Home Non Cigar Related

Can you say 'Evacuation?'

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
A number of you have contacted me to see if we're alright in light of the situation with the Oroville dam. At the moment, we're okay. We were evacuated yesterday evening and spent the night in our car in the parking lot of a neighboring county's fair grounds. So many people were evacuated that all hotels, motels, etc. were booked solid. Not much sleep to be had sitting in your car....

We learned today that the evacuation order for our town, Yuba City, has been modified to an evacuation advisory. Other surrounding towns are mandatory. I don't know why there's a difference but we're presently back at home - for now. 

It's not supposed to start raining again until late Wednesday so we've got a couple days respite. We'll most likely have to leave again. We'll try to be a little better prepared next time. 

Many thanks for your emails and texts expressing concern. It just shows the love and camaraderie that exists among the brothers and sisters of the Leaf who populate this forum. 

This oldfart and his child bride love you all and thank you for your concern. 

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you are well
    Non Crux sed lux
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad your ok you old fart
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your ok Marty! 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Marty, let us know if we can help in any way!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang in there Marty, thoughts and prayers are with you.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I evacuated this morning. Usually do, most every morning, before my shower. The thing to remember is that the job is never done until your paperwork is complete.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta very glad to hear you guys are safe. Mother Nature can sure be powerful. That is a lot of water...
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I was worried.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers with you.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay safe and don't wait until the last minute to leave if you need to, best wishes
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If need be you are always welcome on my side of the mountain.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it, Marty. Stay safe.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay safe
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Marty be a touring oldfart, stay safe
    A little dirt never hurt
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you are OK Marty!  Be safe brother.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear y'all are ok. The cat too.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta so glad you are ok, I haven't been keeping up with the news over the last few days, and I haven't been on the forum either. I will add you to my prayers. Stay Safe.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you are in a safe place, and the charming oldfart attitude has not changed in the face of adversity!  ;)
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oldfarts qualify as curmudgeons, do they not?  I have an advanced degree in curmudgeonly. It's what qualifies me for my job as resident skeptic and lovable oldfart....   :D
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when the Grand Teton let go.
    Washed away a couple towns.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the word curmudgeon other day and my wife thought I made it up, a few days later we were with an old friend of mine and he said curmudgeon, and I laughed and laughed about it. We need a few curmudgeons in this world
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the word curmudgeon other day and my wife thought I made it up, a few days later we were with an old friend of mine and he said curmudgeon, and I laughed and laughed about it. We need a few curmudgeons in this world
    I'll volunteer, long as you stay off my lawn
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.  We old folks have to stick together!  Stay safe.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been keeping up with the news reports with you and the rest of the folks in my thoughts. Keep safe and stay ready to beat feet. Get all the important papers together and give them to a friend in a safe area. Oh, and waterproof your cigars.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All very good advice, JD @jd50ae. I'll take it to heart. Thanks, kind sir. .....  B)
    Glad all is well Marty 
    A little dirt never hurt