Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Correction: the Gurkha I smoked last night was a Regent, not a Legend.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Oliveros XL/55 Maduro. Not blowing my socks off, but a decent smoke. The one thing really outstanding is how smooth the exterior of the ash is.
  • Options
    Carlos Torano Cameroon 1916 with Macallan Fine Oak Single Malt
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    For me it was a Perdomo Reserve Sungrown - excellent cigar - fantastic construction and burn with lots of smoke, slightly spicy.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    In the middle of smoking a Gurkha Legend Perfecto... Completely different from the Legend churchill I had just a couple weeks ago... Quite a testament to just how much shape can affect a cigar. One thing that's surprising is that I've had to do ZERO corrective burns so far... Obviously well made... Taste wise I gotta say I found the churchill less complex, but more to my tastes...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    An R and J, I think a viejo. Is that a box-pressed?

I enjoyed it, it burned great and was very consistent. I would say it wasn't very complex, but it was just what I was looking for.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Is that a box-pressed? .
    Is it square?
  • Options
    Yeah, I should clarify. The ciga I smoke was box-pressed, what I meant was, is the viejo? I wasn't sure if that was the R and J I had.
  • Options
    Luko:
    An R and J, I think a viejo. Is that a box-pressed?

I enjoyed it, it burned great and was very consistent. I would say it wasn't very complex, but it was just what I was looking for.
    Yep. The Viejo is a box-pressed maduro. And your description -- consistent, not very complex -- sure sounds like it.
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna go smoke this ****-sized Cuban Parejo that j0z3r sent me a while back.
  • Options
    This is a damn fine smoke, j0z3r. Puts me in the mind of very strong sweet tea. How come I've never heard of these? If you've got a source for them, I'd appreciate a PM.

Interestingly, while I was outside smoking it, one of my neighbors walked up and handed me 3 Cuban Sancho Panza coronas. He said a friend of his gave them to him, but he doesn't smoke. From what I can tell by googling a bit, they're legit. Very cool.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    This is a damn fine smoke, j0z3r. Puts me in the mind of very strong sweet tea. How come I've never heard of these? If you've got a source for them, I'd appreciate a PM.
    Unfortunately, that particular cigar has been discontinued....that would be the Rosado wrapped variety. Fortunately I was able to get my grubby hands on 2 boxes before they were gone, and on auction no less, for cheap. If you would like some more, I'm sure something can be arranged with relative ease. Do let me know.

Today I took a rare vacation day to head on down to San Diego to visit a friend I haven't seen for about 3 years. Well, in the process of driving around, I happened to spy a tobacco shop and had to poke my head in and look at the cigars...ended up walking out with a decent spread, an RP Vintage 1992 churchill tubo, 2 of the RP 2008 Summer Blend toros, an Ashton Prime Minister, 2 El Rey Del Mundo churchills in paper wrapping and two of the cigar I smoked out on the beach, the Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary corona. I thought this was a really nice cigar, and actually so did my friend's roommate who has never had a cigar before, she wanted to try it out and I was much obliged to let her with a few complimentary pointers. I wish I had grabbed a few more of the ITC's now. A nice way to cap off a fun day.

Oh as a side note, I watched the new movie Burn After Reading while down there, and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a dark comedy, I really enjoyed it, and I'm not much of a moviegoer.
  • Options
    LCarLCar Posts: 57
    Ahh, while we are on the subject of the Gurkhas...I think I am going to fire up the Beast tonight...if it's not absolutely pouring outside. It has been a long week. Haha.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Had a LFD DL Chisel Gordo last night and it would have been a great smoke if it didn't have such bad burn issues. I had to re-light 3 times and touch up at least 5 times. Maybe it was just a bum smoke.
  • Options
    my first gurkha titan...man, I've had jobs that have lasted less time than this thing. Fortunately, it was great. drank some sam adams oktoberfest (which I learned is actually held in sept) and smoked the hell out of this thing. Burned great, great draw, great flavors, although they didn't seem to me to change that much throughout.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, ptftw.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Had a CAO America Landmark tonight... I'm thinking it probably lasted longer than Luko's titan.. LOL... Was a great smoke, but it had pockets of barnyard that popped up... Not a little barnyard, a LOT of barnyard... Goats, cows, pigs, horses, mules... You name it, it was in there... To the point of being very distracting and almost ruining an otherwise terrific smoke... The first time it happened it was a little unexpected and caught me by surprise... Still overall it was a decent smoke...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight was a Rocky Patel 2008 Summer toro, a very enjoyable cigar if I do say so myself. One of the things I really like about RP cigars is how well they are constructed, I left this one on its own for better than 5 minutes while I attended to something, and when I came back it took one puff to get it going, not to mention the burn is always razor sharp. Right next to flavor, construction is my biggest nitpick with cigars, and thus far RP's have been the most solid on the construction front. I wish I had bought more than 2 now.
  • Options
    rusirius:
    Had a CAO America Landmark tonight... I'm thinking it probably lasted longer than Luko's titan.. LOL... Was a great smoke, but it had pockets of barnyard that popped up... Not a little barnyard, a LOT of barnyard... Goats, cows, pigs, horses, mules... You name it, it was in there... To the point of being very distracting and almost ruining an otherwise terrific smoke... The first time it happened it was a little unexpected and caught me by surprise... Still overall it was a decent smoke...
    Maybe they should rename it the Old MacDonald.

Relevant to nothing: I decided to put those Cuban Sancho Panzas into the freezer for a day, since I don't know their provenance. Better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've been sick, so it's been a full week since my last smoke. I wanted to light up something a bit more exotic, but I'm out seeing a friends band play, so I can't really focus on the smoke. I went with a reliable standby, the 5 Vegas Classic Torpedo paired with an Abita Amber or six.
  • Options
    Yesterday had a Tatuaje Reserve SW on my way down to the football game. It felt pretty strong while smoking it, and I stumbled a little as I got out of the car. People must have thought I was tailgating early. It was a fantastic smoke that had a lot of pepper and nut flavors. I would definitely recommend if you can pick up some.
  • Options
    Last night I had a 5 Vegas Limitada 2006 and one of the Trinidads that doody recommended I get on my birthday order. Both were good smokes. The Vegas was solid, if rather unremarkable; it had a nice combination of a bit of spice and a bit of sweetness.

I can't really give the Trinidad a fair description, given that I'd just eaten and still had food tastes in my mouth. I can say I enjoyed it, and that it had pleasant overtones of barnyard (but not Old MacDonald). Good call, doody.
  • Options
    Tonight I'll be trying my first Gurkha Titan, I can't wait.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well last night I had my first Perdoma Habano and WOW! Great flavor and a very full bodied smoke. I've heard a lot of good things about this cigar and was not dissapointed at all!
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Glad you liked the Trinidad, urby... I find it's best to have on a full stomach, because the first one I had made me feel very weak. That may have been the first cigar I'd ever had with an EcSu wrapper. I never knew that until I recently started actually learning about cigars. Before that, I just guessed how much I'd like the cigar by how dark the wrapper was, and what it smelled like.

This weekend, I went camping (ok, cabining) with the family. Last night by the campfire I enjoyed a Matasa 30th Anniversary toro. I had low expectation, because I seem to remember this carrying very uninspired reviews on here. I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor from start to finish. It was farily full-bodied (for me) and put me to bed early. I got plenty of rich flavor and the aftertaste was wonderful, even the next morning. I'd definitely smoke this again.
  • Options
    5 Vegas Limitada 2008 paired with a Bushmills Single Malt Irish.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    tonight i had a gurkha legend compliments of zoom this is my first gurkha ever i enjoyed it very much it was everything i thought it would be and more i cant wait to try more gurkha cigars!
  • Options
    I smoked a Hemmingway last night.............wow, i smoked it until i couldn't hold onto it any longer. It was a damn good cigar.
  • Options
    Tonight had a La Riqeza #2 paired with a Rosso red wine (Coppola blend)
  • Options
    Had a Cuba Libre earlier, dont really like em, but its all i got for now.