Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Pocket knives.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have Damascus, Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, Old Timer and an assortment of other knives, but I always seem to go back to my Old Timer Bearhead or Buck 110 lock blade knives. (Usually the old style, classics)
I love my pocket knives.

So I'm kind of curious what is your favorite brand and style?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old fashioned folders (non-lock) and almost always have one on me.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Kershaw Leak in my weak hand pocket almost always.  If it is a dress up event there will be one of several smaller others in my pocket. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    I have a Kershaw Leak in my weak hand pocket almost always.  If it is a dress up event there will be one of several smaller others in my pocket. 
    Have the Kershaw Amplitude, but looking at the Reverb. It's kind of small and cool looking.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered Thursday from Orleans, France. Arrived a day earlier than predicted, this morning, Monday, via DHL. ...

Came complete with instructions in literally 19 different languages, each printed way way too small for human eyes to discern, essentially warning customers not to stab themselves. Which is a shame, considering how much I was looking forward to some careless self-stabbery.

Best of all is the sharpener they peddle with it:

I stuck a little screwdriver thru the thumbhole of it, to tip it up, so that you could better see the two chips of of tungsten carbide mounted in the V slot It's these chips which do the deed. Instead of grinding away an edge, these tungsten carbide chips shave your steel! Works! I tried it on my fine old everyday companion, a carbon steel Tidioute stabber made at Queen City Cutlery in Titusville PA. A few strokes and it was sharped, leaving a wee bitty heap of steel shavings. First sharpener of this type I have ever seen.

So. Now I have to take my RedHead out to a steakhouse so's I can whip out my Deejo and impress her with the stylish sharp of it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

got a bunch of pocket knives but always have a Boker small stockman in my pocket. I use it at least a couple of times every day. The Solingen carbon steel takes and holds a fine edge with minimal work.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a pair of Kershaw Leeks, got one on me all the time. The other is a spare for when I miss place one.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Those Deejo knives are pretty cool looking. Abuse it for 6 months and let us know how it holds up.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

The Deejo website is almost like a video game, I think I have more fun on the website than I would with the knife. The way you can interact virtually with the knife on the site.

My EDC was a Leatherman Wave multi-tool when I was out and about. I picked up an Opinal My First Knife to cut tobacco plugs recently which has a rounded tip so I can use it to scrape a pipe bowl without risk of too much damage from a sharp point, but that Deejo is tempting.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carry a Benchmade spring assist; that one hande operation thing I obsess over. It stays scary sharp with minimal effort.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭

I usually carry a small AG Russel folder. It fits in that small watch pocket of your jeans.

• Options

I think about all the pocket knives that I had as a kid that I thought were cheap, now they'd be collectable.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had many, but I always have a swiss army hunstman in my pocket. Break it or lose it, I get another. Or if TSA takes it away, because I look like such a dangerous fellow.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

A man's not dressed unless he has a knife. Kershaw Leek for EDC a Kershaw Blur when I go to town.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Here’s a photo of my Opinel plug knife with an Ulu I picked up at a thrift store, the Ulu does a much better job at cutting tobacco plugs, here I’m mixing G&H Coniston Cut Plug and Bosun Plug 50/50 by weight. I did just use the Opinel to scrape some of the cake out of one of my pipes, even though I have a reamer set. Clearly the Ulu is not a pocket knife.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Clearly the Ulu is not a pocket knife.

You just need bigger pockets.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Any knife can be a pocket knife if you leave the blade exposed.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also use a Kershaw Leek, quite happy with it still.

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭

I carry a small hawkbill. Not fancy but functional. Great for opening packages. I would like to have more but now is not the time

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@variant2 usually has a nice blade or two, whats up Nico?

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    Ordered Thursday from Orleans, France. Arrived a day earlier than predicted, this morning, Monday, via DHL. ...

Came complete with instructions in literally 19 different languages, each printed way way too small for human eyes to discern, essentially warning customers not to stab themselves. Which is a shame, considering how much I was looking forward to some careless self-stabbery.

Best of all is the sharpener they peddle with it:

I stuck a little screwdriver thru the thumbhole of it, to tip it up, so that you could better see the two chips of of tungsten carbide mounted in the V slot It's these chips which do the deed. Instead of grinding away an edge, these tungsten carbide chips shave your steel! Works! I tried it on my fine old everyday companion, a carbon steel Tidioute stabber made at Queen City Cutlery in Titusville PA. A few strokes and it was sharped, leaving a wee bitty heap of steel shavings. First sharpener of this type I have ever seen.

So. Now I have to take my RedHead out to a steakhouse so's I can whip out my Deejo and impress her with the stylish sharp of it.

Good looking knife, how is the steel?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@Diver43 said:

Good looking knife, how is the steel?

They tell you it's Z40C13, which is sposed to be 420 stainless, with 56HRC, or about the same as a chef's knife. But I don't think that's what they are selling. The sell here is a minimalist ultralight decorative blade.

Of course I have no idea yet how it will hold up.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Davis, does that knife have a small top retainer latch in the shape of a bee? If it does that's a insignia of Napoleon and there is only a few places in France that are licensed to make that knife.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple Kershaw Leeks and a couple Swiss Army knives that were the bee's knees when I got them as a kid. Is it bee's knees or bees' knees? Whatever.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    Davis, does that knife have a small top retainer latch in the shape of a bee? If it does that's a insignia of Napoleon and there is only a few places in France that are licensed to make that knife.

I see
    no bee

• Options

Yep, just like mine.

• Options

@CharlieHeis said:
    I've got a couple Kershaw Leeks and a couple Swiss Army knives that were the bee's knees when I got them as a kid. Is it bee's knees or bees' knees? Whatever.

bee's,
    please