Home General Discussion

Computer Build Questions...

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/78GWyf

That is a link to a new PC I am looking at putting together mostly for my wife for her photo editing and probably a little bit of PC gaming for myself.  

Any input on what I have picked out.  I may step up to an i7 but I think the i5 will be plenty of power.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhh WTF I was in NCR when I posted this.  I'm such a Newb.  Send me home
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    freakin' noobs, can't even post in the proper section :D:D

the i5 kaby lake is a solid processor and should be plenty powerful for what you're doing.  i think the i7 would overkill, and not worth the extra cost for your needs.

IMO the kaby lakes are not much of an improvement over the skylake processors.  if you can find a deal on skylakes, go with that....but if they're both the same price, grab the newer generation kaby lake.

if it was me, i'd skip the graphics card for the moment, and try running it with just the onboard graphics.  those integrated graphics are fairly powerful and you may not need the graphics card. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Thanks for the info Gibby.  I'm not sure if the geek in me can go without putting a graphics card in a system.  I also looked at the 1070 or the 1050 TI.  1050tI would cut about $100 off the price and the 1070 would add $120 but be a beast.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Thanks for the info Gibby.  I'm not sure if the geek in me can go without putting a graphics card in a system.  I also looked at the 1070 or the 1050 TI.  1050tI would cut about $100 off the price and the 1070 would add $120 but be a beast.
    haha i understand. 

fwiw - i run adobe premiere and a couple games on an i3 haswell machine (integrated graphics only, no graphics card) ..... with no problem.  also i only have 16 gb of ram in mine. 

so yours might be a little overkill for your "needs" LOL....
    but hey, if you got the budget and can build a top notch kick a$$ machine ... go for it!

Yeah right now I have an older AMD Quad core (forget model) with 16gb of ram and it struggles for the amount of editing my wife does and the size of the photos.  She has lightroom and photoshop open with multiple 25+mb photos open at a time.  I want to make sure she is not limited in what the machine can handle.  I am looking to keep it at $1500 but I also am setting up a NAS for photo storage which is going to add to the cost.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Oh and the other reason for a video card is we run a 2 or 3 monitor setup as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, new guy.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice setup. I'm looking to go similar, but looking at a 4 Tb solid state hard drive as the master and a 2 Tb solid state as the slave.

A friend has the solid state hard drive and from totally off to up and running in less than 10 seconds.
    He has a gaming system with tons of graphics memory, so between that and the solid state, everything is smooth and no lagging.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Yeha I will be running the 525gb SSD with OS and some games/software, I have a 1tb I will be adding that will store documents and non speed essential software.  4TB is photo storage and then that will backup to a NAS in house and then also to an off site location as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Yeha I will be running the 525gb SSD with OS and some games/software, I have a 1tb I will be adding that will store documents and non speed essential software.  4TB is photo storage and then that will backup to a NAS in house and then also to an off site location as well.
    instead of a NAS, why not just do a RAID 1 configuration on this machine? 
    that'd save you some $$$. 

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. In the Gen Dis, really? Some of y'all can Cash Me Outside How Bow Dah 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    jgibv said:
    Liability reasons.  If the computer would go down from a power surge or something of that nature I wouldn't want all the hard drives to go with it.  Doing it this way might be a bit pricier up front but could help avoid a lawsuit from a bride/groom if the computer would be toast.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

jgibv said:
    Liability reasons.  If the computer would go down from a power surge or something of that nature I wouldn't want all the hard drives to go with it.  Doing it this way might be a bit pricier up front but could help avoid a lawsuit from a bride/groom if the computer would be toast.
    ahhhh.  i see

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read that some people have problems with graphic cards in Lightroom.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My students tell me that I'm an analog guy in a digital world.  WTF language are you guys speaking?  ;-)
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    If you're worried about losing data and want a cheaper option consider CrashPlan. It is an encryped offsite backup solution. I have unlimited storage (1.5TBs so far) for about $45 a year.

Graphics card is def needed if you plan on playing high end games. I have a Geforce 1070GTX. I get about 60FPS on World of Warships. Great card. I went with an i7 CPU, because i built my server, err workstation as a Gaming PC, VMware Lab and regular workstation all in one. 

Won't go wrong with that video card.

"Long ashes my friends."