Home General Discussion

What would you do????

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you had this space for a cigar room.  I have been given the go ahead to turn this space in our basement into a cigar room.  I want to do it right the first time and am back and forth with several ideas.  I think I have settled on some that I like but do keep going back and forth.  I am looking or ideas of what you would do.  I am pretty set on the wall layout with the angled wall so as not to cutoff the double door leading out of the basement.  I have played with about a half dozen wall configurations and keep settling on this as it works for both sides of the wall.  I def want a cabinet tower humi (or two) and am wanting to make this a nice space.  Take a look and let me know what you think.  I am going o refine my idea when I have time and will post after I see some of yours.  Who knows I may incorporate some of them.  All in an effort to make the best space possibe the first time.  It is going to take some time as I want to plan everything accordingly and get everything in hand so everything fits properly.  Going to take my time and not rush. This could get costly.  

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only thought is 12x10 is a little on the smaller side unless it will be just you.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know but that is unfortunatly what I have to work with. Not my first choice but I'll take it. I think I can get 2 chairs and a love seat. Only looking for a coffee table and a small end table or two. 

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2014/10/diy-modular-outdoor-seating.html

Easy to follow directions an the modular aspect would be perfect.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good. Not sure if your floating the idea of a squared off entry or angled toward your double door. I like the angled look. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you like the angle wall but your actually losing room in the lounge.
    edited January 2017
    In Time @guitarded, in time. 

@jsnake, was thinking more of the area that is perpendicular to the exterior wall vs the angled wall. It's going to be a bit of dead space and really only there because of the window for natural light, not much else to do with that space should I wall off and leave that to the non cigar area. 

Albinfk said:
    I know you like the angle wall but your actually losing room in the lounge.
    I am and have thought about that a lot. Would rather give up a little space so the other area flows and is not totally cut off. Like have plenty of room coming in that door for larger items into the basement storage and don't want to lose that. 

So the door on the lounge would be on the angle wall? Looks like you have a walk out basement.
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks pretty cool @matkn293! I'm jealous! 

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun.  I'm sure you'll do a great job and it'll turn out 1st class.  Your space may not warrant it, but my dream is to have a room with it's own HVAC system and exhaust.  That's usually the one downfall of most man caves, the ventilation just can't deal with more than one or two smokers.  I would feel like a king to sit in cool clean air, smoking, on a 95* muggy day.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Door will be on straight wall near the window and walk out. 

Peter, I plan on having 2-3 bathroom style exhaust fans tied to a single duct exhausting to the exterior pending a conversation with some engineers I know. Not sure if there will be too much negative pressure with that yet or not.  Hoping that I won't have to put in a make up air unit. General ambient temp should be ok through the house HVAC units. Also why I want to have the window in the space for nice days that it can be opened for fresh air makeup.  

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For make up air leave a gap under the door or put a vent on the bottom of it. Anime rises and the vents will pull air enough that you should be good.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anime rises
    That's something one of my kids would say.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't considered it you might want to look into using a Rabbit Air purifier too, when we eventually get our own place Amanda has already said I can claim one of the rooms to build a smoking lounge in and besides exhaust fans I am going to be using this too, they use it in professional lounges and works amazingly well.

https://www.rabbitair.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BM3tT45peWrjcaNiBSeY1uAZPC3vmXnD3S04JqsSr4lxoCmJTw_wcB
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    mark, looks like a nice little space you have. 
    not huge but should be enough space for a few people, a cigar cabinet, and maybe a tv. 

i like the idea of including the window in your cigar room, i think you'll appreciate having natural light in there (and i see that you said the window does open....i think you should definitely keep the window as part of the cigar room so you can get fresh air in the warmer months)

however, personally i would not put the door on the wall  between the window and double doors. 
    i just think that it will feel very "cramped" coming in and out of the cigar room.   and good luck moving your seating (couch/loveseat/etc) around that tight corner. 
    plus you'd have to worry about the exterior doors running into your cigar room door....(we have a spot like this in our house where 2 doors interfere with each other and it's a PIA if you ever need to have them both open at the same time.)

if it was me, i'd move the door to the longer 12' wall.  and i'd probably do a pocket door so i wouldn't have to worry about leaving "floor space" where it will swing into either room.    

then i'd make the space near the window the "cigar corner" with a cabinet humi, shelves/tables for humidors & cigar accessories, maybe stick a mini fridge back there too.

i think something like this would be an ideal use of space....just my $0.02

Post edited by jgibv on

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That will be perfect, if Mrs.matkn is on board I would get it started pronto
    A little dirt never hurt
    Like the door location but think the pocket door would allow more chance for smoke to escape. The door would be closed probably 99% of the time.
    edited January 2017
    Many good suggestions.  I have thought about the Rabbit air and may incorporate that into the plans.  

Johnny, some good ideas you have presented.  Please dont take my banter the wrong way guys, just vetting options out loud and against what I am thinking to justify all of the options for myself.

I had not thought of the pocket door, that could be a viable option and could work pending layout.  There are a couple ways I could go with the layout.  
    I am not sold on the humi by the window due to natural sunlight and temperature fluctuations directly next to the window.  I have played with this option a couple times.  It may not be too bad if I go with a solid from cabinet but do like the idea of a "display" style with glass front doors.

Sectional is an idea that IU have looked at as well.  Would be nice to have a couch in the space.  There again depends on final layout.  

I am really wanting a (and is in the front of the line in ideas) is a central area that has 1 or 2 towers beverage center, possible bar sink, and TV.  For some reason I have had this pictured in my brain since I started concocting this idea a year or so ago.  Would def be easier in a larger space and could take up a bit f room but overall I think would really set this space of and be a major focal point.  I do need to do some more vetting of tower humis to determine what I would like there as that is the most important factor and at what size.  I have seen some hat are 24" wide and about 16" deep and that is what I am doing preliminary designs around.     Below you will see a quick sketch I did when I got into the office the other day after thinking about it for 45 minutes on the way into work.  

• GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I like the latest design suggestion also, but agree that pocket door may be a problem.  The extra room near the window would keep mini-fridge or humi out of the way.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very cool Mark, I hope this all comes together well for you and comes out as slick as it sounds and I am sure it will! 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Thank you all for the comments so far.  I appreciate your help.  I can t wait to get this going but definitely want it to be first class and a show piece as well as functional.  Keep the comments and ideas coming.  Nothing is set in stone yet.   

What would really be cool is a barn door style door but I dont believe that will be possible with how much air gap is between that and the wall.  I am not too worried how tight the door seal is as when utilizing the space the ex fans will be on and I will have a timer on them to run for a while after leaving the space.  Will need some of the outside ambient air for makeup since the overall pressure will be negative.  Alas, also do not want any smell getting anywhere else.  I am even considering removing all existing drywall, insulating, then putting in a layer of 6 mil plastic before drywall goes back up to contain anything.  this will def be done on the ceiling.  Entire ceiling has to come out anyway for exhaust and lighting.  I do work for an electrical contractor so lighting and controls will be a focal point also.  

hey mark....if you like the idea of a sliding door......what about a vinyl patio sliding door? 

not sure how that would look, but it could be a possibility, and you know that it would have a great seal since those are designed for the exterior of homes. 

That's my biggest concern is smoke smell escaping. Number 1 thing is to keep the wife happy. Great idea with the plastic on the ceiling. And cheap!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ideas, it's making me think about doing something with the spare bedroom.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Sounds like fun.  I'm sure you'll do a great job and it'll turn out 1st class.  Your space may not warrant it, but my dream is to have a room with it's own HVAC system and exhaust.  That's usually the one downfall of most man caves, the ventilation just can't deal with more than one or two smokers.  I would feel like a king to sit in cool clean air, smoking, on a 95* muggy day.
    We can talk, Peter. Your upstairs room would work nicely.
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    mark btw....if you need a bathroom style exhaust fan lmk.  i have an extra and it's all yours, just cover shipping.