Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    Hey Kas never had the Montesino,never really paid any attention to them, are they full,med or mild and taste close to what?
    With the Montesino the Natural tends to run on the medium to mild side, it has the Fuentes perfect construction and great flavor profile. The taste would be similar to maybe a Cusano 18, or the M1, Kind of somewhere between a 5 Vegas classic and the 5 Vegas Gold. It is unique in it's taste but one that I find pleasing. I know what you mean about not paying attention to them, because if you didn't know Fuentes made them you might think they were a Fuentes knock off.

Had my first Montesino , a robusto natural, today. Hey Kas you were exactly right it tasted just like a M1. The wrapper started to crack about halfway thru , proably due to me trying to duck outside with a buddy and burn one with 17 degree temps and a windchill of -1 degree and snowing, but I was anxious to see what it was all about. Good cigar but I would proably go with the M1 as I really couldn't tell much difference and I can pick up the M1 at a local hole -in -the-wall b&m for about a 1.50 a stick cheaper.

• Options
    lvlawlvlaw Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I'd like to ask some of you more experienced smokers about a problem I had tonight.  Lit up a Cohiba churchill which has been in the humidor for about 6 months, maintained in the mid 60 humidity range.  When I lit it up, it burned through the first half in about 15 minutes, then settled into a normal rate.  Construction issue?  Something I did in the way I kept it?  I'd appreciate your thoughts.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    Had a Legends series orange label (rocky patel) tonight definately one of my least favorite of the legends series smokes but was still fair. It burned fine and tasted ok I just think with this line of cigars it is hard to beat the yellow (Pepin), red (perdomo) and purple (graycliff) blends. I think I am going to have to break into the box of VSGs soon though I just cant get enough of them but if I cant keep my urge to smoke them under control I will smoke the whole box in a matter of a couple weeks and then I will be sad.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    lvlaw:
    I'd like to ask some of you more experienced smokers about a problem I had tonight.  Lit up a Cohiba churchill which has been in the humidor for about 6 months, maintained in the mid 60 humidity range.  When I lit it up, it burned through the first half in about 15 minutes, then settled into a normal rate.  Construction issue?  Something I did in the way I kept it?  I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Sounds like a construction issue to me, lv. Bummer.
  • Options
    lvlawlvlaw Posts: 18 ✭✭
    The worst part is that this is the second straight time I had an issue with a Cohiba.  Last one was a plugged toro.  Murphy's law.
  • Options
    Hm. Did you get them both from the same place? Maybe the way they're storing them is **** them up. Or maybe it's just the [bad] luck of the draw. I've only had one Cohiba (courtesy of maddy) in recent years, and it was excellent.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had another double up today. Had a Padilla Miami robusto today after work. What a great cigar, was sweet almost the whole way through, only mildly spiced, would love to get more of these. Later tonight I had a Cuvee Rouge, I think Andy sent me in PIF back in late October. Another good cigar with mild spice and sweet notes. Thanks for the smoke Andy!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to smoke a cigar today, damnit. It been far too long.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    Had another double up today. Had a Padilla Miami robusto today after work. What a great cigar, was sweet almost the whole way through, only mildly spiced, would love to get more of these. Later tonight I had a Cuvee Rouge, I think Andy sent me in PIF back in late October. Another good cigar with mild spice and sweet notes. Thanks for the smoke Andy!
    That Cuvee rouge is one of the only cigars that I taste something crazy. I swear it has a red wine flavor on the finish.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    lvlaw:
    The worst part is that this is the second straight time I had an issue with a Cohiba.  Last one was a plugged toro.  Murphy's law.
    I smoked the Black Dragon 8.5 X 52 the other day. The first few of inches maybe 3 - 4 went quick but the last few took forever to smoke. The taste was great though. It could have been me slowing down too but I doubt it.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I haven't had anything since Sunday during and after the Pittsburg game, but I'm thinking about lighting up something this afternoon after dinner before I go to bed. Might have an Oliva Serie G Maduro or I might try my Zino Classic... Just not sure yet...
  • Options
    Had a Oliva V Double Toro at the shop today
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Had a Oliva V Double Toro at the shop today
    ya shoulda called me.

im planning on going tomorrow before work.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon.. The cigar started out great.. Spicy, and complex in flavor. The burn was a little rough and would not hold an ash very well, but then things took a bad turn. The taste really went away on this one. It started to taste papery, and then very bitter. After three re-lights I knew it was not going to get any better. I tossed it half way through. Bummer. I usually give Cusano sticks higher marks, but this one didn't really compare to others that I have enjoyed.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Had a nice 5 Vegas Series "A" Alpha after work today. I might have another later as we have set up a cigar area in the basement for our fiesta on Saturday...but I havent made up my mind what it will be yet.Maybe a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet or perhaps Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ? I just don't know yet.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    200 pages!

I've been working my way through a Gran Habano sampler this week.
  • Options
    cheyman:
    Had a nice 5 Vegas Series "A" Alpha after work today. I might have another later as we have set up a cigar area in the basement for our fiesta on Saturday...but I havent made up my mind what it will be yet.Maybe a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet or perhaps Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ? I just don't know yet.
    I like this guy. Have you had a Sol Cubano Sumatra? If you like the Cuban Cabinet the Sumatra is even better IMHO.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Have you guys had the 5 Vegas "A" Anomaly? I really like that little guy, stout and packs a punch.

This afternoon I had an El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme, this is my second one, and I can say I like it. It has a good flavor profile and an easy medium body, great for early day/afternoon. For an evening smoke I had a Padilla Miami churchill and it was very good, I have mixed feelings about churchills in general, but this one was just what I expected.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    Have you guys had the 5 Vegas "A" Anomaly? I really like that little guy, stout and packs a punch.

I love the Anomaly. I picked up a couple on the road one day and they had the yellow-ist(word?) cello I think I'd ever seen. The little girl who helped me with the purchase said they had well over a year on them. These were just awesome for a petit corona. not a short smoke by any means, but definitly full of flavor. I need to get back to the B&M soon to buy the rest of their stash

Yet another two smoke evening for me. Started with a Padilla 48 Robusto on a road trip. Was a nice smoke. I think I could start liking these Padilla lines of cigars. I wasn't too impressed with the Obsidian, it was nice, but the Miami I had last night and the 48 tonight were exceptional.

On the ride home, I had a DPG Serie JJ Torpedo (from COTM). Another fantastic cigar. Had that signature Pepin spice to start, just a bit more subtle, but was more on the medium side with some great creamy flavors. Will have to get a couple more of these.
  • Options
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    I feel ya Urb! After my two mile run when I got off work yesterday afternoon I just went home, ate dinner, and collapsed in my chair for the night. The weather here is great this week too. Low to mid 70's with a little breeze in the afternoons. I need to find a place where I can smoke a good cigar while getting a massage! That would hit the spot right about now! haha
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    I feel ya Urb! After my two mile run when I got off work yesterday afternoon I just went home, ate dinner, and collapsed in my chair for the night. The weather here is great this week too. Low to mid 70's with a little breeze in the afternoons. I need to find a place where I can smoke a good cigar while getting a massage! That would hit the spot right about now! haha
    Keep talking about warm weather we may jump you.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    Well yall all just load up and come to TX, we can have one big smoke-a-thon! haha Got a great bar near me with tons of pool tables and it's cigar friendly with some SEXY girls slingin drinks!
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    Well yall all just load up and come to TX, we can have one big smoke-a-thon! haha Got a great bar near me with tons of pool tables and it's cigar friendly with some SEXY girls slingin drinks!
    I've been to Texas a couple of times, I'm wary of SEXY Texas girls. I learned quickly that everything is bigger in TX including the ladies, and you guys like it that way.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    I've been to Texas a couple of times, I'm wary of SEXY Texas girls. I learned quickly that everything is bigger in TX including the ladies, and you guys like it that way.
    Haha, Obviously you haven't spent much time in Dallas. There is a reason the PGA Tour and NASCAR and all the other sports love to come to Dallas, and that the ladies. The Pros on the PGA tour voted the Byron Nelson as the place with the best looking women of anywhere they travel. You do know we are home to the famed Cowboys Cheerleaders right?
  • Options
    Speaking of Texas, I have a funny Texas related story.

I was sitting in a bar in London(yes, England) talking to the person I was with. Out of the blue this South African girl walks right up to me and tells me I'm from Texas, she did not ask me, she informed me. "You are from Texas". To which I responded, "The hell if I am. Only steers and queers come from Texas". No offense guys but I really did say that to her. She gave me a puzzled look at that and then said, "Yes you are, you have to be from Texas."
    "Um, why do I have to be from Texas?"
    "You said y'all, only people from Texas say y'all"
    "Have you been to the US?"
    "Well no but I saw on TV ..."

Moral: Not only Americans are dumb enought to believe everythign on TV.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Damn, I wanna cigar!
    Haha, Obviously you haven't spent much time in Dallas. There is a reason the PGA Tour and NASCAR and all the other sports love to come to Dallas, and that the ladies. The Pros on the PGA tour voted the Byron Nelson as the place with the best looking women of anywhere they travel. You do know we are home to the famed Cowboys Cheerleaders right?
    You are correct, I've never been to Dallas. San Antonio, Austin and Houston. I almost took a job in Round Rock.

Well the Cheerleaders have to be famous, do you know how hard it is to get people to cheer for that bag of @sshole they put on field there in Dallas?
  • Options
    madurofan:

I was sitting in a bar in London(yes, England) talking to the person I was with. Out of the blue this South African girl walks right up to me and tells me I'm from Texas, she did not ask me, she informed me. "You are from Texas". To which I responded, "The hell if I am. Only steers and queers come from Texas". No offense guys but I really did say that to her. She gave me a puzzled look at that and then said, "Yes you are, you have to be from Texas."

Haha That is funny, but at least I'm not an Okie! The only reason Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf is that Oklahoma SUCKS! hehe
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:

Haha That is funny, but at least I'm not an Okie! The only reason Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf is that Oklahoma SUCKS! hehe
    Yea I've been to McAlester, OK on two stints now for two weeks at a time. Wow...
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Well, I broke my rule today. I found an aswesome deal that I couldn't pass up. I got the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary Humidor made by prometheous and 8 Don Carlos 30th anniv. cigars and a free ashton humidification device for $280. I have this humidor in Black and got it in the Macassar Ebony. Oh man.....