.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The liquids are crucial.  When the blood sugar stays high, this is a hyperosmolar state.  As the blood circulates, it pulls more and more water out of the other tissues.  Muscle tissues, organ tissues.  The body compensates and compensates, especially in the young, until collapse results.  Often, not always but often, the hyperosmolar state also makes them prone to vomiting and nausea. 

(There's a lot of other stuff going on, too, at the cellular respiration level, but this is the Reader's Digest version)

When you're trying to do a fluid resuscitation, vomiting is not good.  During the dehydrated state caused by the hyperglycemia, one is much much more susceptible to stroke and heart attack. 

I'd say they know what they're doing.  If they were feeding him, they'd be wrong.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Amos_Umwhat
    I appreciate the insight.
    It really helps.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    We made it almost 8 years without a diabetic related trip to the hospital for my wife; until the day before thanksgiving when she totaled our car while out picking up lunch for her office.  The low didn't register with her like it usually does and came on fast.

Blessings to you, Tony.  Hope things go well and he can get back on track.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.