Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Wow... The Legend Perfecto gave me two things tonight: a learning experience and a huge disappointment. The initial burn was very promising and full of smoke.. Then about a half inch in the damn thing plugged on me. That's the learning experience. For whatever reason, most of my smokes are completely without burn issues. I had actually wondered if plugging and tunneling were more a myth than anything else. Interestingly, I could blow smoke out, but I couldn't take any in. Fortunately, thanks to the experience of others on this board, I knew the solution, and was able to dig up a paper clip, which fixed the plug. I also got some unreal tunneling, probably as a result of the plug. The burn was never really consistent after this, and the flavor didn't develop at all.

What's most amazing to me is that I've already had, and thoroughly enjoyed, the Royal Brigade. I understand this to be the same blend in a maduro wrapper -- sounds pretty promising, eh? I enjoy a subtle earthy flavor to a cigar, but this was more like smoking plain dirt. The middle of the cigar had some fleeting hints of spice, just like the Royal Brigade, but was overall pretty bland. I put it down after 70 minutes, with a good 15-20 minutes of time left on it, but I just didn't like the flavor. This was a rather expensive waste of time. A shame, since I was so excited about trying this one. At least the aroma was nice. I'd love to sit next to somebody else smoking one of these, but I'm not too keen on having another myself.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had an early evening 5 Vegas Classic toro, well half of one anyway... the draw was too tight and eventually it became too much of a chore smoking it. For my nighttime cigar I settled down with a Bauza lonsdale. This was my second Bauza and it was an improvement over the first as the moisture content of the cigar has had about 6-8 weeks to stabilize and the draw was not super tight this time... flavor was good, though I had had my fill with about 2.5 inches left.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Seems like everybody's having an off night. Maybe I should take a pass.
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    CAO Brazilia

As a newbie I don't have much to compare it too but it was tasty and easy to smoke.
    I had it with a glass or two of Cabernet Sauvignon.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Not all of us... I'm currently enjoying an El Major Espresso torpedo (box pressed). My first, won a fiver of these at auction. Nice draw, rich creamy smoke. First ash didn't drop until the 45 minute mark. This thing looks like a bar of expensive dark chocolate. Also enjoying a large mug of espresso liberally laced with Bushmill's single malt.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    i had that cuba libre today it was my first full bodied smoke i like it a lot however to me it seemed more mild and less bitter than my other smokes so idk now im thinking hey maybe full body and flavor is just for me. the smoke on this cigar was incredible so creamy and white and yummy. hpwever i feel as if there are so many better cigars out there. yes i am trying the ones on the cheaper side but idk i just feel like im expecting too much out of some of these. although i do love smoking every little bit of every cigar. i havnt come accross one i really hated
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I had the Nub connecticut last night. Paired with nothing, but when I was done went into the bar and had a Sam octoberfest. Ive heard that these typically burn quickly (less than an hour smoke even thought they should smoke the same time as a normal cigar) So I smoked it for about 45 minutes and it had plenty to go when I snuffed it to go into the bar. I would say it had 1/4 in. above the band. so could have smoked it another 15 min to half hour, but I wanted to get into the bar and start pumping beer into my system.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Had a 601 Oscuro that I got from my MAW. Excellent smoke, will definitely purchase some in the future.
  • Options

madurofan:
    Hey shehan where from in VA?

alexandria

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night I enjoyed a H. Upmann Reserve Maduro Belicoso. Really a good smoke for the evening. It was one of the more mild Maduros I've smoked but was great to cap off the night before bed. I had it with a nice cup of freshly ground french roast. The burn was nice and even, the draw was slightly tight about halfway through but not bad. It had some great flavors that I couldn't quite put my finger on... I did pick up some hints of cinnamon and coaco though. Overall a good smoke and a nice way to relax in the cool night air on the balcony. I have 5 more of these so I'll have to put some age on them and see how they are.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Today I enjoyed a Natural Root Deluxe Tubo around lunchtime, and this evening was a Man of War torpedo.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Smoking an Illusione cg:4 that I got from Dep in the MAW. FANTASTIC
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Started the day with the Cusano C10 from the COTM club. Excellent smoke, much more spicy and full flavored than other Cusano blends I have smoked. Ordered a 5 pack in the middle of my smoke.

A couple of smokes tonight - Torano 1916 Cameroon Robusto. Excellent construction and lots of smoke and flavor, but it lost steam in the last quarter.

Finished the night with a RP I-Press. Really, really good smoke.

• Options
    Tonight I had a Padilla Habano torpedo. Nice flavor, medium body... smooth. A bit tight on the draw, and I cracked the wrapper trying to get the band off... what's wrong with me these past couple nights? The cracked wrapper fortunately didn't taint the experience, but my rhythm seems a bit off... hopefully tomorrow night I'll finish the weekend back on my game.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'm at a local place called Don Leoncio. They pretty much only sell their family blends. I'm enjoying their cameroon tonight.
  • Options
    I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra churchill last night. This one had all kinds of burn issues, alternating between canoeing and going out; not the best experience.
  • Options
    I'm starting a new book tonight, so what would be more appropriate than firing up a Hemingway to go with it? I bought a Hemingway Signature a couple months ago, and this seems like the perfect time. I've never tried a Hemingway before. If I enjoy it (which I expect), I've still got the gigantic one Urby sent in the Boffo package.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Today was a Gurkha G5 Avenger. Very strong smoke - too strong for me.

Tonight was a Perdomo ESV 91 - as always, excellent.

• Options
    I think you'll enjoy the Signature, doody.

I just finished a Victor Sinclair 10th Aniversario churchill. Despite reports, I found this a darn good smoke. Pre-light draw was earthy with some cocoa. Once lit it was very, very earthy with some spice, then developed a bit of sweetness during the last third. I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a Padron 1964 box pressed. I was all set to smoke the Camacho triple maduro but my cousin have me the padron.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had a RP 1992 vintage tonight and it was a winner...burned like a champ, tasted great throughout, seemed to evolve. loved it, and want to get more of this. lots more.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that the Hemingway took only an hour to smoke. At 6x47, I would have thought I'd get another 15-20 minutes. Of course, it does get some false length from that narrow tip. It was very good, but the taste felt a bit immature. While I've not smoked an aged cigar, I've tasted in some cigars the immaturity that the Captain has alluded to in some of his posts. It wasn't, to me, a tremendous value at over $9, but it also wasn't anything at which I'd turn up my nose.

This cigar had two outstanding features of note. The nicest part, I have to say, is that the construction was so unbelivably flawless, I simply lit the cigar and never had to pay any attention at all to how it was burning. This is quite a relief after the battle I've had with cigars over the past couple nights. It's also a relief to know that my humi (which has been perfectly between 65% and 67% for months) was not the source of my troubles the past couple nights. The second interesting feature was that the flavor was very dynamic, and was completely different through the nose. I just wish I'd decided to get the Classic instead of the Signature. I'll pick up a Classic in my next order and let it sit for a while to see how that changes things.
  • Options
    Having just re-read that, I have to say it kinda sounds like I didn't enjoy it. To the contrary, this was a wonderful cigar, but I'm being incredibly critical because I came in with huge expectations. I paid much closer attention to this cigar than most, because I know it is a special smoke.
  • Options
    Interesting, doody. I'm pretty sure Hemingways are aged at the factory, so I'm not sure what would cause the immaturity you picked up. Puzzling.

BTW, I prefer the Classic, myself. The Signature always leaves me feeling like a victim of cigarus interruptus; you know, that "didn't quite finish" feeling.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Had a RP 1992 vintage tonight and it was a winner...burned like a champ, tasted great throughout, seemed to evolve. loved it, and want to get more of this. lots more.
    That's a pretty common response to that cigar, Luko. :) Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Luko:
    That's a pretty common response to that cigar, Luko. :) Glad you enjoyed it.
    Yea, the RP 92 is without a doubt one of my favorite smokes! I've had many of them and they never have let me down. A good candidate for a box purshase!
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    OPUS X oh my goodness amazing cigar full bodied so much flavor but so **** xpensive gotta love it
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    BigDan.:
    OPUS X oh my goodness amazing cigar full bodied so much flavor but so **** xpensive gotta love it
    Wow Big Bad Dan... You're moving up in the world... Going from nothing and asking for handouts right up to smoking a $30+ cigar! Not to mention throw in Cali's tobacco tax on top of it!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Interesting, doody. I'm pretty sure Hemingways are aged at the factory, so I'm not sure what would cause the immaturity you picked up. Puzzling.

BTW, I prefer the Classic, myself. The Signature always leaves me feeling like a victim of cigarus interruptus; you know, that "didn't quite finish" feeling.
    hmm.. interesting. If it's not immaturity, I wonder what that background flavor was, then. I also wonder if this "immature" flavor I've invented in my head really has nothing to do with age.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    urbino:

hmm.. interesting. If it's not immaturity, I wonder what that background flavor was, then. I also wonder if this "immature" flavor I've invented in my head really has nothing to do with age.
    In my experience and how it has been explained to me, Immaturity is an amonnia taste or smell. I've noticed this most often through the nose.