Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Had a Hoyo de Tradicion last night. Wonderfull smell, but that is where it stopped. Hard draw and not much flavors. Don't know if I will go to this stick again, it was my 2nd one that I wasn't impressed with.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Well I was at a CAO event last night sooo I had an Italia Ciao(freebie) and a CX-2 robusto. Also bought 2 America's(one constitution and one monument), another CX-2 robusto, an MX-2, an Italia positano, A cameroon L'aniversaire toro and a maduro perfecto annerversaire. I sat there with the CAO rep in the humi while he picked up cigars and said try this one and this one, lol.

P.S.All of that cost me $25, good event eh? :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CAO had an event at my local shop but i had to work
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    CAO had an event at my local shop but i had to work
    That sux.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Well, it's Friday night and my best associate just told me she's going to leave my team to accept another job at the bank. So tonight, after the kids are in bed, I'll celebrate my misery by firing up the Graycliff 1666 Robusto that Scrambler was so kind as to include in his Fun & Games package.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Scrambler has been handing out the premium, ultra-fine stogies lately like a dealer handing out first dime-bags.
  • Options
    yeah... Scrambler's generosity in the games has been unbelievable... it almost makes me feel like we need to reset expectations for what constitutes a "good" pass... If we raise the standards to that level, I won't be able to afford the cost of playing any more :)
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Hey now, no need to reset expectations. I certainly haven't been disappointed with any of the packages I've received.

I try to style my packages after the COTMC: 1 premium, 2 recommended, 2 everyday. When I find something I like I tend to buy a bunch and I like to share the things I really enjoy. Besides, although some of the sticks I've sent out list here for $15-25, I don't think I've paid more than $10 for any of them, I have a knack for finding the best deals.
  • Options
    Fair enough. And duty's hardly one to talk.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Scrambler has been handing out the premium, ultra-fine stogies lately like a dealer handing out first dime-bags.
    I can certainly attest to scramblers generosity. He has a taste for the finer cigars out there, and enjoys sharing. ;}
  • Options
    Had a CAO Italia Tubo tonight. Wonderful smoke!!!! Will definately buy again. I like this more than the Brazilia label
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    vankleekkw:
    Had a CAO Italia Tubo tonight. Wonderful smoke!!!! Will definately buy again. I like this more than the Brazilia label
    i too like the italia better than the brazilia.

tonight i had a sancho panza double maduro on the porch while watching the sun set behind the neighborhood. good way to end a hard day of work. I need to relax. ... i have a 16 hour day tomorrow.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Well, tonight was the first night of a much needed vacation. Started out with a nice dinner. Thin strips of top sirloin sauted with sliced garlic, served on a crusty sourdough loaf (soaked with the pan juices), a little mayo, fresh sliced tomatoes, lettuce and melty cheese. Yum. Nice glass of Troeg's Sunshine Pils on the side.

That put me in the mood for something a bit full bodied, so I broke out a Punch Gran Puro (Rancho, 5.5 x 54). This one's been in the humi for a few months but it's the first Punch I've smoked. Gotta say that I was very pleased. I'm glad there's another one in the humi. Paired this with a glass of a very nice Amontillado Sherry.

We've been having what I believe is the nicest summer weather here in Virginia that I can remember. They've been great nights for sitting out in the yard and enjoying a cigar.

I think tomorrow morning is shaping up to be cafe au lait, croissant, and Cusano 18.
  • Options
    Zoom, that sounds like an awesome breakfast. If I planned on being awake for breakfast tomorrow I might have to copy it.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Well, tonight was the first night of a much needed vacation. Started out with a nice dinner. Thin strips of top sirloin sauted with sliced garlic, served on a crusty sourdough loaf (soaked with the pan juices), a little mayo, fresh sliced tomatoes, lettuce and melty cheese. Yum. Nice glass of Troeg's Sunshine Pils on the side.

That put me in the mood for something a bit full bodied, so I broke out a Punch Gran Puro (Rancho, 5.5 x 54). This one's been in the humi for a few months but it's the first Punch I've smoked. Gotta say that I was very pleased. I'm glad there's another one in the humi. Paired this with a glass of a very nice Amontillado Sherry.

We've been having what I believe is the nicest summer weather here in Virginia that I can remember. They've been great nights for sitting out in the yard and enjoying a cigar.

I think tomorrow morning is shaping up to be cafe au lait, croissant, and Cusano 18.
    Sounds like a great dinner and breakfast. We've had an unprecedentedly mild August in Memphis, too, btw. July was hotter than the hinges of hell, but August has been positively autumnal.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Scrambler:
    Zoom, that sounds like an awesome breakfast. If I planned on being awake for breakfast tomorrow I might have to copy it.
    Well, it might be more like brunch... or a late lunch... or early dinner. The alarm clock is in the closet for the next ten days.

As far as the weather goes, if this is global warming, bring it on.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    August has been pleasantly mild here as well urby, the days have scarcely passed the mid-90's mark and the nights have been exceptional in the low 70's with clear skies for my nightly stargazing.

Tonight was a Padilla Obsidian and it was very nice. The first one was very much over humidified, and the draw was like that proverbial "golf ball through a garden hose", this one has had some more time to settle, and while still a bit too moist, the draw was better. Pre-light is pure earth and barnyard and the lit taste is just wonderful with a moderate pepper and some nice nutty, woody nuances. They need more time to really settle, but I'm liking this line so far.

Joe
  • Options
    It's barely gotten out of the 80s here in the past 3 weeks. I can't remember EVER having this mild an August. It's usually the most miserably hot & humid month.

Sounds like my kind of plan, zoom. Alarm clocks are the devil.

I just had an Oliva O perfecto. A man just can't go wrong with these things. Good stuff. Now I'm gonna have a little something to eat and then go back out and have something else.
  • Options
    Just got home from a night on the town. Now I'm sitting on the porch watching Entourage and smoking a La Vieja Habana.
  • Options
    For my birthday, my climbing partner bought me four of the house blends from a local cigar club. He knows nothing about cigars, but the gentleman explained "these two are pretty mild, and they come from Ecuador" (these are very clearly Connecticut Shade wrappers). The other two, he described as "more medium-bodied, and they come from the Dominican" (these look to be a maduro or a very dark natural wrapper). I'll be sharing the Dominicans tonight with a good friend. I'm curious to see how these house blends from the snooty local cigar club stack up.
  • Options
    I'm surprised by how many of you guys have local-rolled cigars available. I had no idea there were that many people local-rolling.

I just had a Sancho Panza Double Maduro. These are very nice little smokes -- especially for the price. Produced lots and lots of nice, flavorful smoke, burned even and steady and cool. Not much to complain about with these. Good call, kuzi.
  • Options
    The Sancho Panza's do produce a ton of smoke!

I smoked the Cusano C10 from the COTMC today. This is a VERY good cigar started spicy as hell and about halfway got very leathery and peaty. 2nd half reminded me seriously of a cuban. Very good stogie.
  • Options
    Holy cow that house blend cigar was amazing! The flavor was very rich, although the body was on the mild side of medium. The burn was so perfect the whole way through I didn't even need to pay any attention to it. The taste was like some of my favorite maduros. It was all long filler, and took over 80 minutes to smoke the entire stick (5.25 x 54). I am going to have to tolerate the cigar snobs and head into that place to get more information about this cigar. This is one of the best cigars I've ever smoked. I would assume that they are reasonably priced, and if that is the case, I will permanently stock them as a great cigar to share with cigar smokers and non-smokers alike. I'll also see if they have any different sizes/shapes available.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Today was an Oliva day for me. Had an "O" robusto early and tonight did a big "V" toro. Have to say I like the "O" better.

Got a RP Olde World Reserve lined up for the am.

• Options
    I had myself a Bauza tonight, I don't recall exactly what they call the size, but it was a lonsdale, 6.5 x 44. It was good, but I think with a bit of rest it would be really good, so I'm going to keep my hands off for a few months and see how the time helps. Looking forward to that day though.
  • Options
    All of those sound good. I had an Oliva O last night. Other than the S, it may be my favorite Oliva, sdip.

I finished up tonight with an RP '92 churchill and a Cusano 18 Double C robusto. Both excellent, and so different that the flavors of the RP didn't step on the Cusano.
  • Options
    Started last night with an aged Felipe Gregorio Power series that I got from Capt and it was awesome. Very flavorful!! Then after dinner, I smoked a Joya de Niicaragu Antano that I picked up at the B&M. I don't know if it was the Japanese Beer or this cigar, but I was messed up at the end of the night.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had the matasa 30th anniv from the cotmc. It tasted great, nice and peppery, but I guess it had construction issues. First time I had a majoring canoeing problem and it seemed plug, just couldn't get a good draw. And I had to keep re-lighting. Like I said, I loved it, just couldn't get more thna halfway through it.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Today was a RP olde world reserve - just a fantastic smoke. Later I had an El Mejor Emerald which was really excellent. Actually put in a couple of bids for the Emerald and the Espresso. I had one when I first got them about four months and the time in the humi really helped. See these getting better and better
  • Options
    Tonight I had a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, again a truly excellent smoke, one of those that made 90 minutes pass in the blink of an eye.