Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    rusirius:
    Smoked an Oliva G tonight... Think it must have been a bum stick or something... Just wasn't good at all... Not at all what I expected... Very "ashy" taste if that makes any sense... The entire time I felt like I was just licking an ash tray... No real distinguished flavor aside from ash... Not at all what I expected from a cameroon!
    That certainly doesn't sound like an Oliva G to me. Maybe you should stop licking ashtrays before you smoke. Unless it's, like, a religious thing. I don't like to interfere in a man's religion.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Smoked the Montecristo Cigare des Artes tonight... This guy was tasty and I was worried about it being too dry, too old, or just overall uncared for... but this guy was fine, and I loved it!
  • Options
    Stoogee:
    Smoked a 5 vegas A tonight with a glass of the macallan 18 year scotch it was quite a tasty mix.
    Macallan is good stuff. I never had the 18-y.o., though. Eighteen is a little too old for me. ;)
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Stoogee:
    Smoked a 5 vegas A tonight with a glass of the macallan 18 year scotch it was quite a tasty mix.
    Macallan is good stuff. I never had the 18-y.o., though. Eighteen is a little too old for me. ;)

But... My girlfriend is 26... I'm confused... who are you lying to? My girlfriend or all the middle school kiddies?
  • Options
    She wears the schoolgirl outfit when we hook up. It's sufficiently convincing.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    She wears the schoolgirl outfit when we hook up. It's sufficiently convincing.
    All I can say to that is "Give me a sign Hit me baby one more time"

Tonight I had a Bolivar lonsdale. This cigar is a good argument for aging and it's positive effects. While it is not bad and has a good flavor profile that I liked, it was not balanced in the flavor department and it had a certain harshness in the form of tongue bite to it. With some time for the oils to distribute evenly and the cigar to mellow, I'm confident this will be pretty good.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had the CAO that came in the cotm club this past time. I didn't like it. I'm not good with describing what I taste but my best guess is that it was too peppery or spicey. What do others think of this cigar?
  • Options
    I had the Hemingway Work of Art on Tuesday night. Good taste for the most part. Different than any other Hemingway I have ever had. For some reason I never really liked the short stories. Now this isn't a short story but it's very similar. I have 9 more than I am going to age. These had just come in so they are probably very young and fresh.
  • Options
    Wow, I had the Montecristo Media Noche last night. That was an amazing smoke. I generally like the more milder smokes, but this one...WOW!! If you have not had one, I HIGHLY recommend this one. It is a very smooth cigar with an outstanding draw. Tonight, I think I am going to try the Cusano 18. I have not had this one before. Any thoughts or input on this one???
  • Options
    I had it from an order last month. It was the Cusano that I liked the most. Now, I need to try the Montecristo!
  • Options
    Which Cusano 18? The Double Connecticut, or the Double Maduro?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    though you are 100% right in calling it the "double maduro" i personally like the sound of "paired maduro" better. it feels more ... cigar-like (?) i think thats the word im looking for.
  • Options
    even stranger is -that is the oly "double maduro" that i like called "paired maduro"
  • Options
    RP SG (Sun Grown)

This has the red wrapper on it.

This was a decent smoke. My B&M had them on sale for $5.

I messed it up, as I didn't have my cutter and used *gulp* pen.

Oh well, it was decent. A little more peppery than I like. The RPs don't have much flavor for me, other than being consistent.
    Smoke was OK until I got halfway through it, then the smoke seemed to disappear almost.

I destroyed the head end so bad, I ended up putting it out half-way.
    Oh well, next time.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    though you are 100% right in calling it the "double maduro" i personally like the sound of "paired maduro" better. it feels more ... cigar-like (?) i think thats the word im looking for.
    Is that what they call it? They should pick a naming convention and stick with it: Paired Connecticut and Paired Maduro, or Double Connecticut and Double Maduro, but not one of each.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Don Pepin Garcia JJ Maduro for after work, with an Oliveros LTD (with an espresso) for a late night "snack".
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight I had my first, I don't want to say bad, um...unsatisfactory result with a Fuente Hemingway. I decided to grab one of the Masterpieces that I have and settle down for a nice, long smoke. Boring story short, the burn was impossible and led me to just make a fresh cut and relight (I really, really hate to do that) but the cigar just did not want to perform... I don't know what was up with this one, but after fighting with it for an hour, I finally threw in the towel... I find it particularly hard to enjoy a battle of attrition with a cigar, as I find the stogy usually wins.

Oh well, you certainly can't win them all. The next one will be better I'm sure.
  • Options
    I HATE when that happens. Takes all the pleasure out of smoking and makes it stressful instead of stress-relieving.

I haven't had just a ton of Masterpieces, Joez, but I've never had that kind of trouble with one. I would wager the others you have will be fine. (And I mean "fine" in the sense that one might say it of Jessica Simpson: fiiiiiine.)
  • Options
    I just finished my first Gurkha Legend, a torpedo. It's a good cigar. Nice, fairly complex flavor. Good draw and burn. Lots of smoke. I can't say it's my cuppa, but I won't mind having a few in my humi.
  • Options
    i still think the centurian is beter than the legend
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok, so on the car ride home last night I lit up an Arturo Fuente Grand Reserve Maduro. It was the robusto size (but they dont call it a Robusto 4 3/4 x 50). So I did try to review it sitting in my car before leaving the work parking lot. Wrapper: Dark, not the black like many maduro's, but a nice dark brown, not very oily more toothy. Veins in the wrapper were few and far between and thin when you could make them out. One problem with the wrapper was a small 'chip' in one of the turns due to poor handling. Smell: Real Tobacco, Ive heard Barnyard be used and that may have applied, but a strong tobacco smell --Im new at this so that is all I got of the whiff-- Lick the cap: I have never done this before, but see a few people do it here so here goes. --I got no flavor, but could feel the niccotine immediately hit my tongue. I cut this with a double guilloting just enough to get a nice ring off the bottom (I dont know maybe 1/32 of an ince) Here is where the fun begins -- I light it with a single flame torch. It lights up nicely, I blow on the end to ensure a nice even light. I blow the 1st puff out the end of the stick --This is another first for me as I usually puff puff draw at this point -- The light is fired nicely and I really look at the smoke. It is that nice cobalt blue smoke with lots of smoke. So I take a puff puff draw and really try to get the flavor of the cigar swirling around my mouth. I know that the flavor may not build for a bit. So really Im not geting much in the flavor dept and ===BINGO cell phone rings and its work === So I have to talk for a few minutes and I have to re light by the time Im done with the call. Im doing most of the talking. So I relight and think I do a fairly good job of it. --Does this ruing a stick? after just 1-2 puffs?? Anyway I finish my call and get this thing re torched. Again trying to get the flavor as I am smoking this. I couldnt get the smoke up and out my nose but will work on that aspect of tasting. Anyway as I am driving I get som pepper spice some other undetermined flavor and then all I can really describe the flavor as is a pine nut. Hmmm I was doubting myself at that point becasue I have never heard of a pine nut flavor in a cigar, but I kept coming back to that flavor along with some other flavor I couldnt quite put my finger on. The ash has run about 1 1/4 inches without any problem, but Im in the car so I ash it as I dont want it to drop in my lap. So the cigar has a burn issue after ashing and needs a corrective light and really after the half way point the flavors for me are out and all I get is tobacco (in a good way). With about 1 3/4 - 1 1/2 inches left the smoke turns pretty hot and my palate is burnt out at this piont. My tobacco guy said that this was medium to full body and my opinion is that this is full all the way. Not sure what other tasters have to say about this or if this is just that I havent smoked enough to really determine a full body cigar. The niccotine has a pretty good punch and I feel it when I get out of the car. So I am at my dinner table last night eating - Roasted Brussel Sprouts and I eat the first one -- I think I had a flashback as that was the flavor that I really couldnt put my finger on. A nice roasted bitter flavor. Not necessarily brussel sprouts, but could be any roasted dark vegetebal. I thought I was crazy, again, but remembered reading a kuzi Post saying he tasted spinach in a cigar. I wont try an hit this with a number scale rating - but overall I would smoke this cigar again. I think I wouldnt smoke it right from the shop but would let it rest for a while. I have a 2nd that is in my humi that I will let rest for a couple months and see how it smokes compared to this one.
  • Options
    I'm smoking my first RP 1990 tonight. I had a little on the way to work and will go out on lunch and do a little more smokey smokey. Can't comment on it yet though
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I'm smoking my first RP 1990 tonight. I had a little on the way to work and will go out on lunch and do a little more smokey smokey. Can't comment on it yet though
    Am I reading this right? You started smoking an RP90 this morning, put it off, plan to light it up again at lunch, put it off, and then finish it off tonight?
  • Options
    Yup! I have it in a portable one cigar humidified tube. I have another 10 coming.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Yup! I have it in a portable one cigar humidified tube. I have another 10 coming.
    Don't you find it to get a bad taste? I've put off a cigar for like an hour before because company came over, and it was still okay, but I would think after a couple hours or so it would take on a terrible taste?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    rwheelwright:
    Don't you find it to get a bad taste? I've put off a cigar for like an hour before because company came over, and it was still okay, but I would think after a couple hours or so it would take on a terrible taste?
    Yeah, I've never really enjoyed re-it cigars. but I do know a few guys who dont care one way or the other.
  • Options
    you can make a relit cigar better by blowing through it before letting it go out the first time. im not saying hte flavor will be the same, just not as bad
  • Options
    That's part of what I do. I blow through it before it goes out, then when re-lighting it I get as much ash off as possible and blow through it again. Then I light it while puffing then blowing to get as much ash out as possible. Seems to work for me. Sometimes I just want to smoke but don't have an hour or more to dedicate to it. If you think I am bad, a friend of mine smokes all day. He smokes on the way to work, puts it out, then smokes on break, puts it out, then on the way home, puts it out and then after dinner and before bed. He smokes 2 - 3 a day sometimes everyday!
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Maybe cut it near the end and blow it out.. then when you're ready to smoke blow it out again and re-light it? I've always thought there has to be a way to get a cigar re-lit without ruining it. Cutting it near the end is like your own little mini "fire line" (speaking of fire lines, we haven't heard from Smoke in while).

Did you try that yet? Good... now try to do it again, but this time don't drop the burning end in your hand after you cut it off ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i still think the centurian is beter than the legend
    I absolutely agree.