Home Cigar 101
Options

Developing Your Palate

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Can't say that I have, happily. OTOH, butyric acid is also a prominent component of butter (hence the name), and I have had cigars that tasted buttery.
    THis is why we love you urbs. Your knowledge always makes us go bleeehhh
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    It's my ministry.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Anyone hear from sirious?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he is just on Vacation or something, I'd hate to add his name to the list of " Lost Boys ". Other guys we are missing.. Lasabar, Pilot, and the Captain.. You too Duty Joe !! Your lurking but not adding your three cents..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Capt is still hunting im sure.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    As long as he wasn't hunting with *** Cheney all should be fine...unless he got mauled by a grouse, I hear they can be quite vicious. :)
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    As long as he wasn't hunting with *** Cheney all should be fine...unless he got mauled by a grouse, I hear they can be quite vicious. :)
    LMAO you can't even say **** Cheney!
  • Options
    ScoobyScooby Posts: 7
    This is an amaizing concept! Being a cook also, I enjoy a variety of flavors and things that will stimulate my taste and smell senses. Awesome!
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    Better yet chew on your wifes leather shoes, this may led to somthing hehe!
  • Options
    robert69165:
    Better yet chew on your wifes leather shoes, this may led to somthing hehe!
    then shell have to buy more...

id rather spend the money on cigars.
  • Options
    divemttdivemtt Posts: 3

Does this mean I have to smell my fart before I can fairly say a bad cigar tastes like crap? Or will smelling a fart while smoking then make my good cigar taste like crap? Smile [:)]

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    divemtt:

Does this mean I have to smell my fart before I can fairly say a bad cigar tastes like crap? Or will smelling a fart while smoking then make my good cigar taste like crap? Smile [:)]

Yes, and maybe. Honestly, I really don't want to find out if either of those are true.
  • Options
    T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239

Kuzi, the second I started reading this thread it really peaked my interest, because I have personal experience with the innerworkings of the nasal passasge, the olfactory sensors, and the chemistry of smell itself. Why you ask? Well a little over a year ago, I was ran over by a car and I came out of it with a fractured skull and a severe concussion (along with some nerve damage in my leg and an aching spine). Anyway, it took me almost a week to realize that I couldn't smell anything, anything at all. You name it, I couldn't smell it. My doctor told me that my olfactory nerves had been completely severed by the severity (lol) of my concussion and he honestly couldn't tell me if they were going to reattach to the point where I could ever smell again. Here's the kicker, I couldn't notice a single difference in the way I taste food. It was since then the day that I began smoking cigars (bought a Punch from the local smoke shop and said "damn this is good!") But as I have been getting more and more into the hobby of collecting and smoking cigars it has really begun to make me think about my affliction in new and different ways. When I hear you and other more seasoned cigar smokers talking about developing your palate and cycling smoke through your nose I begin to wonder: 1) Is this why I prefer stronger cigars even though I am a novice smoker? 2) Is there something I am missing from each and every cigar I have? 3)Perhaps my olfactory sensors work when I am blowing out and not when I am sucking in? Because I have tried the retrohale (as I have heard it called) with results that brought tears to my eyes. You seem to be a very knowledgeable chap and I was wondering if you had an opinion on this, anything I could benefit from knowing, or maybe even some suggestions.

Thanks,

Tyler Gervais

• Options
    wow. run over by a car? damn.

im not really sure if i can even comprehend how bad that sucks.
    i hope the recovery is going well. i hope you can have many cigars in your future.
    T. Gervais:
    1) Is this why I prefer stronger cigars even though I am a novice smoker?
    Maybe.
    though many stronger bodied cigars are full flavor not all full flavor cigars are full body. Flavor is something you taste. body is something you feel.

maybe you just like stronger cigars. I know when i started i liked the fuller end almost right off the bat. the initial "mild cigar trial period" was very short.

also, i knew i liked cigars before i was pushing some smoke out through the nose.

are you able to smell anything now?
    the brain and nervous system seem to work in ways that still baffle science. maybe there are a few things that you can pick up, and some things that you cant. maybe taste is your trigger for smell, not the usual other way around.

iduno. im not a neurologist...

but i did stay at a holiday inn...
    T. Gervais:
    2) Is there something I am missing from each and every cigar I have?
    Maybe. but at some point, does it matter?

though developing your palate is a fun way to explore cigars, it is not essential to the hobby. the point is enjoyment and relaxation.
    as long as those two things are brought to your life by cigars, who cares how developed your palate is.
    T. Gervais:
    3)Perhaps my olfactory sensors work when I am blowing out and not when I am sucking in? Because I have tried the retrohale (as I have heard it called) with results that brought tears to my eyes.
    that could be. maybe the crazy amount of smoke through the nose makes the very weak connection work.

they tears may be because the smoke is way more harsh than what you are uset to pushing out. the burn may be just that.
    T. Gervais:
    You seem to be a very knowledgeable chap and I was wondering if you had an opinion on this, anything I could benefit from knowing, or maybe even some suggestions.
    me? knowledgeable? i got you fooled....

i have an opinion on just about everything.

any more questions and you know where to find me.
  • Options
    T. GervaisT. Gervais Posts: 239
    Thanks for your opinions =) And there is some good news, recently I have been noticing more and more things that I can just barely smell. For instance, after chopping the basil for the omelet I just ate I took a big whif of it and got just a teeny bit of basil smell, so it appears that things are slowly on the mend. The optomistic cigar lover inside of me wants me to believe it might even be the cigars that are helping my recovery. As if they are giving my senses some sort of exercise to make them stronger. You are right that palate developement isn't key to cigar smoking and as long as I keep enjoying tasty cigars and continue to slowly regain my sense of smell I'll be one happy guy. You should also know that besides the smell thing I made a full recovery long ago so I am still physically and mentally (some may argue) whole and unchanged.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Just wanted to say this thread is awesome... I actually printed some messages from here and am collecting them in a binder! lol... Hm... Has anybody here thought about making a small cigar book together? There is a lot of knowledge on these forums... I once was part of an experiment like that. It is different, but it will give you an idea what I have in mind. I was part of this forum of fantasy lovers and we were all writing short stories.. So... We gathered the best (after we agreed on a common topic and length) and put them in a short story book that we published... I can see something like this working here! Several articles/essays on various topics gathered in a book! It has to be decent writing though and definitely in the article/essay format. I think it could work though! And maybe we can get cigar.com to "sponsor" it a bit. Even a small count of the book would be nice. The best part - it can be done totally electronically and distributed online! I have people at Amazon and we can sell it and promote it there! Ok... Enough... Just tossing some ideas ;)...

Cheers!
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    edited
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I really appreciate the advice you put out on these boards, I am trying to develop my palate, and will definitely try the through the nose trick. Us noobs need advice like this
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Kuzi please name a couple of stiks you consider full flavored and a couple you consider full bodied...and if you decide to take this mission...maybe a couple that are both full flavored and full bodied.
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Kuzi please name a couple of stiks you consider full flavored and a couple you consider full bodied...and if you decide to take this mission...maybe a couple that are both full flavored and full bodied.
    full flavor: Ashton Classic, Avo Domaine, NUB Connecticut, Arturo Fuente natural 8-5-8, Cusano 18.
    all of those are full flavor but are still mild to medium in body.

full body: Camacho Diploma, El Cobre, LFD Double Ligero.
    those are full in body and flavor
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Excellent..thanx Kuzi..gonna give the 8-5-8 and the Camacho Diploma a try..had been questioning whether to give the 8-5-8 a shot, hear lots about it...
  • Options
    eat a meal before the camacho. dont smoke it hung over.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hey Kuzi, on the El Cobre, I know it's one of your favs, but I don't remember it being easy to find. I did a quick search and found a few places selling them. Is it still the same blend that was onced (I think a few times) praised by your palate?
  • Options
    i think it is. i dont remember hearing anything about a change.
  • Options
    Cool, I couldn't find anything on a change in blend, but I noticed that they are easier to find now or maybe they've just gotten more popular and more available, so I had lingering thoughts that it may be a new blend. Just thought I would check with the master. Thanks Kuzi.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Even if the El Cobre is a new blend, it's still a pretty good cigar, and the price isn't bad either. I bought a bundle of the toros probably about 18 months ago, and they've been consistently better with each one I smoke, so I can only assume the time is doing them good.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    ...they've been consistently better with each one I smoke, so I can only assume the time is doing them good.
    i have some from 06 in my humidor.
  • Options
    I've reached a transition in my palate development where I'm no longer trying to sample everything, but refine what I like the most in cigars so that (as kuzi and others have said) every cigar is a special occasion because I know it's that good. Not that I'm not going to sample and try new cigars every chance I get, but that I'm focusing my humidor stock on cigars that I know I really like AND still sampling new cigars.
  • Options
    AND that I must try the El Cobre.
  • Options
    recently there have been several threads about experiencing cigars, cigar philosophy, and the different stages of learning in cigars.
    since this thread is about just that i have updated it some and i am now bumping it to the top for those who have not seen it. (it has been a year since being on the front page)
    i hope you newer guys enjoy. please ask questions.