Home General Discussion

Why do you smoke cigars?

Well my mother and i had a heated discussion today about how much i am spending on cigars (all my money and I after I take care of all the necessities). When i tried to tell her what i love about cigars, she didnt listen so, i figured i would ask you guys: Why do you smoke cigars? How do you justify the amounts of money we crazy sumbitches spend haha? Thanks guys!

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I initially smoked as a social deal with my brother but now I do it for pure enjoyment of the tobacco. Those crazy natives of the Caribbean knew what they were doing. I guess you could say I smoke cigars for the same reason that all men through history have smoked. The pleasure a good cigar gives is worth the cost. It is my ONLY vice so the cost is not horrible. You can smoke good cigars without spending a fortune if you bargain shop.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Relaxation, enjoyment, passing time.

Although I probably do spend too much!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some years ago I read a piece about enjoying fine wine, that you could taste the environment that the grapes were grown in if you savored the flavor, allowed it to mature on the palate, and I realized that the same thing applied to cigars. I can taste the surroundings that the tobacco was grown in, feel the sun on the fields, the flavors that were in the surrounding fields. It's a contemplative meditation on the wonders of the world we are born into, the best of Gods creation is revealed in the aroma, the flavor, the experience of a good cigar. There's more, but I've got to work in the morning and this is a short night. I guess it's sort of like we say about riding Harleys, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". Hope this helps.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"

Sums it up pretty well.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I smoke cigars as an investment in my future health...If I can train myself now to relax and not get stressed out, then by the time I'm of an age where stress can be very dangerous I'll have an ingrained release.

Ok, I really smoke cigars because I enjoy the fruits of all the labor it takes to go from seed to cigar. I love to sit back and savor the subtle nuances of a well made cigar and I love the state of mind it puts me in. I could watch grass grow while smoking a cigar and never get impatient. There's another thing, cigars teach me patience.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    If you ask me, a good cigar is one that makes you forget you're smoking a cigar.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the friendships, relaxation, and peace they bring me. The hobby is fun and full of wonderful people. Best friends I have made have been because of cigars. As far as money involved. I go for really good deals and think I spend wisely. Friends usually ensure a guy down on his luck still has sticks. Guys here have helped me out and I have helped many people out myself.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I smoke to relax, and I it's a fun hobby for a lot of reasons. There's a lot of interesting tidbits involved, and it occupies my time. There's a lot of good people who smoke, and I meet these people who help me expand my horizons, as lame as that sounds. I just enjoy cigars. One of my mom's friends has tried to gripe to her about my smoking cigars, since I spend so much. My mom's response is that I'm grown and I earn my own money and I can spend it how I see fit. I don't blow money on my cigars. I didn't make a purchase until three weeks ago because bills were more important. I didn't smoke a single cigar over that period of time. I've actually gone longer. If my humi is empty and I can't afford to buy, then I have to miss out on smoking cigars. If you're managing your money correctly, and you have the expendable income, then I don't see the issue in the cost.
  • 24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Smoking cigars is a time for me to sit back and think about alot of things. I enjoy the time (mainly) with my wife. We talk about our Faith, our kids, and our future. It's one of the best relaxing venues I can think of. Things and people tend to get in the way of what's really important in this world and cigars tend to unravel things and give you a one hour sabbatical from all that grinds you down.
    It's never been a crutch, but has always been a pleasure. AND, I love watching my former college volleyball player wife smoking a stick...does me good.
  • "Once it hits your lips, it's so good!!!"

Frank the Tank
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I just like them, and I love sitting back and relaxing.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    "Once it hits your lips, it's so good!!!"

Frank the Tank
    lol, I love that movie.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's a stress reducer. I sit outside with my wife and son. or both and we sit and talk and enjoy the time together outside on our patio. I've also had some great conversations with my sons while smoking a cigar.

I'm retired and I teach at a college full time, so I am not taking money from other necessities. It's my only hobby right now and my wife fully supports me, in fact, she has gotten me a humidor and cotm as gifts.
  • 405bench405bench Posts: 36

Because I love'em.

Also, lets face it, those of us who spend as much or more than we make are going to do that no matter what.   Might as well be cigars.   I sometimes think of the money I've spent the past 25+ yrs on premium smokes and think what if...... but then I think what else gives this much pleasure for so little cost.   My faith, which sustains me is free (monetarily) so that trumps all by far.  But I'll continue to enjoy my cigars, thank you very much. 

• Vince_OVince_O Posts: 281 ✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    Well my mother and i had a heated discussion today about how much i am spending on cigars (all my money and I after I take care of all the necessities). When i tried to tell her what i love about cigars, she didnt listen so, i figured i would ask you guys: Why do you smoke cigars? How do you justify the amounts of money we crazy sumbitches spend haha? Thanks guys!
    You ask why I smoke cigars & I ask you why do you worry about what anyoine one else thinks about what you do ? , when I met my wife over 40 years ago she was exposed to cigars right off the bat,, the cigar was part of me & has always been , sure i have a few pipes & do smoke a nice bowl of frogmorton at times but I come back to the cigars , as a chef & working Hard all my life ( till I retired) I needed a way to wash away the troubles of the day, the dish washer shows up drunk or not at all, one of the prep cooks is having a midol day & I would rather deal with the wife than her ! hahaha, the souse chef thinks it is time for him to take over & when I let him he gets power hungry & fires some of the staff, , so I fire him & now I need to find a lot of TRAINED kitchen help FAST, WELL GOING HOME THAT NIGHT i want A CIGAR , YOU NOTICE i SAID want , NOT need , THE DRIVE HOME RELAXES ME , PUTS ME IN A BETTER MOOD WHEN I GET HOME & I DONT TAKE IT OUT ON THE FAMILY , ahhh yes a cigar has saved a lot of marrages as we get old & look back on life I can see a lot of arguements avoided & a lot of hurt feeling avoided with out cigars I might have strankled the *** Years ago hahahahaha Enjoy, Vince
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Well put Vince.

Relaxation, and of course cause they are delicious. But what I love most about smoking is that I can read a fantastic book, meditate on the lessons from that book, and become a better person.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I really don't have anyone around me, who smokes cigars, I enjoy making the time for myself. The relaxation, the flavors, all the nuances of a fine hand rolled cigar. It is such an interesting hobby with a ton of great people to meet. And Mrs. Slob is not only totally good with my new hobby, but she encourages it as well.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Question 1: Relaxation, enjoyment, flavor, aroma.

Question 2: As far as justifying the expense, I don't buy all the time and I only do when either the deal is too good to pass up, or I genuinely need something. ie, Less than 3 left of something in my normal rotation. I tend to stick to those two rules pretty well, and I stay away from auction sites.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Vince O:
    Alex Williams:
    the cigar was part of me & has always been , sure i have a few pipes & do smoke a nice bowl of frogmorton at times but I come back to the cigars Enjoy, Vince
    Hey Vince, do the frogs mind you doing that?!

As for why I enjoy a fine cigar? I think it is the way I can light up a good stick and the world seems to take on a different flavor. Problems I have been worrying over become something to "contemplate" in a relaxing manner and I surprise myself how many times I come up with solutions to problems while in that relaxed state and smoking a stoogie.

We Canadians all live at least 6 hours away (by dog-sled) from each other so I don't get a chance to smoke with other BOTL very often at all. My son has taken them up now (he used to smoke those friggin flavored tube things) so he and I can sit out in the garage and get into some pretty intense discussions on various topics, so there is the companionship side to it as well.

Sometimes when I am alone and enjoying a stick, I sit back with my eyes closed and pretend to be sitting at the edge of the field in which the components of the cigar I am smoking came from. (the Lot 23 dream, LOL) It is really amazing how much more I can relax and let go when I am enjoying a cigar as compared to when I am just sitting around doing nothing in particular. For me, they have become a way of life.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Russ55:
    Question 1: Relaxation, enjoyment, flavor, aroma.

Question 2: As far as justifying the expense, I don't buy all the time and I only do when either the deal is too good to pass up, or I genuinely need something. ie, Less than 3 left of something in my normal rotation. I tend to stick to those two rules pretty well, and I stay away from auction sites.
    Like $50 boxes of RUINATIONS !!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO !!

OK sorry guy's, I'm still just excited :)
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I have to say that I am on the same page with everyone else. Its about relaxing and forgetting all the crap that we deal with on a day to day basis. I am in a house with my wife and 15 month old daughter so I also enjoy the silence of sitting by myself out in the garage or in the spare room my wife set up for me and enjoying a cigar for a hour or so. As far as justifying the cost, the way I see it is as long as I dont neglect my responsabilities here and pay the bills I dont have to justify how I spend my money and you shouldnt either. As long as you are taking care of what needs to be taken care of you dont have to justify it.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Cause I like them. I do what I want, I'm a grown ass man!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    I am in a house with my wife and 15 month old daughter...
    Hey, me too! On my days off anyway. I smoke because I love the flavor of a well made stick and the diversity between different cigars is amazing. That and I need a little time away from the effin' bit...I mean...wife. I could hang out with my daughter all day she's so cool. I smoke during nap time.
  • bama3715bama3715 Posts: 89
    I smoke beacuse it relaxes me, kinda makes you slow down and appreciate some things that otherwise you take for granted. Its a good legal way to free your mind and just have no worries for an hour. and after reading every bit of work and precise detail that goes into making a good cigar, it makes you appreciate and enjoy it even more, its a little work of art.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I smoke cigars for a lot of the reasons stated.. I enjoy learning about the history and complex way cigars are produced from seed to smoke. I will usually smoke alone since not a lot of people around me smoke cigars, but when I meet up with my old roommates we smoke stogies and catch up. Some of the best memories are when we're smoking cigars and enjoying some good conversation.
  • taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    Like many of the others that have already posted, I too smoke cigars as a way of relaxing. I mostly smoke alone on my patio watching the stars/sun/sky and enjoy some music. Its a great time to have "me" time and to ponder things from when should I re-model the kitchen to why are we here. Its kinda like taking a mini-vacation.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I smoke cigars for the tranquility and peace it brings me. When I smoke a cigar, I generally sit and think by myself. I go out on the back patio and light one up and think about my day/life/family and go through all of them. I think about what I am doing right in my life, and what I can do to fix the things that I feel could use some work. I find it to be a very comtemplative experience. I chose cigars originally because I used to smoke cigarrettes, and my wife and kids didn't like it. Cigars originally for me were a crutch (used to inhale) but now over the years have turned into an avid appreciation for the way a cigar is made, what went into creating it, and how the blender/maker chose this exact cigar for me to smoke and enjoy. I really do love the whole experience, and concept. On another note, I don't know about your mom, but moms in general want the best for their kids. If a mom thinks there is something you can do better she will usually tell you. (grades in college, the stripper you are dating etc. ) Parents want you to be what they never were when they were growing up. Now that I am a father I feel the same way. I would talk to your mom, and explain that this is your outlet/hobby for whatever reason you have for coming into this hobby. If she gets mad, so be it. But she is probably just trying to help in her own way.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Admittedly, I have only smoked a few cigars in my short time interested in them, but for me, the idea of a hobby and activity that is all encompassing, has such a rich history, and offers such a fun experience is what has drawn me to it. I am a big drinker of Scotch whisky for the same reasons. To be able to sit and enjoy a glass, and really focus on it, and be able to discern different flavors and aromas, and appreciate them... that is an awesome experience for me, and when I became aware of the fact that cigars offer something similar, well I just had to give it a shot, and I have yet to be disappointed. In fact, I think I have already spent my NEXT paycheck, before I even have gotten it, on cigars I want to try!
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    I smoke for the smell, the taste and the relaxation. It is one of those hobbies where it takes your mind away from things; an escape comparable to spirits and golf.

As with drinking a fine wine, there is pleasure in the exploration. Wine is to be experienced; each subtlety examined and refelcted upon. For me, golf is about self control and meditation. Me, my club, the ball and nothing else. I normally need to set time aside to have a smoke, so in that time I can relax and enjoy it...maybe not always for the cigar itself, but for the time it allows me unwind.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    well, I dont smoke nearly as much as you crazy bastards, but I look at it like this: 1 cigar = about 8 bucks. if I do like a lot of guys out there, they go to the bar with a couple office mates after work couple days a week, or go out with freinds for drinks or a movie. I really dont get out that much and dont care to, id rather stay home building things I wont finish because something will distract me and move on to the next thing i wont finish lol. so the money spent on cigars is my entertainment.