Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Thanks for the health wishes, guys. I think I'm on the upswing, now, so maybe I'll be able to enjoy a good stogie before too much longer.
    bbc020:
    Later this evening I had a Avo Domaine #30. Great smoke with that classic avo smoothness with some awesome flavors. I swear I get something nutmeg-ish when I smoke this cigar.
    Innnnnteresting. I'm not sure I could identify nutmeg if I tasted it, but the Domaine does have some interesting flavors in it. I didn't know anybody around here besides me smoked 'em much, btw.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mmmmm nutmeg.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Still nothing for me this week... Been going to be too early at night since I have to get up at 3am for work... But if not tonight then I will for sure saturday night because that is my last day of work and I'll be ready to relax and smoke away the work week stress...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Nothing, again. Did I mention its 12 here.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My long weekend off work -Fri,Sat and Sunday....spent all day working on my house, painting and minor repairs here and there ....sumbeech time consuming...too tired to smoke anything tonight. need smaller house less maintenance since its only me and my wife now....Tommorow I think I'll take a trip to one of the local B&M's that had a Ghurka Warrior Chest cabinet humidor before Christmas and see if its still there. Just want to leave teeth marks in it or something so no one buys it till I can afford to, it is a beautifull piece. Comes with 60 lmtd edition Ghurkas. Da 'Bino's new humi has me thinkin....what if....hhmmm.....
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I pulled out a Camacho 1962 in the torpedo tonight. I've had the robusto (which was amazing) and the churchill (which was nearly as amazing). This ranks right up there, between the two. I got surprisingly less body out of this than I had the others. The taste is still fantastic, and this is one of my all-time favorites. I hot-boxed the hell out of the garage, though. It's cold here, so I kept the door shut. Now I've got it open to air out a bit while I'm cozy inside. One of these days I'll pick up the perfecto to round things out. These are great cigars.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This afternoon I had a CAO Black toro, it was an ok cigar but it didn't "pop" for me. I tried out a Rocky Patel Edge second, the liga A, and was thoroughly disappointed with the construction...first the wrapper cracked in several places, then it blew up and practically unraveled, not a happy camper was I. The flavor was there, but when you can't smoke the cigar, the flavor doesn't do much. I capped off the night with one I knew wouldn't disappoint, a 5 Vegas Classic box pressed, a chunky 5x55 square pressed beauty with all the flavor of the normal sizes and an added dimension that is probably due to the extra tobaccos used to chunkify it. And that put me back on happy camper status.
    I need to re-try the Camacho 1962 robusto and churchill, I guess. The first time, they didn't impress me nearly as much as the perfecto. It was almost like a completely different cigar. If I hadn't been expecting something like the perfecto, I might have liked that completely different cigar just fine.
    gmill880:
    Tommorow I think I'll take a trip to one of the local B&M's that had a Ghurka Warrior Chest cabinet humidor before Christmas and see if its still there. Just want to leave teeth marks in it or something so no one buys it till I can afford to, it is a beautifull piece. Comes with 60 lmtd edition Ghurkas. Da 'Bino's new humi has me thinkin....what if....hhmmm.....
    They should make me the new Treasury Secretary. I'd have this low demand problem straightened out quicker than you can say "Bob's your uncle."
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a ccom purple label. Good draw, A LOT of smoke, burned quickly, ok taste. It was an alright stick. Really hard to beat for the price though.

urbino:
    I need to re-try the Camacho 1962 robusto and churchill, I guess. The first time, they didn't impress me nearly as much as the perfecto. It was almost like a completely different cigar. If I hadn't been expecting something like the perfecto, I might have liked that completely different cigar just fine.
    gmill880:
    Tommorow I think I'll take a trip to one of the local B&M's that had a Ghurka Warrior Chest cabinet humidor before Christmas and see if its still there. Just want to leave teeth marks in it or something so no one buys it till I can afford to, it is a beautifull piece. Comes with 60 lmtd edition Ghurkas. Da 'Bino's new humi has me thinkin....what if....hhmmm.....
    They should make me the new Treasury Secretary. I'd have this low demand problem straightened out quicker than you can say "Bob's your uncle."

You've got my vote 'Bino --- I'd love those meetings with you passing around some of those smokes you gave us a peek at !!!!!! I think if they all smoked stoggies govt. would be more relaxed and efficient.

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Just got my 5 Vegas Sampler in so I dont know which one Im gonna brave a Cape Cod Winter night for
    gmill880:
    You've got my vote 'Bino --- I'd love those meetings with you passing around some of those smokes you gave us a peek at !!!!!! I think if they all smoked stoggies govt. would be more relaxed and efficient.
    And an intern in every pot.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Don't you mean an intern in every pair of pants?? hmmm...

Well today is a GREAT day! I picked up a few Oliva Serie V on my lunch break along with a Gurkha Ancient Warrior!!! I just LOVE making a new addition to my humi!!! hehe
    I have to try a ancient warrior

gmill880:
    My long weekend off work -Fri,Sat and Sunday....spent all day working on my house, painting and minor repairs here and there ....sumbeech time consuming...too tired to smoke anything tonight. need smaller house less maintenance since its only me and my wife now....Tommorow I think I'll take a trip to one of the local B&M's that had a Ghurka Warrior Chest cabinet humidor before Christmas and see if its still there. Just want to leave teeth marks in it or something so no one buys it till I can afford to, it is a beautifull piece. Comes with 60 lmtd edition Ghurkas. Da 'Bino's new humi has me thinkin....what if....hhmmm.....

Well tripped on down to the 'ol local B&M today. Sure 'nuff said Ghurka Warrior chest was still there. Cigars were not all in there. Some of the 60 lmtd edition had been sold according to the guy working there!!! He was not sure of capacity , said he thought between 600-800. The lmtd Ghurkas were part of the allure to the chest to begin with (at least to me anyway) I think he's off on capacity (I'll do some research on line). Asked if owner would make up for sold smokes with some premiums thrown in and he really didn't answer, although there would be some thrown in if I bought it. Still quite a bit more expensive than 'Bino's with less capacity. I guess your paying for the Ghurka name.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    800 bucks! ouch... yeah I would have walked away too...
  • cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Stopped by my local B&M and picked up a couple Perdomo Habano Corojo & Lot 23's. Had the Corojo about an hour on my drive across the state line to pick-up about $200 of beer for Fiesta we're throwing next weekend.

No Squirrell you misunderstood-- 600-800 cigar capacity -price was 1495.00 marked down from 1995.00 and they sold half the damn spec edition Ghurkas ....wtf...why would you sell cigars that were part of a special edition product you are trying to sell ...thats like going to a car lot buying a model you really want and then they tell you oh by the way we sold the cd player,spare tire and xm radio to someone else....why would you do that when its supposed to be part of the deal....
    lol, I drive across the state line to get fireworks, never beer though... well if I lived in WA I would, damn sales tax... I'm hoping on lighting up something tonight,...
    gmill880:
    No Squirrell you misunderstood-- 600-800 cigar capacity -price was 1495.00 marked down from 1995.00 and they sold half the damn spec edition Ghurkas ....wtf...why would you sell cigars that were part of a special edition product you are trying to sell ...thats like going to a car lot buying a model you really want and then they tell you oh by the way we sold the cd player,spare tire and xm radio to someone else....why would you do that when its supposed to be part of the deal....
    ah, yeah I misunderstood a lot of things.. lol. yup, that is sort of screwed up.. Are you in good with the shop? I do know that my shop will discount an open box from the reg. price. I've been tempted at times.
    I just can't comprehend why you would sell some of the 60 lmtd edition smokes that come with this humidor cabinet. Their supposed to go with it. even has the names on gold plated plates on drawers for the special ed. smokes! this thing is high enough money wise at 1495.00 to not get everything with it---the more i think about it the more mule-lipped it makes me.
    Sorry to hear that, gm. That's gotta be disappointing. Maybe he'd had it a long time, was afraid he would never sell it, and decided to start getting some ROI -- a piece at a time, if necessary.

My advice is to let me be your guinea pig, to whatever degree I can. See what pros and cons I run into with mine. Then you can make a more informed decision.

Thanks 'Bino. She (the owner is a lady) has had this Ghurka huni for about a year at least I think thats about the first time I saw it, pretty close anyway. As for ROI I would think a gradual markdown on price till sells or even an auction site...I don't know ...just left me perplexed. I think I will take you up on being the guinea pig .....that is an excellent way of getting good solid foundation on which to base my decision on. Appreciate ya 'Bino.

De nada. Literally. I mean, I keep posting about mine, anyway. Maybe some usefulness will make up for annoying everybody. ;)
    No annoyance at all....very interested in how it works out .....

Just finished a Ramone Allone robusto-los of smoke,lots of good tobaccoey woodsey flavor but had to relite 4-5 times,other than that enjoyable

I'm very interested in your dealings with the cabinet as well urby...I'll probably be looking to get one of my very own sooner rather than later.

Today was a long and relaxing day, so what better time to smoke a bunch of cigars? I started off early with an Ashton 8-9-8 which was superb. A bit later I had an El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme, which is an almost-robusto at 5x48, also a very nice smoke medium in body and so tasty. Later still was a Bolivar petit corona, unlit it smelled strongly of cocoa, and once lit the flavor didn't disappoint, in fact the only slight problem was a very tight draw...at one point I was puffing so hard one of my testicles was sucked into the body cavity...strange :). To cap things off, I took a Padilla 1948 churchill out with me after dinner to keep me amused while I finished assembling a grill, the grill is a pain in the ass, but the Padilla was superb.
    Glad to see someone else enjoys the El Rey Del Mundo's. I was beginning to think I was the only one here who smokes them. As for the grill I'm at the point in my life where I just pay the store to put *** like together ...like you said to damn much hassel ....when you could be enjoying another cigar....
    Yeah so many damn pieces...it's a good thing I had some cigars while I did it, or something might have gotten broken or disappeared.
    heh heh heh