Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sounds yummy, Scram. I had a Camacho 1962 churchill, sent me by the estimable sdip several weeks ago. Very good medium-mild cigar. Makes me glad I sprung for that ccom Friday deal on them a while back.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Had a great cigar day yesterday. Started with a Trinidad ISOM that I got from Capt and finished with a La Riqueza
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Scrambler:
    Duty, I love to sit outside on the porch and smoke when these storms roll through.
    Scrambler, if I had a screened-in porch, I'd agree with you. I have a deck, and trust me, the experience just isn't the same.

urbino:
    Camacho 1962 churchill, sent me by the estimable sdip several weeks ago
    you sure about that? If so, you should have another one laying around there somewhere, with about the same rest on it :)
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Well last night I fired up a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real... It was NOT a good experience... I realize these are considered fairly decent, but I gotta say I had some serious issues with mine... Maybe it was just a bum stick... First off the draw was terrible. It was way too tight... I felt like I was trying to suck down a McD's milkshake or something... I tried to open it up with a hanger a little and that helped some, but still just not great... Secondly, the wrapper started falling off almost right away... No, I didn't cut the cap off, in fact, I had V-cut it and the cap was fine, but it just didn't hold things together... The humidity was fine in the humidor, and the cigar itself had the perfect spring, so it wasn't that either... Even the taste just wasn't anything to write home about... Very bland, no complexity at all... I almost feel like I HAVE to try another just to prove that this was a bum stick, but on the other hand as bad as this experience was I almost have a hard time spending the money!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Scrambler:
    Duty, I love to sit outside on the porch and smoke when these storms roll through.
    Scrambler, if I had a screened-in porch, I'd agree with you. I have a deck, and trust me, the experience just isn't the same.
    I have the same issue. Cigars burn a little funny in the rain as well.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    you sure about that? If so, you should have another one laying around there somewhere, with about the same rest on it :)
    Well, that's whose name I labeled it with, but I may have mislabeled it. Did you send a churchill?
  • Options
    I THINK, and I say think since things alway seem to change once I open up the humi, that I'm gonna whip out a 601 original tonight....
  • Options
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Well, that's whose name I labeled it with, but I may have mislabeled it. Did you send a churchill?
    sure did... I just checked my spreadsheet :) I know what I smoked when.. I know what I gave/sent to whom/when... I know the tracking #'s... I know the date they were acquired, and the date they were added to my humi... I'm a nerd, and this is what I do. My entire life exists in Microsoft Excel.
  • Options
    HA! I am not typically this nerdy but, with cigars I have become like this too. I have a spreadsheet as well. I'm actually in the process of adding the Wrapper, Binder and filler of every cigar I own to my spreadsheet and when that is done I intend on adding the factory it was created in. Then will be who the blender was. I also intend on posting this to my webpage, I'll provide a link upon completion.
  • Options
    SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    rusirius:
    Well last night I fired up a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real... It was NOT a good experience... ... First off the draw was terrible. ... Secondly, the wrapper started falling off almost right away... ... Very bland, no complexity at all... I almost feel like I HAVE to try another just to prove that this was a bum stick, but on the other hand as bad as this experience was I almost have a hard time spending the money!
    I had a similar experience about two months ago. I have one more in my Humi, but I am afraid to touch it.
  • Options
    rusirius:
    I THINK, and I say think since things alway seem to change once I open up the humi, that I'm gonna whip out a 601 original tonight....
    Good choice, can't go wrong with a Pepin cigar.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    SacNick:
    rusirius:
    Well last night I fired up a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real... It was NOT a good experience... ... First off the draw was terrible. ... Secondly, the wrapper started falling off almost right away... ... Very bland, no complexity at all... I almost feel like I HAVE to try another just to prove that this was a bum stick, but on the other hand as bad as this experience was I almost have a hard time spending the money!
    I had a similar experience about two months ago. I have one more in my Humi, but I am afraid to touch it.
    I have a sampler pack of these coming from Altadis - I hope I have better luck!
  • Options
    Trying to out-nerd me, eh? My spreadsheet has the wrapper, country of origin, and the body given in the write-up (Mild, Medium, Full, etc).. It's also got (of course) the named size, length, ring, and expected cost (MSRP) of the stick. It computes the age (in months) and tells me the number of days it has had to rest in the "Smoking Queue" humi. It highlights those that have had sufficient rest (10 days) and are ready to smoke.

I also have a huge tab which lists brands I've had or want to have, as well as the various sizes-of-interest for that particular cigar (along with all the above information about length, ring, cost, origin, wrapper, etc). I mark the ones I've had, and their average overall rating (from my journal tab). There's still more information about what I've smoked, what I've given away, recommendations from Pick Joe's Smoke, future orders or shop purchases, statistics on final bidding prices for auctions of interest, and a couple tabs for Urby's birthday order :)

The lady at the B&M I went to on Monday has a pocket-sized encyclopedia of all the cigars (as of printing, obviously) which would be a great reference, and has all the info you're looking for in your spreadsheet. I wonder if you can get that same information in a database. Hmmm... maddy, I think we could create an electronic reference that we could re-sell to people like you and me. Then we could take the $50 we'd make off that venture and buy a bunch of mediocre cigars :)
  • Options
    Holy mother of god! I'd love to see that sometime.

I've actually seen that encyclopedia online for free, I'll try to find it again.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I am trying not to smoke this week.  I smoked way to much last week.  Every day and sometimes 2 a day.  Smoked on the way to work, at lunch, on the way home from work...  My mouth was like a sewer.  Waiting for Friday.  Not sure what I am going to smoke yet.  
  • Options
    SacNick:
    rusirius:
    This surprises me. I've smoked nearly a whole box of these without a single construction issue.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today I had the Felipe Gregorio Power Robusto from 04/07 that I recieved from the Capt. This cigar was new to me. Never heard of it and didn't know what to expect. What it delivered was a powerhouse of strength and flavor. The burn was a little off, but it always managed to correct itself, with a moment of tunneling, but the payoff in taste was well worth it. There were flavors that came and went on every other puff, It was strange because there were flavors that were sort of hiding, and you would keep trying to identify what it was. There were moments of pepper and then caramel then sort of earthy, with one flavor I just could not name, and have never experienced before. Very frustrating. Can't remember another cigar like this one ever. Very unique in its flavors. I will have to get more to try and figure this one out. Very Very nice cigar. The problem will be letting these age because they are so good. Thanks to the Capt. once again for a great new discovery.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Currently enjoying the hell out of sol cubano cuban cabinet courtesy of the wonderfuly philanthropic Duty.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

This afternoon was aa Nording short torpedo - really enjoy the flavor and lots of smoke. Tonight was a RP signature toro. Excellent smoke - and it seemed to be a little more spicy than the last one from what I remember.

• Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

5 Vegas Limitada 2007

It was good, but, i think the best way i can describe it is '5 vegas miami Lite'.  It felt like it had the same flavor spectrum of the miami, just, without the depth of the miami.  There did seem to be a flavor gradient, started stronger, ended milder and smoother.  To be honest, the final quarter was quite an experience if you're a a smooth connecticut fan.

• Options
    Luko:
    Currently enjoying the hell out of sol cubano cuban cabinet courtesy of the wonderfuly philanthropic Duty.
    Dang, Luko, we probably lit ours up at the same time! The skies cleared and gave me window of opportunity to take a break from building the ark (complete with smoking lounge and walk-in humi, of course) to light up a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Magnum. This was a really good cigar, and it's a great value. Glad I didn't give 'em all away :)
  • Options
    Damnit! Twice in a row... I already had a 601 limitada picked out and ready to cut... Then the wifey says, "Ohh they told you to keep those other cigars right? Wanna share one with me?" She was refering to the Heavenly's I got for her that I had a small battle over them shipping the wrong thing. Anyway, so to appease the goddess of punnani I grabbed a Heavenly Amaretto and off we went.

Well man was I ever pissed... Okay, I'll admit, the flavor wasn't THAT bad... but... I dunno.. Just something about it.... It was EXTREMELY spicy... Which I thought was strange... I wouldn't even call it a black pepper spicy... More along the lines of a white pepper spicy... Really just ate away at the back of your throat you know? The construction sucked... The draw was WAY too loose. It burned unevenly so bad I had to correct it every 10 minutes or so, and last but not least it had to be relit 4 times...

The whole reason I ordered them is cause I figured she'd like some flavored stuff, and she really wanted to try the Mocha (which we didn't get in this shipment anyway), but I had heard some pretty good things about them, at least in terms of flavors... I hope some of the others are better than this was, cause it was frankly pretty poor...

This two day stint of bad smokes needs a remedy... I'm gonna have to fire up a Gurkha Legend or something tommorow night just so I can remember what a decent cigar is like... LOL
  • Options
    Did the missus enjoy hers, sirius?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Luko:
    Dang, Luko, we probably lit ours up at the same time! The skies cleared and gave me window of opportunity to take a break from building the ark (complete with smoking lounge and walk-in humi, of course) to light up a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Magnum. This was a really good cigar, and it's a great value. Glad I didn't give 'em all away :)
    Noah,
    Thanks a million. I really liked it, good peppery flavor and it burned very well. Lately I've been trying to "swallow" the smoke and exhale through the nose to get more of the flavors. For the most part it's been a great way to experience more flavors than I had before. But with this, I ended up inhaling a time or two and it wasn't pretty. But long story short, this is one I'll be picking up more of. Thanks again.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out when the HELL my next cigar is going to be... I'm working 7 days a week for a fellow Manager got fired... So I have a full to the brim Humi and no ambition to smoke for I'm so F'in tired!!!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    p.s. though... I'm HAMMERED off of a 12-er of miller lite... neither here nor there though :)
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'm enjoying an Oliva Special G Maduro tonight, the first maduro Serie G I've had. It's definitely good, but I think I still prefer the regular G.
  • Options
    I like the normal Cameroon wrapper better, too.

I smoked the Cuvee Blanc from my Cusano sampler, tonight. It's good, but I can't say I love it. Not enough flavor.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Did the missus enjoy hers, sirius?
    Well, that was hers... Well... Ours... She never smokes a full cigar, just "shares" some of mine... Unfortunately that doesn't seem to play a factor when it comes to choosing... LOL... But no, she didn't like it either... She took like 3 drags off it and left it for me to finish!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Padilla Limitado Edicion Especial 2006. Tasty, and a nice long smoke for a lazy rainy afternoon.