Home Non Cigar Related

It snowed down here today.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wish me luck. 

Image result for snow in the south meme

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday we got some snow and it took me 2 and a half hours to drive 14 miles to work :expressionless:
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snow, never of heard of it.. lol
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Wylaff said:
    Yesterday we got some snow and it took me 2 and a half hours to drive 14 miles to work :expressionless:
    I heard about the anticipated snow out there in the Sierra Nevadas. That sounds like awful. 
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Flagged

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunker down with some good sticks and spirits this weekend, I'm going to have to stock up on propane. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Hunker down with some good sticks and spirits this weekend, I'm going to have to stock up on propane. 
    I'm sure hoping to. Just got over a sinus thing I caught the day before Christmas. I have neither rolled nor smoked a single cigar in two weeks! Holy Corojo, Fatman! I feel like I ought to go to a meeting and get me a goddam chip!

Bearswatter gave me a 32" hi-def flat screen for the garage for Christmas. I  fully intend to hang that unit on the wall, plug in the space heater, break out some metric wrenches, fire up a StinkEye Parejo (my latest test blend), and fill that garage with thick and roiling smoke. Gonna look like the room upstairs at the Republican convention in 1920, in there. She'll be cracking open the door waving her hands ineffectually and complaining "That stink is coming in the house!" Yeah, live with it, woman!

New carb rebuild kit and new petcock for the KLR. Let it snow!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:

Now I know this statement to be BS, Nick was in Chicago while it snowed about 6-8 inches.  Remember @usaf06 it was that cold white **** coming down from the sky on Saturday. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snow here wasn't even sticking to the road and everyone was going 20 - 30 mph under the speed limit.  :(
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no worse drivers anywhere than Nashvillians in the snow.  As bad, maybe, not worse.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    There is a liquid falling from the sky right now. I, for some reason, was calling it rain. Thankfully the news just informed me that it is actually "wet snow".  :o

There are no worse drivers anywhere than Nashvillians in the snow.  As bad, maybe, not worse.
    The last time I was in Nashville I took the bus around and the shuttle van services. I felt safer on the bus.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've got a ;light covering of snow, but right now it is mostly sleet.
    YankeeMan said:
    We've got a ;light covering of snow, but right now it is mostly sleet.
    Same here in the Charlotte area. 200+ traffic accidents already. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B Bob.....This isn't snow, it is a dusting. Snow is at least 6 inches deep.

jd50ae said:
    B Bob.....This isn't snow, it is a dusting. Snow is at least 6 inches deep.

OK but, it still looked very much like this on I-40.
    Image result for snow in the south meme
    Not an actual photo from yesterday, but it does accurately represent the situation at several locations on I-40 yesterday between Nashville and Memphis.  
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Lol
    I love how a skiff of snow paralyzes the south.
    But I guess there is a learning curve. 
    I grew up in northern Utah, and I've seen 5 feet in 1 night and still went to school that morning. 
    Nowadays, they get 2 inch's and call school off.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    1. We ain't used to it.
    2. It turns into a sheet of ice.
    3. We never get used to it. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But do you ever get used to not being used to it?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Bob_Luken said:
    1. We ain't used to it.
    2. It turns into a sheet of ice.
    3. We never get used to it. 
    And everyone that moves here manages to blend right in after a few years.  :D

peter4jc said:
    But do you ever get used to not being used to it?
    I've never not been used to not being used to it.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Lol
    I love how a skiff of snow paralyzes the south.
    But I guess there is a learning curve. 
    I grew up in northern Utah, and I've seen 5 feet in 1 night and still went to school that morning. 
    Nowadays, they get 2 inch's and call school off.
    Sketch it was two feet down here where I live and they just delayed the start two hours. Lotta snow. I have a friend in Cache Valley, they got 3'+ Last week and did indeed cancel school.
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ire I will draw.

It's no wonder that a small amount of snow causes so many problems in a couple of southern states. Driving habits on a good day leave a lot to be desired.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    We have three feet of standing snow in the mountains and today's forecast calls for 12 inches of rain and 40 degree temperatures. The city has declared a state of emergency and anything in a flood zone is being sandbagged. And I have to drive over Donner tomorrow. This will be a fun weekend.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew up in Up State New York, so I know snow. That is why I now live in South Florida. Be careful out there. You may know how to drive in snow, but there are lots that don't
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, in the Seattle area a half inch will send everyone into a panic. Schools close, people stay home from work, etc. ad infinitum....

Been there, done that....   B)
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    I grew up in Up State New York, so I know snow. That is why I now live in South Florida. Be careful out there. You may know how to drive in snow, but there are lots that don't
    Where you from Diver? I'm from up near Glens Falls. Yeah, snow in MD or anywhere in the south shuts everything down, but part of it is they don't have the machinery to handle it. Up north they actually have enough plows to plow frequently and everywhere. Here we're waiting on the handful of plows to do the whole county. And people just don't know how to drive in it :-/ I learned long ago, don't bother trying to go
    out, not worth it!!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20 said:
    Diver43 said:
    Where you from Diver? I'm from up near Glens Falls. Yeah, snow in MD or anywhere in the south shuts everything down, but part of it is they don't have the machinery to handle it. Up north they actually have enough plows to plow frequently and everywhere. Here we're waiting on the handful of plows to do the whole county. And people just don't know how to drive in it :-/ I learned long ago, don't bother trying to go
    out, not worth it!!

I grew up in Rochester, right down the road literally from Lake Ontario.  Snow was measured in feet and we didn't get many snow days.

That being said, I dislike cold weather. We had a cold front come through last night,  It is only 50 deg. and windy, usually have coffee and a cigar on the patio weekend mornings. Not today! Do not know how you folks in cold climates do it
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I moved south, I've found that I tend to stay inside when it snows.  They don't have the equipment here and people are not used to driving in it.  It's like bumper cars.

Up north, they have the equipment and people have to drive in the stuff almost every day, so it's not quite so bad, but we do have accident up there also.