Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    So I was going to smoke a VSG tonight but a gurkha 3x Ligero was looking at me funny so I pulled that out. The thing smells a little funny but after I lit it up, I fell in love. Man that's a good smoke. Half way through it right now and I really dig it. Strong but man it's good. I must have had a shift in stronger cigars 'cause I like them more and more.. Btw anyone know if this 3x ligero is the same as the G3? Can't seem to find any boxes of the 3x ligero, only bundles...

seems as though it is but has anyone had both? sizes seem different.. Wheelie, Kuzi?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Had my first Nub today - a cameroon - very tasty despite having to let it go out 2 times when work called...I have a conny resting, can't wait to try it now...I was pleasantly surprised by this smoke, what with all the hype they have...would buy again

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Luko:
    padilla edicon especial corojo...worst constructed cigar I ever smoked - by a long shot. Canoeing, terrible, terrible draw I couldn't unplug. I tried and tried, cause it seemed like there were some great flavors there - nice pepper and some toasty creaminess a little further in - but I had to give up. Between the power of this one and the fact that I was fighting it so hard, I was damn near bout to pass out.
    Unfortunately, this cigar in particular seems to be hit or miss, which is really too bad because it does have a really nice flavor.

Tonight was a La Gloria Cubana wavell. I like this cigar, inexpensive and with a pretty nice taste. Medium-full and oh so tasty.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Luko:
    padilla edicon especial corojo...worst constructed cigar I ever smoked - by a long shot. Canoeing, terrible, terrible draw I couldn't unplug. I tried and tried, cause it seemed like there were some great flavors there - nice pepper and some toasty creaminess a little further in - but I had to give up. Between the power of this one and the fact that I was fighting it so hard, I was damn near bout to pass out.
    The Achilles? Dang, that sucks - that's one of my favorites and I've never had a problem one. I've got several sizes on hand including the salomons. It's a great cigar, hope yours was just a fluke.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    The first was a DPG El Rey de los Habanos (robusto) that Maddy help me purchase before christmas. This was a very pleasant cuban seeded smoke. The wrapper was just gorgeous on this and construction and burn were impeccable. Very flavorful for what some consider a milder smoke. I would put this in the medium category, but very enjoyable this afternoon.
    Did the aroma off of that cigar not remind you of a campfire? The flavors are good for a medium body(IMO) but that aroma is amazing, I just wanted to sniff the burnign end. :)
    The aroma was a nice toasty one and it lingered well on the nice day it was. I'm glad I picked another one up while I was down there last weekend.

Today was another fine smoking day with two new ones for me again. First off, I smoked a GOF Don Carlos 2005 on the way to meet my newborn nephew. Just a classic smoke. Not a whole lot of spice, but a classy feel to this cigar. Another 10 on construction and burn.

On the way home tonight, I tried a Liga Privada 9 I picked up today at a shop. Not perfectly up my alley, but a nice oscuro that had some rich deep cocoa flavors with a nice earthiness to it. I won't be breaking my back for one of these, but a good smoke...and yet another one with great construction and burn.

I'm starting to like all of these cigars with near perfect construction.
  • Options
    Oh and Caden Michael was born at 2:31pm...weighing in at 8lbs 6oz and 20.5 in long. Our family is excited to have a healthy baby boy. Just had to share!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Congratulations, bbc! Is this the first time you've been uncled?

I smoked a box-pressed CAO Brazilia. Nice flavor; not spectacular, but nice. It wasn't as strong as comments here had led me to expect. I may go out and have something else, depending on the weather. We've got a storm front moving in.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a Sanch Panza Matador. A good 10-15 minute smoke. A little chocolate, a little spice. I think I might order a few of the full sized sticks.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    love those sancho panzas
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night at the Oliva event I smoked my first Serie O Maduro! WOW! What a smoke! It was smooth and very flavorful! I have a few more of these so I'm excited about that. I wanted to have another smoke while I was there but had to get home and go to bed so I could get up at my usual 3:00am for work today.

I did however run across the last few Opus X cigars they had at the shop! I was shocked when I ran across them. I'm not sure exactly what the size is called, but they are a pretty big cigar. I would say they are a Churchill. There were 6 left in the box there for $20.00 a piece and a friend and I cleaned out their stock. Just couldn't pass up finding some Opus on hand even if it was an Oliva event!
  • Options
    urbino:

second time I've been uncled
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    So I was going to smoke a VSG tonight but a gurkha 3x Ligero was looking at me funny so I pulled that out. The thing smells a little funny but after I lit it up, I fell in love. Man that's a good smoke. Half way through it right now and I really dig it. Strong but man it's good. I must have had a shift in stronger cigars 'cause I like them more and more.. Btw anyone know if this 3x ligero is the same as the G3? Can't seem to find any boxes of the 3x ligero, only bundles...

seems as though it is but has anyone had both? sizes seem different.. Wheelie, Kuzi?
    From what I have read, they are not the same. Similar though. I haven't seen a box of them either just bundles. The G3 comes with a Nicaraguan wrapper and the 3x Ligero comes with a Brazilian Maduro wrapper.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a rare 3 smoke day. As I stated earlier, I had a Gurkha Rare Breed Connecticut. One thing I forgot to mention is that this has one of the most perfect burns I have ever had.

Next was a Oliva G Cameroon. Nice taste but got bitter the last 1 1/2 inches. I tried the purge technique but it didn't work. This cigar was a little mushy after I lit it but did't have that really hot smoke feel. It did feel a little underfilled.

Last and definately not least I had one of the VSG rounds. Now, I am not as good as some of you with defining flavors. What I can tell you is that it was pretty damn smooth. I did like the regular VSG better. The burn was a little off but this may be because the wrapper was cracked a little at the foot. The burn fixed itself though. The ash stayed on for half of the smoke. I took a picture right before it fell off but I have it on my phone. I then took a picture of the nub that I had left. I didn't want to put it down but I kept burning my fingers. I did get bitter at points but the purge technique worked great. My friends were making fun of me because I didn't want to put it down. Hey, when it is a good cigar and you payed a lot of money for it you wouldn't want to put it down either! I think I am taking the day off to recover. I probably shouldn't have smoked anything before the VSG but I couldn't help myself.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:

From what I have read, they are not the same. Similar though. I haven't seen a box of them either just bundles. The G3 comes with a Nicaraguan wrapper and the 3x Ligero comes with a Brazilian Maduro wrapper.
    ahhh... the last of the "real" gurkhas.
  • Options

bbc020:
    urbino:

second time I've been uncled

congrats bbc

• Options
    congrats bbc

today i had a Gurkha Regent. this guy has been in the humi for about a year. smooth and mild and honduran. just what i needed after yesterday.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

congrats bbc

Have the rare friday off, not sure if I will be able to smoke though. Going to watch my daughter play in a basketball tournament. I don't want to brag but she is AWESOME.

• Options
    Thanks for all the congrats...I appreciate it.

Today I'm going to smoke a Padron 1926 maduro no 35. Was a xmas present from my girlfriend's parents...they are keepers I think.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    Oh and Caden Michael was born at 2:31pm...weighing in at 8lbs 6oz and 20.5 in long. Our family is excited to have a healthy baby boy. Just had to share!
    bbc.. congratulations to your family on the arrival of Caden.. pick out a good cigar and enjoy the occasion.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Now back to the business at hand.. It seems like a big day for Gurkhas. I had a Gurkha Blue Steel. This is a ummm..." Internet Exclusive" I picked up a ten pack a few weeks ago and wanted to try one. This thing was great. It has a Costa Rican maduro wrapper and a Honduran, Columbian, and Nicaraguan filler. The taste was sort of leathery, woody, and well tobacco like. Hard to put an exact description to it but well worth the amazing price they are offered at. The burn was slow and near perfect, draw sure to please most, ash tight and white. I have said enough to put this limited production cigar on the " sold out list"
  • Options
    Gurkha seems to be all about the Costa Rican maduro wrapper these days.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I just had a fantastic RP lite...great taste...great burn...great draw...great smoke. Fan-freakin-tastic cigar.
  • Options
    So you're saying you liked it?
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Celebrated the end of a rough work week with a Padilla Habano Churchill. A nice two hour smoke. Needed a few burn corrections but well worth it.
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Nice warm night here in Jersey..had a Playboy maduro robusto...very nice..
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had about half of a Rocky Patel Fusion toro earlier, the damn wrapper kept cracking and finally unraveled itself...I was really looking forward to it after more than a year in the humi...the price I pay for having taken the cello off I suppose...it did taste good though, stronger than I thought it would be. To make things better, I had a Bolivar petit corona, the additional rest I've given these at a lower humidity has really improved the draw, now it is slightly tighter than perfect and the flavor is just superb, Cuba has a winner in this cigar.
  • Options
    Nothing for me tonight. Cold and raining, with a strong wind blowing right into my patio. More of the same tomorrow, it looks like. Dammit.
  • Options
    sspl01sspl01 Posts: 11
    Hi,
        I appreciate the author's work. He has done a great work.

joe
  • Options

urbino:
    Nothing for me tonight. Cold and raining, with a strong wind blowing right into my patio. More of the same tomorrow, it looks like. Dammit.

Nothing for me last night...I was looking forward to the man-cave/cigar/Buffalo Trace thing but about  a mile from home a transfer truck cut off a light pole and I had no power till about 2:30 am this morning...now I'm really amped up for tonight after work

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me last night either. Just went to be early so I could be back here for my last day this week. Got three days off starting tonight so hopefully I'll get a chance to have a few good smokes and a few strong drinks! Mostly just looking forward to relaxing after a LONG week...