Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    well im gna be hanging out with some friends tonite and we will all enjoy some drinks and smokes and great stories i think im gna have a 5 vegas A im not sure i brought a few cigars with me just in case but i think im set on the A

Take Care

Dan
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just finished an early smoke, one of my locally rolled lovelies and Rodriguez cognac blend panatela. You guys have seen me post several times about these, so I'll save the praise this time around. Suffice to say, these are really nice mild cigars, and the panatela was very good.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Well... What a crap ass way to end a non-cigar week... After being down and out all this time and not getting any, for SOME reason my stupid ass decided to pull out an Acid Def Sea... I picked it up in a sampler a while back just for something different to try... I've had the Kuba Kuba before and it certainly wasn't my cup of tea, but it wasn't too bad and was certainly different...

Well let me tell ya it was HORRIBLE... To begin with while most cigars will stimulate all the taste centers on your tongue, this one only stimulated one... BITTER.... terribly horribly bitter...

Without a doubt it was the worst cigar I've smoked to date...

Way to goooooo! .... BUTTHEAD!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    So what are you saying, Shirley? Did you like it, or not?
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    urbino:
    So what are you saying, Shirley? Did you like it, or not?
    Oh no, don't get me wrong.... I really liked it...
  • Options
    I just finished up with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Churchill courtesy of our friend urby. This was a pretty nice cigar with a great draw, razor's edge burn and a good depth of flavor. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of the churchill size, though I did like how this one evolved over the course of the smoke. I want to try this in the toro or robusto size and see if maybe those grabs me a little more. Solid smoke though, thank you kindly Mr. urby.

Joe
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had the Ashton ESG and Camacho Triple Maduro today.

Lets start with the Ashton. Terrible burn for the first half. No matter how may times I tried to fix it, it would just screw up more. It had a problem where the wrapper would burn but leave the lit filler sticking out like a torpedo. Also, everytime I tried to fix it, you could see the wrapper split. However the second half of the cigar burned much much better. Taste got a lot better the second half too. The last inch and a half to two inches got really harsh.

The Camacho had a few burn problems too but not as bad as the Ashton. I had to fix 2 - 3 times but after that it was fine. Started of mellow and got stronger.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Last night was at a wedding and then an after party. Had a Tat Private Reserve at the reception and a Cohiba Esp. at the after party. A very good cigar day. :)
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Gurhka regent last night...I would put it in the very good but not quite great category.
  • Options
    I bought two Artuero Fuente 8-5-8s yesterday and plan on having them with my uncle tonight.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    TFH, which wrapper on the 8-5-8s? It's been a while since I've had one, but I used to really enjoy the candela as a mild smoke.

I'm on the porch smoking a Java Wafe maduro right now. I was in the mood for something different and needed something fairly quick, so this got the pick.
  • Options
    To start my day off I had a small breakfast of rye toast and a Gurkha of some sort...I received it in a sampler some time ago. It is mild-medium in body, has a Connecticut wrapper and the Legend band.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Tonight was a RP Vintage 99 torp - one of my favorite mild smokes.

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Tonight I continued rolling through the Urby boffo sampler (which makes up most of my inventory these days)... Sol Cubano Sumatra Churchill. I've heard lots of mention around here about a "barnyard" flavor or aroma. The wrapper on this thing was more like "petting zoo" ... in other words, a somewhat unpleasant and unpromising scent. A lick on the cap was remarkably sweet -- almost like the false dipped cap of the Flor de Oliva. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing was misted with something.

The odd scent of the wrapper never presented itself in the smoke, which was a lovely, somewhat earthy taste you get from a lot of the mid-range Gurkhas (Regent comes to mind). The sweetness popped up every now and again, but not to the point of being distracting like the Flor de Oliva. The flavor through the nose was very muted. The stick showed remarkable change in character throughout, bringing in some subtle spice through the nose in the middle, but always maintaining that same underlying profile. The aroma was very enticing, and with the low breeze the smoke settled nicely into my lap.

At the price, this cigar is an amazing value. Fairly mild-medium in body, with a good even burn, and enough complexity to keep things interesting. The best part about the boffo sampler is that it contains my favorite cigars (like the RP 92 and the Trinidad) as well as cigars that are being added to my list as favorites. I'll definitely grab up more of these as an affordable smoke to share with friends. I liked this a lot better than the Cuban Cabinet (which is also very good). I definitely want to try more of the Sol Cubano line. As a closing note, this cigar showed amazing stamina (100 minutes with a little left to burn when I finished it up). Great stuff!
  • Options
    Yup. When I smoked my first one of those, I think I said it was the barnyardiest cigar I'd ever smoked. Odd how so many unlit cigars have flavors/aromas you wouldn't think of as pleasant -- barnyard, gas station men's room -- but you find you like them very much once they're lit.
  • Options
    smoked a gurkha regent, my first one and i really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm about to head out to smoke a CAO (cow) Gold.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    that did not pan out well. it was bitter, harsh (for a mild to medium body), and grassy in nature. the draw was fine but the burn was uneven. I put it out after an inch or so. it was still too late. my palate is done.

i wonder what happened to this cigar before i got it.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:
    that did not pan out well. it was bitter, harsh (for a mild to medium body), and grassy in nature. the draw was fine but the burn was uneven. I put it out after an inch or so. it was still too late. my palate is done.

bummer, kooz.. I've been excited about this one. I'm trying to put together a list of Connecticut-wrapped cigars that I really like (so far it's 5 Vegas Gold, 601 Black, the locally-rolled Connecticut, Cusano Xclusivo), and I thought this had a good chance.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:

bummer, kooz.. I've been excited about this one. I'm trying to put together a list of Connecticut-wrapped cigars that I really like (so far it's 5 Vegas Gold, 601 Black, the locally-rolled Connecticut, Cusano Xclusivo), and I thought this had a good chance.
    if i was going to give it a rating it would have been 2 smoke rings -- a flawed cigar. the key word there is FLAWED. there had to have been something done to it at some point along the line before i put it in my humidor. CAO puts out better cigars than that. I never remember the gold tasting like that.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I'm working from home today so decided to take a break after a long conference call with the boss. I pulled a Ghurka Park Avenue out. This one had the exact opposite issue of every other Ghurka I've tried... it had a draw like a soda straw. And the taste? It's been many years, but it's what I remember White Owls tasting like. Yuk. Double Yuk. I gave up after five puffs. While taking the band off to put in my "never again" book, the entire wrapper just shredded.

Still wanted something, so went back and got an RP 1999 Connecticut, much better experience.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    zoom6zoom:
    I'm working from home today so decided to take a break after a long conference call with the boss. I pulled a Ghurka Park Avenue out. This one had the exact opposite issue of every other Ghurka I've tried... it had a draw like a soda straw. And the taste? It's been many years, but it's what I remember White Owls tasting like. Yuk. Double Yuk. I gave up after five puffs. While taking the band off to put in my "never again" book, the entire wrapper just shredded.

Still wanted something, so went back and got an RP 1999 Connecticut, much better experience.
    Where are you in Northern VA? My best friend lives in centreville.
  • Options

kuz:

You have probably tried them, but a couple of CT wrappers I particularly enjoy are the RP Vintage 1999 and Perdomo ESV 91. The Perdomo is one of my absolute fav's!

• Options
    Tonight was a Legends Plasencia. First maduro I have had from the line and it was excellent. Have some Legends Perdomo on order and looking forward to them too.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Don Pepin Vegas Cubanas...nice cigar. Very complex, nice spice and pepper flavors. Burned perfectly. Can't ask for anything more.
  • Options
    Had an Arteuro Fuente 858 last night. Had some serious draw issues. It was like drawing through a stir straw. Outside of that the flavor was great. I want to try it again back at home. I think the humidity was off with it before I got it. I went to a shop that I've never been to before in a state that I don't live in. They weren't even a smoke shop. They had a very limited selection of smokes.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Yup. When I smoked my first one of those, I think I said it was the barnyardiest cigar I'd ever smoked. Odd how so many unlit cigars have flavors/aromas you wouldn't think of as pleasant -- barnyard, gas station men's room -- but you find you like them very much once they're lit.
    Urby likes Gas station men's room... explains allot
  • Options
    Nice. I set 'em up, and you knock 'em down.

Yours Truly,
    George Michael
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Today started out great, it's only the 2nd time in 3 week that I haven't had to work at least one of my jobs. I was done with classes at noon, came home to do some reading, took a nap.

Then I decided to go get some dinner. On the way home, I nailed a pot hole (damn terrorists). Instantly deflated my rear tire. I limped the half mile or so home, then crawled under to check it out. The rim is seriously bent. That's 3 bent rims, (2 on the car, 1 on the bike) this year from pot holes, but this is the first that will have to be replaced. On top of that, the drivers door has been binding on the fender every time I open it the last couple days. I finally had a chance to look it over and figure out what's wrong, Apparently someone hit the front of the car over the weekend, probably trying to parallel park. None of the damage is really obvious at first, but the bumper is dented and chipped, the fender is shifted back and down, and there is paint missing from the door from the rubbing.

I decided to unwind and let my worries drift away on the smoke of a 5 Vegas "A", and the damn thing was plugged! I was able to mostly salvage it, but got a little light headed and queasy trying to keep it going towards the end.

On the plus side, while I was online filing an insurance claim, I decided to go ahead and order the 500 ct cabinet humi I've been contemplating. Soon I'll be able to repurpose my cooler and pelican case to their original uses.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Damn Scram, that sucks. I hope the rest of your week gets better! I can't believe the 'A' treated you like that after all the recomendations you've given that smoke.

Well after another intense day at the office(I'm trying to cram 2.5 weeks worth of work into 3 days bc I'm heading to OK on thursday) and after finding out the wife likely needs some fairly scary surgery I came home grabbed a bottle or 5 of Sam Octoberfest, a Tatuaje Brown Torpedo and the funnies from the Sunday paper. The Octoberfest is pretty darn good and the Tat was as good as ever, both being the perfect compliments to the fall evening.