Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    Just the cap... at least according to a few random things I found searching the web. I don't normally lick the entire cigar, so I couldn't say for certain it was just the cap, but from what I recall my experience was consistent.
    By "consistent," do you mean consistent with the info you found on the web -- i.e., just the cap tasted sweetened -- or consistent throughout the cigar -- i.e., the whole cigar tasted sweetened?
  • Options
    Luko:
    I had an Olivia G the other night that had to be one of my favorite to date. Peppery, but not too much so, burned perfectly. I'd be iinterested to here how the G is compared to others in the Oliva series?
    The G has a lot of fans here, Luko, including me. My favorite Oliva is the Special S. I'd be hard pressed to pick 2nd between the G and the O. They're both excellent.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Just the cap... at least according to a few random things I found searching the web. I don't normally lick the entire cigar, so I couldn't say for certain it was just the cap, but from what I recall my experience was consistent.
    By "consistent," do you mean consistent with the info you found on the web -- i.e., just the cap tasted sweetened -- or consistent throughout the cigar -- i.e., the whole cigar tasted sweetened?
    sorry... shame on my ambiguity... my experience was consistent with the info I'd found on the web. The sweetened taste wore off after the first inch or so. But it did pop up every now and again.
  • Options
    Yes, for shame. Bang your head on the floor until forgiven.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    In a moment of weakness I sacrificed my Gurkha Centurian this afternoon.

It had a wrapper issue after I nipped just the tip off the end. A small piece of the wrapper let go and took a little maintenance work to hold the little flap over until eventually it let go and from there on I had to be careful so the whole wrapper didn't start to separate.

This thing lasted an hour and forty five minutes ! Burned perfectly (despite the wrapper issue) all the way down to the VERY small nub that was left by the time I was willing to let it go.

I am not yet ready to try to mention any different flavors as I am still pretty new to cigars but I did like the changes this cigar went thru as it burned down.

It burned cool until there was only a small nub left, and I found the "body" not too much for me as I feared it may be. I like smaller gauge (44 -48) cigars mostly but found the shape of this cigar enables me to enjoy some bigger cigars without having to feel like I am drawing off a stove pipe. This is one for the humi in the future for sure.
  • Options
    Went to the B&M today, the one I'm considering buying, I had a Punch Gran Puro followed by an H. Uppmann Vintage Cameroon. Two very nice Cigars. Lot's of flavor, and nice conversation. Who knows maybe I'll be running the place soon. We'll see.....
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Tonight I had a Alec Bradley Harvest Selection that was gifted to me. Wasn't expecting much, but it ended up being a very tasty cigar. Going to get a couple of 5 packs at least.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, I've been battling a cold since last Monday, and I finally felt well enough to have a cigar tonight...though in hindsight I can't taste for **** so I probably should have skipped. Anyhoo, it was a Rodriguez fresh rolled torpedo. I just wish my sense of smell was not so off, as it seemed as though I was smoking cardboard. Oh well, maybe tomorrow night.
  • Options
    Last night I had a Hemingway Classic, followed a bit later by a ccom Corojo Label. The former was a Hemingway. The latter was pretty good, too. The first half was very spicy, the second half settled a bit and developed a slight sweetness.

The night before, I had the Chateau Fuente that the kas-man sent me a while back. A good smoke, but I have to say a little underwhelming.

Smoking's been a bit interesting the last couple of nights, as the outflow from Gustav reached Memphis. I couldn't really develop more than 3/4-1 inch of ash because gusts of wind kept blowing it off. In my lap or my book, usually. Much hard swearing was involved.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Had a Cusano 18 Double Ct. tonight... I'm not a huge fan of mild cigars, but this one was fairly enjoyable... Very woody and fairly spicy... I'd never buy a box, but I'll probably keep a couple on hand for every now and then...
  • Options
    Tonight I had the Cusano Xclusivo Diadema from Scrambler. I have this listed as a Connecticut wrapper, but the look, smell, and taste were much richer than that. This was an excellent cigar that burned beautifully, and had a subtle aroma. It developed distinct personalities that were easy for even an inexperienced smoker like me to discern. It started out very smooth and creamy with a great semi-sweet flavor. Toward the middle, the flavor was richer with a touch of spice and the sweetness disappeared. The end built with every puff to a bold and spicy finish, though never with anything more than a mild-to-medium body. Great cigar. It burned fairly quickly (65 minutes) though only hot at the very end as the spice hit a plateau. I wish I had more of these on hand.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    duty, glad you enjoyed the Xclusivo. Next time you win a game off me or something I'll include another.

I just finished a Ramon Allones robusto. It was quite good until it went out while I was helping an old lady rig the broken headlight on her car. It never burned right after relighting. It was given to me, so I have no idea what kind of age it had, but I'd guess it was fairly young and would benefit from some serious age.
  • Options
    This just in Camacho Triple Maduro: cure for the common cold.

I've been pondering this cigar for the past couple days, and tonight I decided to settle down with the 11/18 which is an odd figurado that bulges to a 56 ring in the center and tapers to a 46 at the head and foot. This one takes a little bit to come into its own, about the first 1/2 inch is a bit spicy and leaves a less than desirable bite on the sides of my tongue and throat. After that first part though, it mellows considerably into a rich, and flavorful cigar. Some flavors of note were roasted almond and bread, kind of a light sourdough if I had to pick one bread. A very slow burner, its 6 inches took nearly 2 hours to finish, though this was perhaps due in part to how slow I smoked it as well. And it does have some strength to it, not a knee-buckling strength, but rather the kind you feel in your gut. I think I prefer the robusto and would recommend that size, but I did like this one and will gladly have it again.

Joe
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Tonight was a 3 Siglos robusto. Powerhouse and a great cigar.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a Cusano Xclusivo. Prelight tasted like dirt. Once lit ,didn't taste much better. I have to say, I was exremely dissapointed in this cigar. It burned even but fast. That's one I'll never order again. The other night I had a Cusano Double Connecticut. Didn't like that either but wasn't nearly as bad as the XClusivo. I had a Paired Maduro the night before that was much better. To bad we just got one in the cotm package. Not good enough for me to want to have another one so soon. I'll age this one for 6 months at least if I can.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats too bad about the Xclusivo. I had high hopes for it. Ill still have to try it but my expectations wont be as high as before.
  • Options
    Graycliff Original for me. Good as usual, but this one left a weird aftertaste in my mouth.
  • Options
    I've had nothing but positive experiences thus far with Cusano cigars, I really enjoyed the 18 Double Conn. especially...I have an Xclusivo that I received from Scrambler a while back, I'm looking forward to it despite the negative experience noted above... I'll try and keep an open mind towards it when I finally settle down to smoke it.

Tonight was a Fuente Don Carlos #3, and boy did I enjoy the heck out of that cigar. It was a touch over humidified, so the draw was a bit on the tight side for the first half, but the flavor did not suffer nor did the burn. This one is a repeater for sure.
  • Options
    Yeah, the DC3 is a terrific cigar.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I've had nothing but positive experiences thus far with Cusano cigars, I really enjoyed the 18 Double Conn. especially...I have an Xclusivo that I received from Scrambler a while back, I'm looking forward to it despite the negative experience noted above... I'll try and keep an open mind towards it when I finally settle down to smoke it.

Tonight was a Fuente Don Carlos #3, and boy did I enjoy the heck out of that cigar. It was a touch over humidified, so the draw was a bit on the tight side for the first half, but the flavor did not suffer nor did the burn. This one is a repeater for sure.
    I have said this before. I am very picky. You may very well like this cigar. To me, it was not good at all. It also could have been the one that I received. I wish I could offer more but I was so put off. If I wanted to taste dirt, I could have done it for free. :-) BTW, I really like Don Carlos. I like Hemingway more, but you can never go wrong with a Don Carlos.
  • Options
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Xclusivo I had just the other night. It did burn fast, as you said, but I found several distinct and pleasant changes in character with this cigar. It may just have been a bad stick, or not your kind of flavor profile.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Last night was at the bar and had a Punch Royal Coronation Maduro Tubo... Nice little guy, followed by Topper's Pizza sticks though... and if anyone here knows about "Topper's" pizza then you'll know that my first friday off in 3 months will be riddled with trips to the Toilet
  • Options
    If I can deal with smoking tonight (I have bronchitis) I am going to smoke one of the Hemingway Work of Art that I just got today. If not, then it can wait until tomorrow. My throat is killing me!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I'm sitting on the back porch with my laptop trying to get in a nice smoke before Hannah rolls in tonight and soaks us for the weekend. That's already cancelled our range day for tomorrow which means I don't get to shoot my new Soviet SVT-40 Tokarev rifle for another week... so I'm taking it out on the tree rats infesting my hickory tree with my 1975 Polish Predom-Lucznik pellet pistol. Oh, yeah, the stick is a Graycliff 1666.
  • Options

Rocky Patel Connecticut

It was pretty much in line with what i was expecting, being a dom connecticut.  It was harsh at the first few puffs (although I think that was more due to how I lit it).  Past that though, even burn, light almond taste, only hints of bitterness.  I would say I was pleased with it, stayed tasty all the way to the bandspot..  I have another sitting in the humidor i'll try a little whiles down the road to see if I still feel the same.

• Options
    ive been shying away from Connecticut lately. I find they always seem to leave a harsh taste. Give me a sweet Cameroon any day....On that note im enjoying a nice La Aurora perfecto cameroon....tasty!
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Had the Cuban Label churchill tonight... Man what a terrific smoke considering the price... I was expecting a very full body, but it was much closer to medium in my opinion...
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    It was a CAO Brazilia for me today on the way home. First one that I ever tried but a very nice cigar. Next I think will be the Italia so that I can compare the 2.
  • Options
    Tonight was a La Herencia Cubano lonsdale, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I really like the well rounded flavor that an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper imparts on the cigar, and I found this one to be quite nice and a solid medium bodied smoke. I cannot speak to any distinct flavors as I was somewhat distracted with other tasks, but I certainly enjoyed this one and look forward to seeing how it does with some decent time on it.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    A cusano 18 paired maduro for me. loved this smoke and am adding to my favs list.