Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Anyone up for beer trades?

RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im thinking local craft beers and a few 'bodyguards':)

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland

Comments

• SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm nervous about shipping beer... how do you ship it safely? I would be down but I gotta know how to ship it!!!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of bubble wrap Jeremy. I ship in large flat rates with lots of bubble wrap
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the bubble wrap. I use FedEx and I haven't had any problem. It's illegal to ship beer using usps.

Roland
    Let's do it Dave what kinda beer you drink?
    Just about anything but I do love my IPAs. How about you?

Roland
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put each one in a ziplock bag and shrink wrap it, before lots of bubble wrap.  If one does break it does not pour into the box alerting the usps that there is beer in the box.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep.  what these fellas said. 

easiest solution is to skip the bottles and only ship cans. cans are much less likely to cause problems, compared to glass bottles.
    if you're gonna ship cans, i'd suggest putting them inside of a ziploc bag so if they do leak it's contained in the bag and doesn't saturate the box. 
    bubble wrap around the ziploc bag and put it in a box. easy peasy.

but if you need to ship bottles....
    wrap each bottle individually in bubble wrap. 
    then put 3 (standard size, 12oz) bubble-wrapped bottles inside of a gallon-size ziploc bag. 
    then wrap the ziploc bag in more bubble wrap and tape it up. 
    place that inside of a box with packing materials. 

also, the "fuller" the box, the better.  empty space will allow things to shift around and cause problems so fill all the voids with packing materials (bubble wrap, packing peanuts, newspaper, etc.) 

then just box everything up, select your preferred shipping service, and away you go. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    If you are planning on shipping 12oz bottles go get packing tubes and cut them to size, put bubble wrap in the bottom, drop the bottle in and then bubble wrap around the neck. You can get 5 into a Large Flat Rate box.

Or at least, this is what I've been told  ;)
    of course todd @bandyt09 ; comes out of the woodwork for a beer thread......

hi todd!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Great ideas guys. I think I have a few things for you Dave. I am a fan of IPAs, wheats, blondes, recently tried the peanut butter stout from belching beaver that was good. Anything really. I'll work on my shipping technique and try and get you something out beginning of the week?
    Sounds good. Shall we say a 6er of different beer?

Roland
    We shall
    Your package should be going out tomorrow. A sampling of what Wisconsin has to offer:)

Roland
    Sounds good Dave I'm gonna pack something up for ya tomorrow as well
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a breeze.. you just lie!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    If you are planning on shipping 12oz bottles go get packing tubes and cut them to size, put bubble wrap in the bottom, drop the bottle in and then bubble wrap around the neck. You can get 5 into a Large Flat Rate box.

Or at least, this is what I've been told  ;)
    Sayeth the Master beer connoisseur 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about you guys not long ago when I had lunch at a local craft brewery. I'm pretty ignorant regarding beer (and lots of other things) but they have an IPA that I think is outstanding. 

I asked about whether they bottle or can their beer thinking I could maybe get some to some of you but was told that the only way they sell it to take out is in what they call a 'growler'. That didn't sound too practical to me in terms of shipping it to anyone. Particularly since I think they charge a deposit on growlers so they can get 'em back. 

So, I'm sorry. You'll just have to take the word of an ignorant beer drinker as to how good the beer is from this brewery. I was thinking about ya, though....  :#
    @jlmarta some places do 'crowlers' which are like 32oz cans. Those ship well but I know many places don't have the machine just yet. 

Roland
    Thanks for that, @Rolanddeschain, I'll keep it in mind. 

I'll have lunch there periodically and will try to find out more about how it's done. Here's a link to their beer list:

http://sutterbuttesbrewing.com/beer.php

The beer I referred to above is the Franklin IPA..... 
    Well, all this talk about beer and lunch got to me - so I took my child bride there for a late lunch this afternoon. I learned a couple things -

The food is pretty darned good but that's not the point of this thread. As for the beer and growlers and such, as I said earlier, the only way to buy beer to take with you is to buy a growler to put it in. They don't yet can or bottle their beers but they plan to in the future.

Their growlers are 64oz and cost $12. I thought a person could put a deposit on one and get your money back when you return it but I was wrong. If you buy it, it's yours. 

So, all things considered, I don't think it's very practical to buy it this way unless someone is quite anxious to try one of their beers. Sorry I opened up this line of thought but I figured I was onto something. 

A useless endeavor by the oldfart. I'll try to be more careful.....  :p
    Usually growers are a local thing. You buy a growler and get it fill with your local favorite to have at the house.

Right. I was under the impression that their growlers were only 32oz and that I could put a deposit on one. That way, I could ship a growler to a BOTL and he/she could return the empty growler to me to have my deposit refunded. But it doesn't work that way and I think 64oz would be impractical to try to ship. 
    Fingers crossed!
    Mine goes out after work today, I'll post the tracking then.

Roland
    Sounds good!

i hope there's something in there you like:)

Roland
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta Total wine and Bevmo both sell half growlers for less than $5. A local homebrewing show would have them as well. They also seal up tighter than a bottlecap, which would be great for shipping.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Ooooh. Cool. So, I take it a half growler would be only 32oz?  I'll look into that. Maybe I could ship to curious BOTLs after all. 

Thanks, Wayne @Wylaff
    edited January 2017
    Ok... @Smoothsticks
    Dude, you nailed the packaging! 
    I received a great selection of beers, a jar of Apple Pie(shine?), some pistachios and a great set of bodyguards!!
    I hope my package finds you as well as this one! 

Roland
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn homemade shine? Solid bomb bub!