Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Just lit up a Graycliff 1666...lets see it it lives up to the hype.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I had a Ashton VSG Torpedo while taking the mutts for a walk.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Now that's some second-hand smoke I can believe in. Lucky mutts.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Not smoking anything tonight, but I DID just order a box of Tatuaje Reserva J21's tonight... Ohhh baby.... ;) They'll nicely complement the box of Havana VI's I just got in a few weeks ago... ;)
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    Not smoking anything tonight, but I DID just order a box of Tatuaje Reserva J21's tonight... Ohhh baby.... ;) They'll nicely complement the box of Havana VI's I just got in a few weeks ago... ;)
    Stop randomly popping in and making me all jealous.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nothing tonight, but i hope to get an oliva series O perfecto in tomorrow. its been in the humi for a few months. no time seemed right. i hope tomorrow does.
  • Options
    Ooo, I like those.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    rusirius:
    Stop randomly popping in and making me all jealous.
    LOL... I'm still waiting for a new "tatuajefan" account to show up.... :P
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight was an Oliva Master Blends III double robusto, a darn tasty cigar I must say. The only thing I don't like is the somewhat intense box pressing, I like my cigars to have a circumference, not a perimeter.
  • Options
    Heh. Interestingly put.

I just had a Gurkha Grand Reserve. I had 2 of these, one from Feebs and the other from bbc, and I'm not sure which one this was (the other one is still resting). It's an interesting cigar; the first infused cigar I've had . . . ever, I think. The infused taste is immediately there on the wrapper, and it's there in the aftertaste, but in between, the tobacco flavor pretty well dominates. This one was slightly plugged on one side, so the burn was uneven, but not annoyingly so. All in all, I'd have to say it's a good cigar. Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I got to try two new (to me) cigars today.

The first was a DPG El Rey de los Habanos (robusto) that Maddy help me purchase before christmas. This was a very pleasant cuban seeded smoke. The wrapper was just gorgeous on this and construction and burn were impeccable. Very flavorful for what some consider a milder smoke. I would put this in the medium category, but very enjoyable this afternoon.

The second smoke was a smoke I've heard good things about and I'm sure some of you folks have tried it: San Cristobal (classico). My first time smoking one and I would say it lived up to my expectations. Something about the Levin's mixing it up with DPG to revive an old time name...I had big expectations and this smoke was excellent. Some nice rich earth and spice to begin with, some sweetness in the middle. Another perfect construction and burn. Very oily. I loved it.

On another exciting note, it was near 60 degrees here today and is expected to be close to that tomorrow and my family is (god willing) hoping to welcome my nephew into the world tomorrow, so I will get to meet him and see some family tomorrow afternoon. I'm truly excited and hope to celebrate the occasion properly with a nice cigar...still yet to be determine what it shall be.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good night, bbc. I finished up with a Sol Cubano Sumatra churchill. What a fine smoke. I enjoyed the first one of these I tried, early last fall, I think, but age seems to really do 'em good.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well nothing last night because I worked, then went home to a nice dinner my wife had fixed with shrimp, hush puppies, beans, and green onions... Mmmm... Then passed out! haha But tonight I am going to the Oliva event and I can promise I'll be smoking something good! I'm excited too because (I have to rub this in a little) it is supposed to be around 84 degrees here for the high today!!! It's around 5:00am right now and it's already 67 out... Damn I love it when Spring comes early!!! It is supposed to cool off into the mid 50's for the high over the next few days, but today is going to be beautiful!
  • Options
    bbc020:
    The first was a DPG El Rey de los Habanos (robusto) that Maddy help me purchase before christmas. This was a very pleasant cuban seeded smoke. The wrapper was just gorgeous on this and construction and burn were impeccable. Very flavorful for what some consider a milder smoke. I would put this in the medium category, but very enjoyable this afternoon.
    Did the aroma off of that cigar not remind you of a campfire? The flavors are good for a medium body(IMO) but that aroma is amazing, I just wanted to sniff the burnign end. :)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    PuroFreak:
    Well nothing last night because I worked, then went home to a nice dinner my wife had fixed with shrimp, hush puppies,
    You had shoes for dinner?
  • Options
    When I went back to what I think was the Master Select the burn was much better. The taste got really bitter near the last inch and a half to two inches.

My second cigar of the day was the CX2. Definately interesting. I can't tell if I like it or not. I definately didn't hate it. It was just so different being a double cameroon. I have to more resting. Let's see what they are about in a few months. I can say that I smoked it down to the nub with no tar buildup using a punch. The wrapper did crack near the end but that may be because I took the label off but I inspected it after I took it off and it looked up. Maybe I used my kung-fu grip. Oh, and it didn't really get bitter all the way till the end like most other cigars do.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    The wrapper did crack near the end but that may be because I took the label off but I inspected it after I took it off and it looked up. Maybe I used my kung-fu grip. Oh, and it didn't really get bitter all the way till the end like most other cigars do.
    Two things here. First Cameroon wrappers are notoriously fragile. This is why many manufacturers don't use them, they damage easily.

You saying that cigars get bitter at the end leads me to believe you are smoking too fast. SLo it down a little and second as soon as you catch a tinge of that bitterness, purge the cigar(blow out through the cigar. Not hard enough to send ash flying everywhere but hard enough to push all the smoke out of the cigar.). You'll be surprised how much that helps.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    The wrapper did crack near the end but that may be because I took the label off but I inspected it after I took it off and it looked up. Maybe I used my kung-fu grip. Oh, and it didn't really get bitter all the way till the end like most other cigars do.
    Two things here. First Cameroon wrappers are notoriously fragile. This is why many manufacturers don't use them, they damage easily.

You saying that cigars get bitter at the end leads me to believe you are smoking too fast. SLo it down a little and second as soon as you catch a tinge of that bitterness, purge the cigar(blow out through the cigar. Not hard enough to send ash flying everywhere but hard enough to push all the smoke out of the cigar.). You'll be surprised how much that helps.
    I'll have to try that. For as long as I can remember, all cigars that I've smoked have gotten bitter near the end. I always attributed this to all the burnt ash flowing through the cigar as it was smoked. I generally do not smoke fast. I like to relax and enjoy. Thanks for the tips man!
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

I'll have to try that. For as long as I can remember, all cigars that I've smoked have gotten bitter near the end. I always attributed this to all the burnt ash flowing through the cigar as it was smoked. I generally do not smoke fast. I like to relax and enjoy. Thanks for the tips man!
    If you're not a fast smoker then purging occasionally is the answer. Just anytime you start to taste the slightest bit of bitterness purge. Now on the other hand you don't want to purge to much either, it can completely change the taste of the cigar by not allowing it to properly develop.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had a gurkha grand envoy this morning, I really liked it, though it would have been better had I lit it evenly.. eh I guess that's what you get when you drive. I'll have to light up another one while at home. But it's on the list of goodies to get boxes of. I had both 1887's last night and wasn't impressed with the red label, very mild, but I did like the black label. Strong but enjoyable. Had a lot of flavors too.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

If you're not a fast smoker then purging occasionally is the answer. Just anytime you start to taste the slightest bit of bitterness purge. Now on the other hand you don't want to purge to much either, it can completely change the taste of the cigar by not allowing it to properly develop.
    Well, I just smoked a Rare Breed Connecticut. I wasn't thrilled with it. Not as tasty as the maduro or at least not meeting my tastes. THis one did get bitter near the end and I did purge a couple of times. I think the bitterness from this one may be because it was a little over humidied. I have it in a tuperdor with a crystal jar and a few of the pillows. I didn't put it in my smoking humi like I usually do before I get ready to smoke them. We'll try again soon. I just wanted to try it before to much time passed. I have a few left.

I think tonight is going to be one of the Ashton VSG rounds. Can't wait!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

Well, I just smoked a Rare Breed Connecticut. I wasn't thrilled with it. Not as tasty as the maduro or at least not meeting my tastes. THis one did get bitter near the end and I did purge a couple of times. I think the bitterness from this one may be because it was a little over humidied. I have it in a tuperdor with a crystal jar and a few of the pillows. I didn't put it in my smoking humi like I usually do before I get ready to smoke them. We'll try again soon. I just wanted to try it before to much time passed. I have a few left.

that's a good idea wheelie, I'll have to crack one of those out too. yay, we can compare!!! lol, maddy by purge you mean blowing out right?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, maddy by purge you mean blowing out right?
    Indeed, sir. Unless you have some other definition??
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:

that's a good idea wheelie, I'll have to crack one of those out too. yay, we can compare!!! lol, maddy by purge you mean blowing out right?
    You got an Ashton VSG round too? Cool.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, maddy by purge you mean blowing out right?
    Indeed, sir. Unless you have some other definition??
    I got a couple definitions of purging but I can't post them here.
  • Options
    Just stared a RP '90 second...I love these.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    cheyman:
    staring contest with a cigar? interesting. Who won?
  • Options
    dutyje:
    cheyman:
    The cigar....I couldn't resist...it made me smoke it!
  • Options
    dutyje:
    cheyman:
    The cigar....I couldn't resist...it made me smoke it!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    padilla edicon especial corojo...worst constructed cigar I ever smoked - by a long shot. Canoeing, terrible, terrible draw I couldn't unplug. I tried and tried, cause it seemed like there were some great flavors there - nice pepper and some toasty creaminess a little further in - but I had to give up. Between the power of this one and the fact that I was fighting it so hard, I was damn near bout to pass out.