Home Non Cigar Related

Plywood costs

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to go get a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood for shelving in the walk in pantry today.
$31 a sheet. Holy ****!!!
6 shelves, 2' wide 8' long cut from 3 sheets is almost $100.

Talk about sticker shock. LOL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeez. And you're in practically the plywood capital of the world - you'd think prices would be lower up there.... 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Jeez. And you're in practically the plywood capital of the world - you'd think prices would be lower up there.... 
    LOL! 
    Yeah, we even have a plywood mill in town. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited March 2017
    I'm not surprised. As far back as 1952 I used to cut peeler logs up in Washington state. A buddy and I had a little gyppo logging outfit for a while....  

Lotsa plywood comes from that corner of the country...    
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laws of supply and demand don't seem to work the way I'd think.  Here in our county, I knew at least 2 - 3 farmers who, 20 years ago, were raising anywhere from 25,000 - 250,000 hogs each.  Yes, that many.  All gave it up, because they couldn't make money.  Good bacon now goes for $8.99 / lb.  Everywhere I drive, I see cows.  T-bones are selling for $19.00/lb at Walmart. 

Crazy!  :/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Lucky the bacon is still $8.99 where you live, Walmart spiked it to $11.99 for the good stuff here in Tomball Texas. Went to buy some and I saw the price...all I can say is WTF! Straight up supply and demand at its finest, people still buying it too.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Maybe you should be investing in pork bellies on the futures market.... 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get homemade bacon from a butcher for 6.99 a pound, almost once a week.  I would not have a cigar budget any more if I had to pay 11$.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get homemade bacon from a butcher for 6.99 a pound, almost once a week.  I would not have a cigar budget any more if I had to pay 11$.
    Geez, I thought i was paying to much for homemade (behind the butcher shope), thick cut, cherry smoked bacon for $4.99. Sometimes it is on sale for $3.99 and I buy a ton to freeze!
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Local bacon here is 4.99 a lb. Honey Cured, from a local butcher. Goes great in literally everything.

0patience said:
    Went to go get a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood for shelving in the walk in pantry today.
    $31 a sheet. Holy ****!!!
    6 shelves, 2' wide 8' long cut from 3 sheets is almost $100.

Talk about sticker shock. LOL!
    Where the heck are you shopping? I can go to a local lumber yard here and pay half that. Might be time for you to take a trip into Washington. xD You are what? 10 minutes from the border.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to make a run up to Aberdeen if it's that much cheaper.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: