Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Getting a new confuser

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Non Cigar Related
Getting a new PC and what's the easiest way to transfer all your crap from one hard drive to the new one?
Should I just put the old hard drive in as a slave?
I plan on using the old hd as a slave anyways, as it's 1 Tb.
Can the programs that are on the slave be run from the slave or do I need to re-install them?
Cause that's kind of a pain in the a$$, not to mention I'd probably have to find the keys all over again.

Is there an easy way to get all the programs installed or is it the pain that I think it is?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way is to have the guys at Best Buy where you bought it hand it to you that way
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    There is no Best Buys here.
    For that matter, there isn't anything here.
    Wait, we have McDonals and just got a Taco Bell.

So, it will come to me on UPS and it's all up to me.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with UPS, Tony @0patience. Let's hope your item arrives all in one piece....   :#
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Getting a new PC and what's the easiest way to transfer all your crap from one hard drive to the new one?
    Should I just put the old hard drive in as a slave?
    I plan on using the old hd as a slave anyways, as it's 1 Tb.
    Can the programs that are on the slave be run from the slave or do I need to re-install them?
    Cause that's kind of a pain in the a$$, not to mention I'd probably have to find the keys all over again.

Is there an easy way to get all the programs installed or is it the pain that I think it is?

i would suggest doing a fresh re-install of all the programs on the new computer.

then copy over any data files manually.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do this for a living but on the Apple side of things instead of the PC side. Personally I prefer to go the route that Gibby suggested, do a fresh install of any of the programs you want and then using an external HD manually transfer the files you want from your old HD to your new computer. Keeps everything clean and doesn't bring over old clutter. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a hard drive start to go in my laptop a while back.  I bought a cable which attached to the hard drive (after I took it out) and plugged into the USB port.  There was a program which copied the old one to my new hard drive.  Worked like a charm.  

It was a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD cable.  May be different depending on your existing hard drive, but if you search it you should find some info.  I think it was around $10
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Know any 7 year olds? Always worked for me.
  • Options
    Got it today.
    I need a hard drive cable that is a little longer to use my old hard drive.
    But it's up and running and working great.
    The nice thing is, Google loaded everything to my new hard drive. 
    email, bookmarks and all that. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: