Home Non Cigar Related

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure they have no interest in hearing me slur words on vherf and yea, catching the bad guys is always cool but can they actually tap my phone, even when I am not talking on it.  Why? 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Pretty sure they have no interest in hearing me slur words on vherf and yea, catching the bad guys is always cool but can they actually tap my phone, even when I am not talking on it.  Why? 
    Yes, they can. As long as the phone is on, they can listen to everything that goes on around it.
    Will they? Most likely not.

Unless they have some reason to suspect you of something.
    Xbox kinect, Amazon Echo, Google Home, TVs with webcams, regular webcams and all that, they can have access to them.

Again, it isn't likely that they will, but  the technology is there for them to use, if the need is there.

We have provided the govt woth everything they need to keep tabs on us and most wouldn't give up the technology. 

As for reasons, for most of us, there really isn't a reason to. But for those who've drawn attention to themselves, they will cite national security.

I agree with it and disagree with it.
    I feel it is a necessary tool, that might save lives, but on the otherhand, privacy laws are there for a reason. So it's a double edged sword.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

I feel it is a necessary tool, that might save lives, but on the otherhand, privacy laws are there for a reason. So it's a double edged sword.
    This^^^
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    0patience said:

... it's a double edged sword.
    History is replete with double edged swords. They always get swung back the other way. Always. Power corrupts.

Anonymous bureaucrats now do we don't know how much of we don't know what-all to we don't know who-all exactly what lost Nixon his job, yet we're all for it if it keeps us safe.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Some awesome tech tho, innit? And I thought that cartoon was funny. I love that ESPN ad with Katie Nolan and Alexi Lalas. Any of you guys see that? Hilarious. Can't find a vid of it on YouTube. Plus Katie's always cute as a button. We have a grandson named Alex and an Amazon Dot. Damn Dot goes off all the time.

Nana: "Alex, are you hungry?"
    Dot: "Playing Hunger Games." 

We have an Echo too; but I've never set it up.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if the Govt was watching me through my TV I got nothing to hide.

However, if they did then the Govt. owes me around 15,000 tokens from my private shows on Chaturbate. Nothing's free. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charge them interest @miller65rod
    A little dirt never hurt

From these two teeth of horses' ancestors scientists deduce that global warming will reduce the size of mammals by 15%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/15/climate-change-could-shrink-animals-warn-scientists/

Watch out. In a few years your great dane may only be a dane.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    dirtdude said:
    Yes, they can. As long as the phone is on, they can listen to everything that goes on around it.
    Will they? Most likely not.

Unless they have some reason to suspect you of something.
    Xbox kinect, Amazon Echo, Google Home, TVs with webcams, regular webcams and all that, they can have access to them.

Again, it isn't likely that they will, but  the technology is there for them to use, if the need is there.

We have provided the govt woth everything they need to keep tabs on us and most wouldn't give up the technology. 

As for reasons, for most of us, there really isn't a reason to. But for those who've drawn attention to themselves, they will cite national security.

"I am waiting for the day that sweet Ole Ms Jones in no where special, buys the last computerized appliance needed, and plugs it in. The circuit will be complete and the takeover will begin. The machine will rule."

Remember when I posted this. Huh....do ya.....
    webmost said:

From these two teeth of horses' ancestors scientists deduce that global warming will reduce the size of mammals by 15%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/15/climate-change-could-shrink-animals-warn-scientists/

Watch out. In a few years your great dane may only be a dane.

You mean all the mini horses we rescued is because of climate change? Well, hell, bring it on.
    jd50ae said:
    "I am waiting for the day that sweet Ole Ms Jones in no where special, buys the last computerized appliance needed, and plugs it in. The circuit will be complete and the takeover will begin. The machine will rule."

Remember when I posted this. Huh....do ya.....
    Yup and I agree. 
    While I don't think we are headed for Terminator 3, I do think we are becoming to reliant on technology and that I am not so concerned about the machines, but the people running the machines and making the codes.

Asimov's laws of robotics may be put into play, but if the people coding the robots change the laws, there is nothing to stop them.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

webmost said:

She has finally admitted doing it so I imagine the DNC will promote her.

Australian researcher says he's found the best way to pour ketchup from glass bottle

Please tell me US tax dollars didn't pay for this crap....................

....my eyes......
    webmost said:

WTFO
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

WTFO
    ... and for all we know, that may be the new PC acronym for that gender confusion

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webby, is that you??

Nice horns......

:p 
    webmost said:

WTFO
    ... and for all we know, that may be the new PC acronym for that gender confusion
    Another pronoun.....????
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

"Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse."
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great quote from a great movie
    Non Crux sed lux
    edited April 2017

PETA Says Milk Is A ‘Symbol Of White Supremacy’

Oh for pete's sake......why are these people allowed to talk, oh yea, freedom of speech. Wish they would go back to posting photos of xxxxxxx indoctrinated naked female celebrities.

jd50ae said:

Oh for pete's sake......why are these people allowed to talk, oh yea, freedom of speech. Wish they would go back to posting photos of xxxxxxx indoctrinated naked female celebrities.

Indoctrinated??  Inebriated??
    jd50ae said:

So where does chocolate milk fit into that doctrine?   :#
    That somehow reminds me of this picture:

@webmost
    Under what circumstance did you find that image?
    I can't even imagine what you were looking up to come across something like that. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience said:
    @webmost
    I can't even imagine what you were looking up to come across something like that. ROFL!

Looks like he is tossing that animal's salad.

@Yakster should send him his rubbage he pulled today to help that poor guy out.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

0patience said:
    @webmost
    Apparently, this is common practice among a host of cattle herding tribes. I think it's called phooka, tho they are prolly just spelling that term in such a way as to get it past NatGeo censors. The idea is that if you blow air into a cow's vag that stimulates her milk. Herodotus claims the old Scythians did the same. 

My mind is like an Okie's back yard: old busted water heaters, bits off a tractor, two cars on blocks, a pile of lumber where the blacksnake lives, and a mean dog chained to an engine block. Nothing interesting & of no consequence gets thrown away.

I think we should seriously think of someway to help @webmost. Normally interesting posts with some good thoughts have turned into me being forced to see my eye doctor twice in two days. What happened to the cynical but intelligent wordsmanship we all came to love? Where is the to the point or read between the lines accumulation of rich words and phrases? One by one they fall.....and we left to wonder....
    So, I was thinking about a gofundme account in my name and hire a shrink.