Watches

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hm. That put a chill in the air.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ive got a Skagen that is very affordable thats nice and may come close to your needs. I also have a Movado that is no where close to what you are looking for, but looks nice!
    ....so all the chicks tell me.
    Second the Skagen vote. My son got me one for Christmas two years ago. It is all black, with a black titanium band. It's so light you don't even know you're wearing it.
  • Options
    Sounds cool, Yankee. I like light. Do you know the model name?

On the warranty front, Amazon says every Tag they sell has a 2 year warranty, Hays, so maybe they would be a valid online option. I dunno if it's the manufacturer's warranty or not. They seem to be studiously vague on that.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Hays:
    MontBlanc and Omega are both solid companies, just out of the price range you specified (as you said). I haven't had any experience with AuthenticWatches.com, but I have to say that the name alone makes me question the actual authenticity. In addition, most fine watchmakers that I've seen state that they will not honor warranties on watches purchased from online retailers.

Omega makes a very solid watch. I've had a Seamaster Pro for a few years now (gift from family member) with no issues at all. Though I really want an Omega Speedmaster Legend, which would be my favorite Omega watch.
  • Options
    This is a easy thing to fix. Send me the Seamaster, then your family will have an excuse to get you a Speedmaster.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I really like both the Seamaster and the Speedmaster - beautiful watches.

Urbi - while Amazon is definitely a pretty reputable place to buy things, what I was referring to was this statement found on the Rolex website: Rolex Legal. I know we weren't talking about Rolex, but I've seen similar statements from many a watchmaker.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Nixon are nice as well...

They sell for between 200 and 600 or so I believe. Very solid watches, I keep forcing myself not to buy the 51-30. Also, most of them can be had in multiple colors, bands, etc. Actually, the 51-30 has most of what you are looking for... but I think it may be bigger than 43mm?? not sure though.

Also, see the link in the upper right hand corner on that page "watch selector". you can put in most of your criteria and get only the ones you want to see.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    sorry, still not sure how to link.
    If you go here HERE, it will tell you how to setup links.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Rado...The very first one I saw I fell in love with...The Rado Diastar Anatom... I don't believe they even make it anymore. Very nice looking watch.
  • Options
    Hays:
    cholmes8310:
    sorry, still not sure how to link.
    If you go here HERE, it will tell you how to setup links.
    thanks, got it, and updated post.
  • Options
    Hays:
    I really like both the Seamaster and the Speedmaster - beautiful watches.

Urbi - while Amazon is definitely a pretty reputable place to buy things, what I was referring to was this statement found on the Rolex website: Rolex Legal. I know we weren't talking about Rolex, but I've seen similar statements from many a watchmaker.
    Interesting. That doesn't read like they're disallowing warranty claims if you buy online, though. Obviously, if you buy something that isn't a genuine Rolex, they're not going to honor a phony warranty on a phony watch, but that would apply whether you buy it online or in a store. It sounds to me like they're just saying that if you buy outside their authorized retailer system, you may or may not get a genuine Rolex, and they're not responsible if you get hoodwinked.

OTOH, obviously it's not unusual for manufacturers [of anything] to disallow warranties on items not bought through an authorized retailer, even when the item is genuine. It just doesn't sound to me like that's what this particular bit of legalese is talking about.

Either way, you make a good point. I'm not as worried about the warranty issue, just because if I pay this kind of dough for a watch, I expect not to need the warranty (so long as the watch is genuine, of course). But making sure it's genuine . . . that's the rub.

I do trust Amazon, though.
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    Rado...The very first one I saw I fell in love with...The Rado Diastar Anatom... I don't believe they even make it anymore. Very nice looking watch.
    Rados are definitely cool looking, Hawk. But they seem very fond of right angles, while I favor circles.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:

They sell for between 200 and 600 or so I believe. Very solid watches, I keep forcing myself not to buy the 51-30. Also, most of them can be had in multiple colors, bands, etc. Actually, the 51-30 has most of what you are looking for... but I think it may be bigger than 43mm?? not sure though.

Also, see the link in the upper right hand corner on that page "watch selector". you can put in most of your criteria and get only the ones you want to see.
    Seems like I ran across a few of those in my searches, holmes. As I recall, though, they were all bigger than I want. I've got the wrists of a 12-yr-old girl. (No, not in a cardboard box.) I'll check out the site you linked, though. Thanks.

Ummmm . . . I would, that is, except your link links to www.cigar.com, whose products I favor, but don't tell time worth a durn. :)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Holmes is trying to direct us to JR, call the Cigar Police. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Holmes is trying to direct us to JR, call the Cigar Police. Big Smile [:D]
    HMMMMMM... thought I linked correctly. ANd it's not my fault. If you check the link Hays sent, which shows how to link, it's the exact site in that post. I didn't realize you had to change the url in the actual link. So whoever posted THAT is trying to send us elsewhere. Don't be hatin on me!!!
  • Options
    urbino:
    cholmes8310:

Seems like I ran across a few of those in my searches, holmes. As I recall, though, they were all bigger than I want. I've got the wrists of a 12-yr-old girl. (No, not in a cardboard box.) I'll check out the site you linked, though. Thanks.

Ummmm . . . I would, that is, except your link links to www.cigar.com, whose products I favor, but don't tell time worth a durn. :)

Aight, aight, i got the link fixed properly... Sorry, been 8 years since I've done any html coding. Had a slipup... won't happen again. So check out the correct link now.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I'm not as worried about the warranty issue, just because if I pay this kind of dough for a watch, I expect not to need the warranty (so long as the watch is genuine, of course). But making sure it's genuine . . . that's the rub.
    I totally get what you're saying here, and to be honest, I would expect not to need the warranty either - it usually only lasts a couple years anyway. Part of having a fine heirloom watch, however, IS regular service and maintenance, and so I hope that you weren't thinking it'd be a buy-and-forget for the rest of your life... Best part of the warranty is to throw it at em at 23 months and have them service and tune it up for you, and then you don't have to worry about it for another few years.

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    One more company I forgot. Check out naketwatch.com. They specialize in skeleton watches. Beautiful work and good price range. They have a totally customizable watch if you wanna drop 10 G's. Been eyeing a few of their regular models for a while.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    My family has been in the jewelry business for a long time, I dont do it anymore, moved on to other things. I got the Rolex Submariner for my wedding gift from the parents, and that was a watch I've been wanting for over 5 years. So my point is, make sure you really like this watch. Have you checked out the movado vizio line? Very sleek watch! Around the price range you want to be around and I'm sure you can find good deals online. For Movado watches, make sure you get about 30% off retail price. They can easily sell it to you at that discount. Let me know what you think or PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck
  • Options
    Hey, thanks, zeebra!
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Here are links to a few watches..I never have bought from them, since we wholesale em, but just to give you an idea of these watches.. http://www.thewatchery.com/Movado/Watch/0606082 http://www.thewatchery.com/Movado/Watch/0605932 Def go check them out in person first as the pictures dont do them justice. I have wayyy to many watches to even think about buying another one, similar to your humi
  • Options
    I like the first one, especially the carbon fiber dial, since I ride a carbon fiber bike. But at 47mm it's just too dang big.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I like the first one, especially the carbon fiber dial, since I ride a carbon fiber bike. But at 47mm it's just too dang big.
    C'mon Urbs, let's relate to the kiddos by showing some Bling-Bling! Then after you lure them in you can lecture them on Hard work, sense of Decency and all the things that you could have bought for a Nickel "Back Then"
  • Options
    It's not the bling I object to so much, Lassy, as the fact that with a watch that size on my girlish wrists, people would think I was Flava Flav.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    It's not the bling I object to so much, Lassy, as the fact that with a watch that size on my girlish wrists, people would think I was Flava Flav.
    I have the same problem that you do Urbi, and I've also been shopping around for a decent watch. I've been looking at Omega watches, in particular the Omega Constellation Double Eagle. They're fairly small watches with two sizes, a 35mm and a 38mm. Both sizes are available with a COSC-certified chronometre automatic mechanical movement, but it has roman numerals around the bezel, and I know you're trying to stay away from that. There are several different color variations of it, and Omega's chronograph version is only 41mm in diameter and is very attractive, with some fairly low-profile chronograph buttons I might add.

Most of them are a lot more expensive than the money you're willing to spend, but the smallest one can be had for around $1,900 if you don't mind waiting and saving the extra bones.

• Options
    Those are some good looking watches, jay. Thanks! I particularly like the titanium version of the chrono, but, woof!, they are proud of that one, aren't they?!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Hey, x. Yeah, I've looked at the Tag Heuers. Nice watches, but, of the ones I've seen, none of them has all my must-haves. As for price, let's call $1500 my absolute high end. I'd like to stay comfortably below $1000.

Oh, and I should've also mentioned: the fewer buttons, the better. They just end up getting caught on the edges of my pockets and activating some feature that just wastes power.
    If you want to go for around $1000, check out Rado. If I were to drop a g on a watch, it would definately be one of theirs.
  • Options
    Several people have mentioned those, alien. I like round watches, though, and most (all? nearly all?) of theirs are rectangular.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Alot of theirs do have rectangular faces, but several don't. Here is their page, it has all their watches laid out, just click on the name of the watch at the top and you can check each one out.

http://www.rado.com/en/Watches/Pages/index.aspx