Home Pipes

Smoking in the Rain Tips

ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in Pipes
Sitting here, smoking my corncob, listening to the rain. Thought I'd start a thread on smoking in the rain. One I've read is keeping the bowl upside-down. Anyone got any others?
¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! -General Zapata
Post edited by ElJimbo on

Comments

• ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm of the mind that a pipe's a pipe and a smoke's a smoke.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could help, my friend, but I'm just not patient enough to deal with a pipe. I own a few but every time I think I'll dust one off and give it a try I just end up laying it down and reaching for a cigar. 

Seems like its stuff, tamp, light, repeat. And, like I said, patience doesn't seem to be my long suit.  :D
    edited December 2016
    Quite alright, to each his own as they say. But you did forget to add puff to your list.  :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooops. I did, didn't I?   :p
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the matches dry and your good to go, I've used the microwave or a desk lamp to dry my tobacco when it's humid out.
    Keep the matches dry and your good to go, I've used the microwave or a desk lamp to dry my tobacco when it's humid out.
    Some great tips, thank you @onestrangeone. I can't see myself nuking my baccy, but a desk lamp is plausible.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you turn it over you could drown
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    If you turn it over you could drown
    @dirtdude, if he were Popeye or Poopdeck Pappy he would just use his pipe as a snorkel/periscope/propeller...
    @onestrangeone, I meant no disrespect. I apologize if I offended you. It's just been a while since I've been able to chat like-minded people.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stay on the porch

;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    stay on the porch

;)
    That would be ideal, but sometimes one can't help it, such as getting caught in a squall while fishing... :p
    I mostly ask because I read somewhere that cobs absorb moisture, should I stick with briars when the humidity's up? Also windcaps, do they work? Pipes that already have them?
    That right there is an awesome pic of a determined smoker
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd avoid smoking in the rain. I'd find some cover and enjoy the rain and smoke from there. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An umbrella can work if it's not too windy.  I walked over to the nearby cafe and after a nice lunch packed my Baraccini Pocket Pipe #2 with some old Lane 1Q (the pipe kit has been in the back of my vehicle for quite a while, I need to load up some fresh tobacco) walking back to the office in a light drizzle.  

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good floppy hat works wonders in the rain.  And the great thing about a pipe is that you can flip it over.  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    Thatnk you @Yakster and @TNBigfoot68, nice too know some people aren't made of sugar and won't melt in the rain. B)
    @Yakster, what is that between the pouch and the lighter?
    Yakster said:
    An umbrella can work if it's not too windy.  I walked over to the nearby cafe and after a nice lunch packed my Baraccini Pocket Pipe #2 with some old Lane 1Q (the pipe kit has been in the back of my vehicle for quite a while, I need to load up some fresh tobacco) walking back to the office in a light drizzle.  

Bet you were a Boy Scout @Yakster, well prepared
    A little dirt never hurt
    The small black pouch came with the lighter, you're right about being a boy scout, I'm physically incapable of packing light. 

I'm sitting inside a small communication shelter, waiting for a replaced GPS reference module to lock up and provide a timing reference (which is taking forever), and thinking about smoking in the rain.  Raining today, getting another storm Friday and again on Sunday.  I brought my pouch and a tin of Escudo Navy De Luxe tobacco that I haven't cracked the seal on yet.  I'm hoping to find either a dry place to smoke or just load it up and take a stroll with the umbrella later and enjoy an afternoon smoke.

Times up, the oscillator is now locked up and I need to get back to troubleshooting.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmmmm, Escudo! Going to visit the cellar and look for a tin of that, I haven't smoked any in quite a while.
    mmmmm, Escudo! Going to visit the cellar and look for a tin of that, I haven't smoked any in quite a while.
    Edward, is your cellar anything like @peter4jc basement, scary indeed
    A little dirt never hurt
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude, I stocked up just before the PACT legislation went into effect, quite a lot of bulk flakes, etc. Now that my obsessive gaze has turned to cigars I have more than enough for my lifetime. My poor wife is going to have quite a problem should I pass on before her, lol.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude, I stocked up just before the PACT legislation went into effect, quite a lot of bulk flakes, etc. Now that my obsessive gaze has turned to cigars I have more than enough for my lifetime. My poor wife is going to have quite a problem should I pass on before her, lol.
    She will just have to smoke more!
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Not a bad problem to have Edward.
    My dad told me this week he was going to clean out his garage but decided to do what his mom did, leave it for the kids to clean out after she passed
    A little dirt never hurt