Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was somewhat hit and miss for me. I started off the early part of the day with a Perdomo Reserve Champagne toro, a very nice medium bodied cigar, excellent construction and flavor. A bit later I sat down with a Rocky Patel X-outs Liga A robusto, which is the Edge second, and it was good until I noticed a very large crack about midway down running about 3/4 around the cigar, it would have been fine except for a split that developed about 1 1/4 inches in. To end the night I had a Montecristo White toro, this was good, it had excellent construction and probably one of the prettiest Connecticut wrapper I've seen, the flavor was good but not completely to my liking, but overall it was a good medium-full smoke.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Blew thru a local b&m in quite a hurry but noticed some camacho 3m buy one get one free-I thought most everyone here liked these , just curious as to why the fire sale ....
  • Options
    May not be a hot seller gmill. A lot of people here who have tried it like it, but I'd guess most here haven't had one, at least that is my assumption from reading a lot of what people say. I like it myself and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a strong maduro. The robusto is my choice.
  • Options
    Thanks Joe-I will give 'em a try next week when I get back there as I enjoy most maduros
  • Options
    I recently bought a box of Joya de Nicaragua Anta
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    Today was somewhat hit and miss for me. I started off the early part of the day with a Perdomo Reserve Champagne toro, a very nice medium bodied cigar, excellent construction and flavor. A bit later I sat down with a Rocky Patel X-outs Liga A robusto, which is the Edge second, and it was good until I noticed a very large crack about midway down running about 3/4 around the cigar, it would have been fine except for a split that developed about 1 1/4 inches in. To end the night I had a Montecristo White toro, this was good, it had excellent construction and probably one of the prettiest Connecticut wrapper I've seen, the flavor was good but not completely to my liking, but overall it was a good medium-full smoke.
    If you have more of those and don't want them, j0z3r, I'll happily take them off your hands. I normally smoke the Rothschild, but a toro wouldn't go amiss, either. ;)
  • Options
    That was the only one I had, well aside from one you sent me. I plan to give it a second shot, see if maybe there was something I missed with this first pass. What I said may have sounded a bit negative, but on the whole I did enjoy it. I don't think I'd be looking to spend what they normally sell for, but, like the Zino Platinum Scepter, if some came by me with a lower price tag I would be more than happy to have one or two or five. :)
  • Options
    JdfemsJdfems Posts: 2

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I look forward to what will be a LONG and wonderful hobby! My wife and I purchased a new house in Sept, and the wonderful thing about having a pool/spa combo (been a dream of ours for quite some time) is that even when the outside temp is 40 degrees, you still want to fire the spa up and jump right in! Tonite was no exception.. I will say, smoking in the spa is a new found vice, the victim tonight was a Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina. Earlier I had stated that I'd purchased 2 Hemingways and I was incorrect, they were 8-5-8s. First time I'd ever sampled a Camaroon and knew that's what I was smoking;. Definitly liked the ash composition and burn pattern, good and tight all around. The wrapper had a distinct oily, sweet texture to it, a bit odd to get used to at first, being that I've only smoked Conneticut wrappers. I have to say the first 1/3 took some getting used to, not overpowering, just different. By the half way point, I was loving it. Good, rich, thick smoke that just filled my mouth and made me want to linger and hate to exhale, except to watch it billow out. I'm definitly going to smoke a few more and maybe make a larger purchase. I have to work the next two days, so I've packed along a Conneticut Nub, an AVO #2, and the other Davidoff second (I'm going to give it another shot). I have a big "meeting" on Mon, so if it goes good, I'll be smoking a celebratory cigar on the way home.
    t

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Jdfems:
    wonderful thing about having a pool/spa combo (been a dream of ours for quite some time) is that even when the outside temp is 40 degrees, you still want to fire the spa up and jump right in!

WOOHOO Herf at JD's House!!! LOL
    Had a 5 vegas miami tongiht. Great cigar! Going to be buying more of these. A few friends are coming over and i have some RP Old World corojos that are begging to be burned, simply a rich, thick, decadent smoke.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    j0z3r:
    rwheelwright:
    I'm bringing a Cuban (not sure if it is a Partagas Serie P #2 or Monticristo #2. When you take the labels off they look identical and they cost exactly the same)
    That would be a bummer for me. I didn't care for the Monte #2 while I think the Serie P is excellent, so not knowing which it was would be quite the gamble.
    Either way, it was good cigar. Took about an inch for it to develop but I smoked it till I could not even hold it anymore and I still wanted more. The Master Select was a bummer. It had a nice taste but very little of it. The last on I had in that same size was really good. I have a few more. Maybe they will be better. Oh, and it had massive burn issues. Every time I would fix it, it would get worse. I finally gave up and just smoked it as it was. As for the other two, I didn't get to them. Oh well, another day, another smoke!
  • Options
    Turns out we didnt smoke the OWM's we both my friend and i had Gurkha Master Selects and the ladies had CAO Eileens Dream. The gurkhas were good, my friend loved it, i was hoping for a bit more but it had a good flavor. I think i like a darker cigar or something more full bodied in the evening, a double maduro or 5 Vegas A was something more like what i was craving. The ladies loved the CAO's, it seems a lot of people have entered the world of cigars through flavored ones. Thanks to Gmill i have a fat Java waiting to be smoked tomorrow morining!
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Tonight I'm probably gonna smoke a 5 Vegas Classic with a cop buddy of mine down here on the lake. Fire up the wood burning stove out in the shop and smoke and have a few drinks. I haven't tried the Classic yet so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot!
  • Options
    I think you're gonna be very pleasantly surprised by a cigar at that price.
  • Options
    Yea, it's one that I've been wanting to try for a while. It's the Dbl nickle size and I've heard good things about it. I've got a Sol Cubano for my buddy. Thats become one of my favorite smokes.
  • Options
    Smoked a Nub Box Pressed Cameroon tonight. YUM is all I can say.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Jdfems:
    wonderful thing about having a pool/spa combo (been a dream of ours for quite some time) is that even when the outside temp is 40 degrees, you still want to fire the spa up and jump right in!

WOOHOO Herf at JD's House!!! LOL
    Had a 5 vegas miami tongiht. Great cigar! Going to be buying more of these. A few friends are coming over and i have some RP Old World corojos that are begging to be burned, simply a rich, thick, decadent smoke.
    Hell ya! I haven't had anything for about a week. Been sicker than snot.
  • Options
    I feel your pain, Feebs.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Pulled out a 601 green robusto tonight. So far so good.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Smoked a Sun Ripened Oscuro on the drive from St. Louis to Paducah. Got it in a PIF a long time ago. I think it was either from Smoke or Ron. It was before I was keeping track of these things.
  • Options
    I attempted a few smoke today, the only notable one was a 5 Vegas Classic Fifty-Five, I think it's a great size in the lineup possibly my favorite...I'll figure that out when I revisit the torpedo. Oh well, tomorrow is a fresh day and we'll take it from the top once again.
  • Options
    Smoked a 5 Vegas Gold while working the grill and cooking dinner. I set it down and forgot about it for about an hour, re-lit it and.....well....some cigars just arent meant to be re-lit. I have a bunch of stuff i have to do before tomorrow so thats probably it for tongiht, got a Bolivar in mind for tomorrow though.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    j0z3r:
    I attempted a few smoke today, the only notable one was a 5 Vegas Classic Fifty-Five, I think it's a great size in the lineup possibly my favorite...I'll figure that out when I revisit the torpedo. Oh well, tomorrow is a fresh day and we'll take it from the top once again.
    I agree Joe that and the torpedo are my 2 favorites in that line as well I think the 55 packs a bit more strength then the torpedo though and since I like stronger cigars anyway I think the 55 is my favorite. Did I send you that stick in the PIF a couple weeks back? I dont remember what I sent other then the VSGs.
  • Options

nothin tonight

• Options
    Stoogee:
    j0z3r:
    I agree Joe that and the torpedo are my 2 favorites in that line as well I think the 55 packs a bit more strength then the torpedo though and since I like stronger cigars anyway I think the 55 is my favorite. Did I send you that stick in the PIF a couple weeks back? I dont remember what I sent other then the VSGs.
    Going by memory, you sent me an unbanded La Herencia, two VSG robustos, and...I can't remember the rest. But no, the 5V 55 was one I bought, got a sweet deal on auction.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    I had an MX2, tasty maduro. In other news, I stopped by the B&M in search of opus x ( as always) and got a nice don carlos forbidden x, cost me $40 bucks, but eh it was worth it.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Sunday was a two smoke day for me. Started yesterday afternoon with an ITC 10th Toro, a first for me, and an excellent smoke, but to go with the discussion in another thread, I think I like the Decade just a bit more.

Finished the day off with a nice dinner followed by an Ashton ESG 21 Year Salute Robusto. This was an interesting smoke. Was a bit free on the draw and didn't want to burn too well, took a few touch ups to keep up with it, but was a great flavorful smoke. I would love to have expereinced it without the draw and burn issues.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tshaw:
    I had an MX2, tasty maduro. In other news, I stopped by the B&M in search of opus x ( as always) and got a nice don carlos forbidden x, cost me $40 bucks, but eh it was worth it.
    fantastic find
  • Options
    No smokey for me today. I'm driving my car. Haven't driven it for almost a month. It's so much different than my truck. Sucker really moves. I guess with 340hp, it better! Oh, and the way it handles... Love it!
  • Options
    I actually didn't get to smoke my 5 Vegas Classic last night which is VERY dissapointing... Hopefully tonight I'll get to light it up and enjoy with a nice glass of Makers on ice! Mmmm....
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    tshaw:
    fantastic find
    don carlos makes a forbidden x? hmm, didn't know that.