Home General Discussion

Why do you smoke cigars?

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    plus, what momma don't know won't hurt her. hehehehe
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Relaxation and meditative thought, much like many of the responses already tendered.

Too often in life I've been caught up in the day-to-day flood of worry, stress and frustration and it overwhelms my ability to properly deal with things. I've found that sitting down to smoke a good cigar gives me the time and state of mind I need to pick through everything, cast off that which is unimportant and focus on things that REALLY matter and what I can do to maintain the good and fix the not-so-good.

It's a time when my head just feels like it's on right, and I have time to think straight.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Re: Why do you smoke cigars?

Because after a hard day/week of work its either a few great cigars, a bag of dope, or a handful of xanex, and since I don't do drugs, and I only take scrips prescribed by my doc, which even those I hate taking. Work has been stressing the hell out of me lately and I find a good cigar one helluva relaxation device. And I love good cigars.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I smoke cigars because I enjoy it. It's relaxing. It's a good excuse to get outside and sit on the porch for a couple of hours. I find the combination of those two things gets my brain out of its ruts and into new and more interesting territory.

Also -- if only for the briefest fleeting moment -- it makes all the passing girls think about my ****.
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    urbino:
    I smoke cigars because I enjoy it. It's relaxing. It's a good excuse to get outside and sit on the porch for a couple of hours. I find the combination of those two things gets my brain out of its ruts and into new and more interesting territory.

Also -- if only for the briefest fleeting moment -- it makes all the passing girls think about my ****.
    My buddy and I at work are in tears... thank you for the laugh!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Passing girls: "Look at how long that cigar is. I wonder what he's compensating for?" Big Smile [:D]
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ha!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    urbino:

Feel like I have to say something on this one before I make my post. Debating if I should go with A) careful which "girls" are passing or B)I know those girls...it has nothing to do with the cigar.

Really I'm like everybody else on this. When your mind starts whipping around and you just need to relax and sort it out - that cigar sure helps. Having a great cigar takes a good thing and makes it great. It takes a great thing and makes it outstanding. I also like the sense of community. If you go to the local shop you can start a conversation with anybody in there. Like the forums - safe to say most of us have never met. Everybody still welcomes the new guy, new conversations are always popping up.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"

Sums it up pretty well.
    +1
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke cigars because smoking beer just doesnt taste right.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I smoke cigars because smoking beer just doesnt taste right.
    You bad, bad man..
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    It's the cool thing to do...
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Late night and the kids have gone to bed. I grab a drink and a stick from the humi (which immediately gets the dog excited since she's about to go outside for 2 hrs). Leave the outside light off and head out on the deck and fire up. One to two hours of sitting outside with no noises from traffic, neighbors, or the kids with just enough light provided by the stars and a nearby streetlight. Can't beat that imo and that's not even going into the smell and flavors of the cigar.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.
    that's deep roomie. deep. you copied and pasted that from somewhere didn't you?
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I find myself going from the guy who always went out and partied to now wanting to sit back and relax a little more. To me sitting down and enjoying a cigar is a great way to shut my mind off or do the opposite and do some thinking. While we can all agree we love different cigars for different reasons, the time smoking with friends, family or alone can be just as good as the cigar itself. I personally love the experience of smoking with my dad and sharing that with him. Or like tonight I am alone with my guitar and posting here. So I smoke not only because I like the cigars themselves but also the time it allows me to be alone outside and enjoy "my time" but also share it with people I enjoy.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeps the skeeters away.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a movie with an Indian (feather) smoking tobacco. He looked cool........... I want to look cool.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigars are the way God meant for tobacco to be used. For enjoyment( or relegiously ) there's just something about it from just picking one out, and looking at it , feeling it and smelling it( is there anything that smells better?) to finally sitting down and relaxing with it.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I need something to keep me from killing people
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    There you go!
  • RobIsSweetRobIsSweet Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    cigars are cool, and i'm cool.. only seems natural we'd end up together..
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    RobIsSweet:
    cigars are cool, and i'm cool.. only seems natural we'd end up together..
    Haha best reason ever. Really though, I enjoy the relaxation. Helps me unwind after a stress filled day.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Yeah, I gotta go with this one.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    jliu:
    MVW67:
    haven't posted ina while but I gotta gree with Mike here . . . . This really sums it up. The quiet time lets me just relax unwind and reflect, which is much needed in a life that sometimes lever seems to slow down and let us all enjoy the ride.

Also gotta gree with Jiunn here that was pretty deep man . . . .

And great necro post btw, way to fish me out of lurking status and back into posting guys.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    *Petey*:
    jliu:
    MVW67:
    haven't posted ina while but I gotta gree with Mike here . . . . This really sums it up. The quiet time lets me just relax unwind and reflect, which is much needed in a life that sometimes lever seems to slow down and let us all enjoy the ride.

And great necro post btw, way to fish me out of lurking status and back into posting guys.
    ok joking aside, I totally agree with Mike and Boyd on this one. cigars are one of the few things where I can truly sit and enjoy. enjoy such that I can relax, reflect on the day, pray about stuff, etc. and Boyd, glad to have you posting again. I fluff alot
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jliu:
    *Petey*:
    jliu:
    MVW67:

ok joking aside, I fluff alot

He sure does. Can someone open that window please? Thank you. ;)

Fixed it for ya Jliu
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Damn Fishy you need a hug fella?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    catfishbluezz:
    Damn Fishy you need a hug fella?
    Nah bro, it's an inside joke lol... I'm about the most laid back guy you'll meet. I smoke for the same reasons you all do, no need to explain.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    *Petey*:
    jliu:
    MVW67:

ok joking aside, I totally agree with Mike and Boyd on this one. cigars are one of the few things where I can truly sit and enjoy. enjoy such that I can relax, reflect on the day, pray about stuff, etc. and Boyd, glad to have you posting again. I fluff alot
    Yes Ju,Ju bean, it is a quote but there is truth in it!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...