Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Tonight was a CAO Italia, nice smoke, still liked the Brazilia better which will be a permanent fixture in the rotation. But Overall Good Cigar, Tonight was a relaxing night so I didn't try to pick up on alot of the tastes just enjoyed a good Cigar and the mild weather that's Slowly creeping in here in East Tennessee. Won't be long until nights get cool, then how will I smoke, Quite distressing but I'll enjoy it for now and figure the rest out later.
  • Options

Commacho 62

The first quarter had some harshness to it, past that...it got better and better, i was pretty happy with it.  Reminded me of a Romeo Juliet 1876, medium..woodsy flavor.

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra churchill. Very nice smoke. Unlit, both taste and smell are very barnyard. Draw was perfect, burn was nearly perfect, flavor was smooth and light. I'd give it an 8.75.

I also stopped by one of the local B&Ms and picked up a couple Don Carlos robustos, a couple H. Uppman Cameroon toros, a Padron 1926 torpedo, and a couple Partagas Black churchills.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had myself a Gran Habano #5 Corojo gran robusto this afternoon... a treat for a job well done at work today, if you will. It was quite nice, a touch below excellent, but given some more rest I think it will be very good. I got a flavor I don't often get, a light cherry flavor was detected somewhere near the middle. Now if you know me, you'd know I like cherries...and the fruit ain't half bad either Hi-Oh!
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Tropical storm Hannah rolled through yesterday so I wasn't sure I'd be able to get one in. Boy, did that turn out to be wrong!

Had a nice RP Fusion MM with breakfast and coffee before the rain started. Mid-afternoon the power went out and there was nothing to do so I figured might as well light up another. It was still raining a bit (we got 8" total) but there was a nice cross-ventilation going so no worries about smoking indoors. This time it was a Camacho 1962. The rain had stopped with about a third of the stick left so I took it outdoors. The storm moved fast but dumped a lot of water on us.

Dinnertime and still no power. Luckily I wisely chose a pilotless gas range that can be lit with a match, so I was able to prepare the steamed corn on the cob and jumbo shrimp with butter, lime, and paprika. Dessert was an Oliva V. Seemed to burn a bit fast, but it was still a bit windy.

Full dark, still no power, hanging outside in the lawn chair. Probably ought to just go to bed early but not tired... so for the first time ever lit up a fourth cigar in a day. This one was a Gran Habano 3 Sigilos Fuma. I guess I should have inspected this box better when it arrived; the caps are cracking and they have some other problems. But I didn't catch that until it was too late to send them back (not ccom, btw). Gave it a try anyway, burned fast, uneven, and harsh. Put it out in the first third. I'll probably throw these out, I can't see them healing no matter how long I keep them.

I may take tonight off.... or maybe not. Those Obsidians are calling to me.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Last night I had the Connecticut-wrapped house blend from the local B&M. This is one of the best Connecticut-wrapped cigars I've ever had, although I prefer their house blend with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. This had a full, consisten, rich flavor, but like the other carried a mild body.

Since we were out at the bar and I was the designated driver, I decided to bring out another stick. I had an RP Vintage 1990 Toro (compliments of Urbino). I really like this cigar, and I like this shape a little better than the torpedo I had before. Thanks, Urby!
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Those Obsidians are calling to me.
    Mine are always calling me. I love that cigar.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I just had a 5 Vegas miami... DAMN fine cigar... I didn't even have a nub left when it was all over with... It was hard to hold on to without burning my fingers but I just couldn't get enough of that thing... That was an awesome smoke considering how cheap these can be had at times... Even now the taste left in my mouth is just making me wish it wasn't over!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    zoom6zoom:
    Yeah, I broke down and bought a full box, plus got another six in another sampler.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    j0z3r:
    zoom6zoom:
    Yeah, I broke down and bought a full box, plus got another six in another sampler.
    Just a full box? lol, I bought three...of course I got a really good price on auction, so it was a no-brainer.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Yesterday was a Nub Cameroon middle of the day and a Nestor Reserve Maduro last night.

This afternoon I enjoyed an Indian Tabac cameroon and for tonight I am trying to decide between a Padilla '48 and a Perdomo - either Sun Grown reserve or Habano Maduro.

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Last night had a Vegas de Fonseca, a very good cigar that can be had for less than $2 a pop. It wasn't powerful or complex, but just a good cigar.

This morning I had a Cabaiguan Imperiales on my way to the airport. This wasn't a cigar that wowed me for the price I paid. It is weird, but both of these cigars had some of the same overall flavors. I don't expect that I'll be buying any more of the Cabaiguans. It is a shame since I really enjoy the Tatuaje and La Riquezas.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Tonight it was the other cusano 18, the double conneticut, which was good, but not nearly as good as the maduro.
  • Options
    Interesting. I haven't had the maduro (yet, but since there was one in the COTM...), but the Double C is probably my favorite mild smoke. It's either that or the R&J Reserva Real.

Glad you enjoyed the RP90, doody.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    I just had a 5 Vegas miami... DAMN fine cigar... I didn't even have a nub left when it was all over with... It was hard to hold on to without burning my fingers but I just couldn't get enough of that thing... That was an awesome smoke considering how cheap these can be had at times... Even now the taste left in my mouth is just making me wish it wasn't over!
    buy a corn cob pipe and stuff that last little bit of it in there. smoke ALL of that thing.
  • Options
    Gurkha Legend - again.

I was bit disappointed with this one last night. It "swelled" near the fire / lit area.

I didn't get as much smoke as I remember.
    It also seemed to be missing some of the spice, that I recall.

Just a little disappointed.

It was still a good smoke though.
  • Options
    I had an RP92 churchill. Solid as ever.
  • Options
    5 Vegas "A" "Triple Nickel" box pressed. Sublime.
  • Options
    Tonight was a 5 Vegas Miami robusto. This one was a considerably better experience than my first go-round with this cigar... though, in all fairness, I was so new to cigars when I had my first one that I didn't know any better than to smoke it hard and fast, so I ended up burning the tobacco and inhaling more than a little bit of smoke. I consider myself redeemed with the Miami tonight :).
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    5 Vegas Classic...I think I pulled a joe, smoked it too fast and hard and ended up not enjoying it much (and a little lightheaded). It was OK, I was just in a hurry and didn't love it.
  • Options
    It was the Graycliff Legend last night, for me. This one was plugged, and even after some work with the paperclip, it was tough to get a good mouthful of smoke out of it.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Tonight I had one of the Nestor Reserve Maduro Torpedos that Urby sent me a while back. I've put this off for a while because I've been so excited about it, and I wanted to find the right night to enjoy it. Urby said this reminded him very much of the Onyx Reserve, and I have to completely agree. The flavor wasn't as subtle as a lot of maduros (I think this leave has some artificial darkening), with lots of dark chocolate and hints of coffee. In the middle, the coffee flavor really came out and reminded me a LOT of the Graycliff 1666. I think Scrambler would absolutely love this smoke. It carried very little body, but the smoke was cool and smooth. I am definitely glad I have more of these on hand, and I will look to share them with a good friend in the near future, either backpacking or when we head up to DC for the US vs. Cuba World Cup Qualifier. Thanks, Urby!
  • Options
    Oliveros Eight Zero Anniversary Royale Toro
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    It was a long day, and two of my favorites.. Bauza by Fuentes Robusto, and Rocky Patel 1992. Both exactly what I expected, very nice cigars.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    5 Vegas Classic...I think I pulled a joe, smoked it too fast and hard and ended up not enjoying it much (and a little lightheaded). It was OK, I was just in a hurry and didn't love it.
    lol, I had that happen over the weekend when I was at a bbq with the family, my father really can smoke cigars quick and after his heckling I just had to keep up, but man did it do me in. Though I also think it was the crappy cigars he buys...
  • Options
    I got home a bit early, ok a lot early, from work today and with little else to do decided to spark up an early afternoon smoke. After a bit of digging, I came across a Greycliff Double Espresso and decided to give it another shot since I didn't love the first one. It was much better, perhaps it just needed a couple months to rest. I just finished up, or was fed up rather, with an El Mejor Emerald torpedo... I don't know about this one, I kinda liked it and kinda didn't, guess I'll have to wait and see what the rest of the 5-pack is like.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Tonight I had one of the Nestor Reserve Maduro Torpedos. I think Scrambler would absolutely love this smoke.
    I'll be sure to try one. I just read it has a maduro wrapper, with a cameroon binder? Sounds good.

I've been suffering from some sinus pain the last few days, so I haven't smoked anything since burning 3 sticks in Tijuana on Saturday. It sucks, because I was away from my collection for so long, I want to be able to sit down with a favorite.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Nothing for me today... Was gonna watch the Godfather with the Misses... but she fell asleep right as Don Corleone got gunned down with the oranges... so I tucked her in and now I'm on the forum... (With beer of course)
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    dutyje:
    Tonight I had one of the Nestor Reserve Maduro Torpedos. I think Scrambler would absolutely love this smoke.
    I'll be sure to try one. I just read it has a maduro wrapper, with a cameroon binder? Sounds good.

I've been suffering from some sinus pain the last few days, so I haven't smoked anything since burning 3 sticks in Tijuana on Saturday. It sucks, because I was away from my collection for so long, I want to be able to sit down with a favorite.
    You probably picked up one of those sinus roaches from them Tijuana smokes. You'll have to have your head fumigated to get rid of it.

Glad you liked it, doody. Both because I sent it to you, and because it's always good to like a cheap cigar.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    I'm in Austin, Tx and picked up a couple of locally rolled cigars from a shop on 6th st. A cameroon maduro that was excellent and a corojo that was pretty good too.