Home Cigar 101
Options

Developing Your Palate

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    Does it take time to distinguish one taste from another? I only get a tobacco taste. That's it nothing more. I have been smoking one or two a month for a few months now.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. It's something you learn over time.
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Does it take time to distinguish one taste from another? I only get a tobacco taste. That's it nothing more. I have been smoking one or two a month for a few months now.
    im a believer in this. I've been smoking for two years now and all last year I got the same thing you did. It wasn't until I started learning how to retrohaler that I really found flavora I didn't notice before. For me I feel that a 1 to 2 puffs a minute is ideal. Of course, every cigar is different
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    what really helped me develop my palate was actively tasting everything that i ate and actively smelling everything i smelled.
    ...not just in cigars.

dont lead a passive flavor/smell life.

If you are eating or drinking something, anything, make sure to take the time to understand what you are tasting. when you walk into a leather shop, take a deep smell of it. understand it.

i mean, how do you expect to recognize mushrooms, or stone fruit, or leather, or coffee, or any other flavor in a cigar if you have no reference point?

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For me I get more medleys then anything...being a chef I try to find each flavor but really it's the all over "meal" I find intriguing. Take for instance the opus x... I find a lot of raisins and dried fruit but still couldn't tell you what fruit besides the raisins
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:

I think the key is to try different brands and blends. I still can not identify different fruits as Lee said or different subtle variations. I think there is a big difference between mild, medium and full cigars. To me, some blenders have a consistent flavor. Try different brands and strengths and you should notice a difference.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    My ability to distinguish exact flavors has not improved much over time. I don't have the ability to execute precise detection of the differences in flavors. I can taste differences. But, I can't necessarily separate them and label the differences. I wish I could but, instead I have a very basic plan to find cigars that are most enjoyable to me so I can re-visit them in the future.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for new folks who've joined this holiday season #5

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    if you are new to the world-of-cigars and haven't seen this thread yet, give it a read.
    the first post by kuzi has some phenomenal information & insights

• Options

• Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    This thread is awesome!
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am relatively new to drinking (~4 years -- I was a teetotaler) and learning the nuances there helped me a metric butt ton w/ how much I appreciate cigars. For me, beer took nearly 6 months to really truly appreciate. I can remember the feeling when I finally tuned a corner and enjoyed a bottle. I can also remember the feeling when I enjoyed a wine flight. Thankfully cigars have not been nearly that long of an effor to get to the point of enjoyment.

Your post hits it right on the head for me.

As a youth, I would rush in, rush thorough my food (because an epic ride was waiting, or a climb, or a fishing trip, etc), and would seemingly strive for speed/efficiency overall.

As I am getting a bit longer in the tooth (I have several kids, all still in school), I am enjoying the quiet time I can create. I have learned to savor my food, to savor my drink, and savor my smoke.

Commenting here to add another voice/+1 to paying attention to nuances and flavors of things.

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Just read the OP.  The Alex Svenson quote describing a typical lifecycle of a new cigar fanatic was one of those where I just kept nodding to myself and saying "exactly."  Great stuff.  Thanks.
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • Options
    Mad_OsheaMad_Oshea Posts: 6
    Think -- Seco and Maduro with Havanna---------- To start Mad-
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
     Yep. Hi Alex. Congrats, and explore the world!
  • Options
    JeepsliddinJeepsliddin Posts: 4
    Lots of things to learn, this posts helps.
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    timtom said:
    I have found that smoking Cigars has changed my palate considerably. Before Cigars I could not begin to tell you what was in different beers or wines or even stand the taste of straight whiskey/bourbon. Now with just a year and some change under my belt I've found that I can taste and appreciate a whole world of things a lot more than I previously could.

But it definitely takes time, @Bigshizza was probably my biggest help in developing my palate. He has hit me with a few cigars that really challenged me. I've probably tried maybe 250 - 300 different sticks total.

Within the first couple months of actively smoking, you will know what you do and don't like. After 6-8 months you will even be able to walk into a shop and tell at a glance/sniff/touch if you will like it. My favorite cigars have a Barnyard/Horse smell to them. Though none of them taste like a horse, thankfully.
  • Options
    Crisius said:
    timtom said:
    I have found that smoking Cigars has changed my palate considerably. Before Cigars I could not begin to tell you what was in different beers or wines or even stand the taste of straight whiskey/bourbon. Now with just a year and some change under my belt I've found that I can taste and appreciate a whole world of things a lot more than I previously could.

But it definitely takes time, @Bigshizza was probably my biggest help in developing my palate. He has hit me with a few cigars that really challenged me. I've probably tried maybe 250 - 300 different sticks total.

Within the first couple months of actively smoking, you will know what you do and don't like. After 6-8 months you will even be able to walk into a shop and tell at a glance/sniff/touch if you will like it. My favorite cigars have a Barnyard/Horse smell to them. Though none of them taste like a horse, thankfully.
    good thoughts @Crisius .

but in case you didn't realize it, the timtom post you're replying to is from Dec 2014.
    so don't expect a response back from him.