Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeppers, 5 Vegas A. Hit the spot.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    Well, my experience with the Diamond Crown (regular, not the Maximus) was very nice. I was shooting for a mild cigar with some good flavor, and this delivered. I'm not normally a fan of the Connecticut wrapper, but this was pretty good, and showed distinct charcter changes throughout - most notably a surprising spice in the middle. Exactly what I was looking for tonight, and a nice way to welcome the latter half of the week. Thanks a bunch, BBC!
    Perhaps I'll give the regular Diamond Crown a shot one of these days, I've been known to appreciate a good Connecticut wrapped cigar.

To finish where I left off with my Padron earlier, I capped off the night with a Padilla Signature 1932 torpedo. CA rated this cigar a 92, I'd say they were right on the money if not perhaps a bit low with their rating. This was an exceptional cigar.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well nothing for me lately... Never did get to smoke that 5 Vagas Classic last week and I'm back at work now plus we have had ice storms here so I'm really needing a good smoke. Sadly, it will probably be Superbowl Sunday before I can have one. Not sure what it will be though...
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I had an Ashton Panatela earlier today...I forgot how extremly mild this cigars is....It tasted like ammonia...First stick I havent finished in a while.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cheyman:
    .It tasted like ammonia.
    sure fire sign that it needs rest and/or was let out of the factory too soon
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    j0z3r:
    dutyje:
    Well, my experience with the Diamond Crown (regular, not the Maximus) was very nice. I was shooting for a mild cigar with some good flavor, and this delivered. I'm not normally a fan of the Connecticut wrapper, but this was pretty good, and showed distinct charcter changes throughout - most notably a surprising spice in the middle. Exactly what I was looking for tonight, and a nice way to welcome the latter half of the week. Thanks a bunch, BBC!
    Perhaps I'll give the regular Diamond Crown a shot one of these days, I've been known to appreciate a good Connecticut wrapped cigar.

To finish where I left off with my Padron earlier, I capped off the night with a Padilla Signature 1932 torpedo. CA rated this cigar a 92, I'd say they were right on the money if not perhaps a bit low with their rating. This was an exceptional cigar.
    I think I read (here?) that the Maximus is the same blend as the regular Diamond Crown, but with a Sumatra wrapper. If you didn't like the Maximus, you may be underwhelmed by the regular Diamond Crown as well.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    nothin' tonight - still wiped out
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Smoked a Nording and a Hoyo Dark Sumatra. Check out my post in the Cigar Choice thread.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a Oliva Serie V Maduro last night. When I first lit it, the taste was really good. Near the last two inches, I had touble keeping it light and the draw got firmer. I cut some more off the end and it got better but at that point I could not keep it lit. Everytime I would light it, it would go out within 20 seconds. I finally gave up at the last inch plus it was getting really bitter.

I started yesterday with a San Cristobal Clasico yesterday. Smoked about half and put it in a tube for later smoking. It was starting to get soft and mushy though. I think tonight is going to be that 5 Vegas Limitada 2008 but am not sure yet.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Let's see, I can home from a **** day at work that capped off a **** week. My two mutts who had been in their kennels all day without getting out (cause wife is out of town) had thoroughly relieved themselves in the kennels. So after giving the dogs a bath and cleaning out the kennels, I had to start on the 12 inches of snow covering built-up ice from the ice/snow storm we had. While doing that, I lit up a RP sun grown that I think I received compliments of Urbi. I was covered in water from the baths and freezing my ass off since it's 17 degrees here, but man that smoke was good. Until about 10 min ago, I felt like life had really punched me in the nuts. Now I'm ready for a good weekend and a Steelers victory on Sunday.
  • Options
    I had a Macanudo 1968 while doing a little clean up in the back yard. I know its a Macanudo but this wasn't a bad cigar, it wasn't great but I would definetly smoke it again. Perfect burn and draw. Didn't hold its ash worth a damn but the flavor was pretty decent for a medium bodied cigar. I'm impressed.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    short of an ideal smoking day, but I did get to enjoy an Avo Maduro while running around after work. A very pleasant cigar. I enjoyed other Avo offerings, inlcuding the Domaine and XO, but this was very nice. I will surely have to get a few more of these.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Luko ( on the second floor) I'll be cheering for your Steelers on Sunday. Stay warm and dry, we finally have some half way decent weather headed my way this weekend, That is to say 35- 40 degrees and no snow for the two days. This will melt enough snow to make room for the expected snow Tueday and Wednesday, ( I hate winter).
  • Options
    Glad the RP hit the spot, Luko.

I'm gonna go out and have something, in a bit. Dunno what, yet. Suggestions?
  • Options
    urbino:

Hey Urbi, I've got Nording on my mind.. I ordered a box of them yesterday, and now I can't get them out of my head. ( damn you & thank you jOz3r) That or one of your favored Avo Domaine..
  • Options
    No Nordings around (except for the pipe). But the Domaine is a good idea. Haven't had one in a while.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Luko ( on the second floor) I'll be cheering for your Steelers on Sunday. Stay warm and dry, we finally have some half way decent weather headed my way this weekend, That is to say 35- 40 degrees and no snow for the two days. This will melt enough snow to make room for the expected snow Tueday and Wednesday, ( I hate winter).
    Thanks, Kasper...I almost hate those 40-degree days because you get the melt and muck and it just makes everything miserable. Then again, mounds of snow and bitter cold's no good either. Come on, spring. Go Steelers...
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Thanks, Kasper...I almost hate those 40-degree days because you get the melt and muck and it just makes everything miserable. Then again, mounds of snow and bitter cold's no good either. Come on, spring. Go Steelers...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:

Friday night, man... treat yourself to a Hemingway. How long you planning to stay out? Got any of those Masterpieces left, and is it really warm enough to sit out that long yet? ehhh.. scratch all that.. Fire up one of your Oliva Special S.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    ( damn you & thank you jOz3r)
    That is almost exactly what I said to Tim Blythe when I ordered a few boxes of Padilla cigars at a special deal price. You look at the money you spent and just kinda gurgle with your mouth open, but when you smoke the cigars, it's all worth it. Good thing the Nording is only running around $80-$90 for a box, not a bad price at all for such a cigar.

As for what I'm smoking...crack, or at least something I can see being as addictive as crack. The Drew Estates Liga Privada No.9 is a killer smoke, I can't believe I haven't tried this one yet. I might just pull out of that box split and keep them all for myself Maddy ;).
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I might just pull out of that box split and keep them all for myself Maddy ;).
    Sonuva...
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I had my first RP Vintage 90 second earlier before I got my hairs cut...and I was extremely happy with the smoke. Then I lit up a RP Fusion (Same name as the best razor blades you can buy) while my wife and I played beer pong...effen fantastic...I thought I was ready to give up on mild cigars..and then I smoked the Fusion...very very nice...I can't wait until Sunday when I try the RP Fusion MM!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I might just pull out of that box split and keep them all for myself Maddy ;).
    Sonuva...
    lol...seriously though, they are good, I'll think you'll like them. If you are a fan of the Ashton VSG and/or the Toraño Virtuoso, this one will be right up your alley.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    lol...seriously though, they are good, I'll think you'll like them. If you are a fan of the Ashton VSG . . . this one will be right up your alley.
    Ruh-roh.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Friday night, man... treat yourself to a Hemingway. How long you planning to stay out? Got any of those Masterpieces left, and is it really warm enough to sit out that long yet? ehhh.. scratch all that.. Fire up one of your Oliva Special S.
    Haven't had a Hemingway in forever. I don't have any Masterpieces, but I've got a few Classics and several Signatures.

I'm kind of afraid to smoke the Special S's. What with them being discontinued, I kinda just want to look at 'em.

I think I'll have a Punch Gran Puro. Haven't had one of those in a long time, either.
  • Options
    Decisions, decisions, urbi.. walk over to the humidor/vault and one will call your name, It will sound like this, " Hey urbi.... smoke me ! "
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Decisions, decisions, urbi.. walk over to the humidor/vault and one will call your name, It will sound like this, " Hey urbi.... smoke me ! "
    And if you hear a voice saying "hey urby, feed me.", just tell duty to pipe down and play with his tiny burro.
  • Options
    Right.

Well, I had the Punch, but I should've listened to one of the suggestions here. It was a bit dry, and very loose. It smoked okay, and the flavor was good, but it just wasn't quite right. Plus, some carpet-cleaning numbskull seems to have decided this would be the perfect time to park his van just down the way, and fire up the bleedin' noisy Ultra-Suction Machine.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sorry about the Punch 'Bino I've always liked the Gran Puro very much ....have one sitting in my work desk top....may light up tommorrow depending on weather, today snowed from early morn till 5:30 pm ,temps mid 20's and a freakin' wind chill down to 7 degrees-windy as h-ell
  • Options
    I like them very much, too (thanks, kuzi). And they're so reasonably priced, I've got a box resting.

I'm surprised by your weather. Tomorrow should be a good smoking day, here. Things have warmed up from midweek's ice storm; tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and about 50. You're at roughly the same latitude as us, so I wouldn't have expected it to be so much colder there.