Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    good to know, now I need to try that darn cigar..!

I finally broke out my ashton cabinet selection cigar which has been taunting me. I really enjoyed this guy. A mild cigar that built up some strength. A very creamy, almost butter flavor (sort of like the perdomo habano conni but more so), and had some hints of wood and tobacco. Near the end of the cigar I forgot to slow down and got some harshness but once I slowed down it went away. So that's it, another Ashton to add to the box list. Now I just need to find a place that sells the ESG's... =(
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a Indepencia courtesy of Robert, pretty good smoke. Nothing fantabulous, but a very solid, enjoyable smoke.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    After taking a break yesterday, and being out of sticks, I went out to the B&M with a couple of my friends. I picked up an Oliva G, Nub Connecticut, and a Fuente Hemingway. I kicked back and smoked the Hemingway there, which as always, was awesome. One of my buddies, is new to cigars, and his first purchase was a Connecticut that the B&M has blended by Oliva. I tried it, and it was amazing. So, I bought one and smoked that one as well. It was honestly one of the best cigars I've ever had. Really creamy, a little woody, and full of flavor.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Smoked a Padilla Obsidian this evening. Just wanted to see if I should jump on the weekend blitz as I've never had one of these. Was not impressed. Had to relight 3 times. Just didn't seem to have a lotta flavor. I could pick up some earthy hints now and then. Kinda bland and was a little hard to keep lit. I would smoke one if someone gave it to me but don't think I would buy one. JMHO ...(side note---it had been in the humi for about 4 months-go figure-maybe a bad one?)
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Smoked a Padilla Obsidian this evening. Just wanted to see if I should jump on the weekend blitz as I've never had one of these. Was not impressed. Had to relight 3 times. Just didn't seem to have a lotta flavor. I could pick up some earthy hints now and then. Kinda bland and was a little hard to keep lit. I would smoke one if someone gave it to me but don't think I would buy one. JMHO ...(side note---it had been in the humi for about 4 months-go figure-maybe a bad one?)
    I don't know, I had the same issue with every Obsidian I've had. I liked it, but it was a pain in the rear.
  • Options
    Just finished a RP Rosado Toro. Very enjoyable cigar, but I did eat right before I smoked this one. Last time I smoked one on an empty stomach and it put me down, lol.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Tried a Nestor Special Selection to start the day- great cigar. Next up was a Sol Cubano Sumatra - my last one! Later on was a Perdomo Signature and I finished the night w a RP Renaissance.
  • Options
    sdip:
    Tried a Nestor Special Selection to start the day- great cigar. Next up was a Sol Cubano Sumatra - my last one! Later on was a Perdomo Signature and I finished the night w a RP Renaissance.
    How do you like the Sumatra? I want to try more of the Sol Cubanos, so I'm looking for a good one to try. I've had the Cuban Cabinet.
  • Options
    Thought it was excellent, but didnt think it was made anymore
  • Options
    sdip:
    Thought it was excellent, but didnt think it was made anymore
    I haven't really looked at what else they have to offer, so I wasn't too sure. I'll probably just pick a sampler or something.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Friday morning I started with an Upmann Demitasse. After work I started a ITC Split Decision Triple. I did't get to finish that until later. When I got to the cigar event I started with the Micro batch VH-7. It was different but tasty. I forgot my punch so I had to cut it. It got really soft and felt like it was going to fall apart the last inch so I tossed it. I had brought a bunch of other stuff with my but I left it in my truck and we took my cousins car. So, I went inside and got myself a Oliva V Torpedo. THis place wasn't huge but had a lot of stuff. They had Gurkhas that I have never seen in B&Ms. They had the Ancient Warrior, boxes and boxes of Shaggys, Status Naturl and Maduro, all of the dragons, Grand Reserve natural and maduro, etc... They also had some ESGs, VSGs, Heritages, Cabinets, Nubs, MB3s, Heminways, Don Carlos, Anejos, etc... They are having a NUB even in two weeks. This was an CAO event that I went to. There is also a Fuente, La Aurora and others event coming this year. I ended up finishing the ITC on the way home

Last night I had a Oliva MB3. It started nice but I let it go out. I was playing last night so I couldn't smoke in the place. I put it ona table outside and it rained. The table was under the roof so it didn't get wet but I think all the moisture in the air made the cigar SUCK when I went back to smoke it. I'll have to get another 1 or 2 to try again.
  • Options
    Smoked my first RP Nording and boy did I enjoy it. Construction and burn were pretty good, had to even up burn once, but lots and lots of toasty rich smoke. Picked up Toasty tobacco and a little nutty flavor but what really made me enjoy this cigar so much was about an inch in It tasted to me like black walnuts and more particularly the homemade black walnut poundcakes my mom (god rest her soul) used to make when I was a kid, made me smile and really enhanced the experience. Will be picking some of these up...Thanks j0z3r ...
  • Options
    3 good ones and 1 not so good today. The bad one was a Legends Puros Indios -no taste. On the plus side I had a RP Autumn 08 - liked a lot, a La Herencia toro and a Gurkha Royal Brigade.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had myself a Micro Batch S-2 Torpedo while sitting on the tracker cutting the lawn. I expected more from it. It was just ok. Not terrible but ok. The wrapper did start to crack. Not sure why. Maybe because it could have been too moist outside. It was cold today but that doesn't mean the air wasn't moist. It started about an inch into the cigar and kept cracking till the label then stopped. Had to touch up a little to make sure the wrapper would burn.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    hey sdip, yea I'm not a big fan of the puros indios line they all are lacking.

I had the RP Spring 09 today, pretty tasty, it an EcSu so you know how I felt about it.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    hey sdip, yea I'm not a big fan of the puros indios line they all are lacking.

I had the RP Spring 09 today, pretty tasty, it an EcSu so you know how I felt about it.

Whats up Maddy glad to see ya back. I got a RP Spring 09 waiting on me at the office for Tuesday. Can't wait to light it up...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well today I got to hit the golf course with 3 of my best friend down here at the lake and it was so nice! I played like total sh*t!!! haha I played worse than I have in the last 5 years but it was a beautiful day in the mid 70's and sunny. I also got to enjoy a RP Fusion MM Torpedo that was a pretty good smoke. I think it was better than the first one. Had more of a wood and cedar flavor. Seemed to have a lot more flavor over all than the first one. Tomorrow will probably be a DPG Cuban Classic or a RyJ Habana Reserve, not 100% sure which one I'll have yet.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Had myself a Micro Batch S-2 Torpedo while sitting on the tracker cutting the lawn. I expected more from it. It was just ok. Not terrible but ok. The wrapper did start to crack. Not sure why. Maybe because it could have been too moist outside. It was cold today but that doesn't mean the air wasn't moist. It started about an inch into the cigar and kept cracking till the label then stopped. Had to touch up a little to make sure the wrapper would burn.
    The more I hear about these, the happier I am that I didn't get a box.

I had a Gran Habano Siglos 3 courtesy of Betasynn earlier today, and I was pleasantly suprised. The pre-light draw was very earthy, tasted like straight up dirt. It was so strong that I was a little worried, but it was actually a very pleasant cigar. Lots of earthy, leathery, and a little woody flavors, very smooth, and damn satisfying.

Went out a little while ago and had one of my go-tos, an ESV 2nd. Awesome as always, this one had three small water spots on it, which all dissapeared after that part of the cigar was burned. ;)
  • Options
    0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I treated myself pretty good today with a Ashton VSG this afternoon followed up by a Padron 1964 tonight. I'm too knew to understand all the characteristics involved in the smoke but I do know that both of them were very hard to put down. I continued to want more, and took more, even after the "this is the last puff" mindset towards the very end of each.

lovin it.........
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    had a sol cubano connecticut...i enjoyed it first sol cubano i have had. I am excited to try the cuban cabinet i have heard good things
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    You did treat yourself well today... as you should... :)

I had a MOW this morning and tonight I am finishing up a Camacho triple maduro. Tommorow will be a mystery stick...
  • Options
    Just had a Tatuaje Miami Reserva J21. Awesome stick, I really want to get a box of these at some point.
  • Options
    MojoRisinMojoRisin Posts: 6

Let me recap my smokes from this past weekend.

Saturday afternoon i enjoyed a Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ Selectos. An excellent smoke. Saturday evening, I tried a Gran Habano 3 Siglos Torpedo. I must have done something wrong, either cutting or lighting, because it wouldn't burn for more than 2 or 3 minutes (2 or 3 puffs). I gave up about 3/4 of the way through.

Sunday afternoon was much better. I had  a Don Pepin Garcia 1979 (Robusto). Another excellent smoke from Don Pepin Garcia. Sunday night I relaxed with a Bolivar Churchill and a glass of port. I was completely please with this one. I cut it, lit it, and enjoyed a smooth, even-burning cigar. It never went out, never burned uneven. I will definately be getting more of these.

James

• Options
    Just had a Camacho Select, this one was actually very good. That other one I had (the one that tasted like rancid dog vommit) was definately a fluke.
  • Options
    BigginBiggin Posts: 52
    I'm either going to have a 5 Vegas Gold tonight or a Oliva Serie O cameroon.  I haven't decided yet.  Hell, maybe I'll have one now and they other later!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I picked up an ITC 10th anniversary and an CAO America this evening while my roommate picked up a CAO LX2 and a Carlos Torano Cameroon 1916 from the local B&M. I also got my sampler pack of RP in the mail today. Two each of the following: Vintage 1990 & 1992, Edge Corojo, Connecticut, Olde World Reserve Corojo and Maduro. So many choices for tonight!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    rwheelwright:
    The more I hear about these, the happier I am that I didn't get a box.

I had a Gran Habano Siglos 3 courtesy of Betasynn earlier today, and I was pleasantly suprised. The pre-light draw was very earthy, tasted like straight up dirt. It was so strong that I was a little worried, but it was actually a very pleasant cigar. Lots of earthy, leathery, and a little woody flavors, very smooth, and damn satisfying.

Went out a little while ago and had one of my go-tos, an ESV 2nd. Awesome as always, this one had three small water spots on it, which all dissapeared after that part of the cigar was burned. ;)
    It wasn't bad just not fantastic... eh. I had a padron 70th yesterday, nice cigar, liked it more than the 64th.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Went ahead and smoked a 5 Vegas 'A' Apocalypse today, freaking great smoke. Really enjoyed it, put me in a good frame of mind to work. Tonight, if I play my cards right and get all my *** done right quick, I will be smoking a Cohiba Red Dot or a Camacho Triple Maduro.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    today I had the most poorly wrapped and most dried out cigar i have ever had while mowing the lawn, I mean it was bad. It was an arturo fuente I picked up from a local b&m the other day while out, should have inspected it closer, last cigar I buy from that place
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Had a Gurkha in a perfecto shape tonight, I don't know exactly what it is, got it in a pass. I really enjoyed it, got some nougat in the beginning, then some expresso, earth and woody flavors in the middle and it ended up being really smooth throughout. My best guess of what it is, is a Gurkha Centurian.