Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had a couple REALLY good days of smoking cigars this week! First off I'll start with Super Bowl Sunday. I started the day with a RP Fusion MM and it was a good solid smoke. Lots of flavor and great draw with no burn issues. The only complaint I have was that it had no complexity. It was good, but it was the same from begining to end. The next smoke of the day was a gift from a friend and WOW!!! What a gift! Got to try my first God of Fire! GREAT smoke with lots of flavor and VERY complex! It was the Carlito GOF. I have to say this was a big suprise to get this smoke and I enjoyed every minute of it. Then to top the night off after such a good game I smoked a Gurkha Legend. Another great smoke!

Last night a friend of mine came over and the wife and I fixed him dinner for his birthday then we stepped out to have a smoke and I had a RP Vintage 92. As always one of the best smokes out there. This is one I can always count on to be good. He smoked the RP 90 and we sipped on some Maker's Mark. Overall another great night!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Damn Puro that does sound like a couple good days.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Last night I smoked the "Holiday Torpedo" I bought in November from our local shop. It was a limited-edition house blend (I think only 100 were made). This was a barber pole made with corojo and maduro wrappers. It was supposed to be spicy and a bit more full-bodied than the regular house blends. I've been excited about it for some time.

When I was at the shop this weekend, I asked to see if they had any left, and they were out. They warned me that there had been some quality control issues, and some of the sticks were gritty and burned poorly. This greatly lowered my expectations for the cigar.

I guess I got lucky because this cigar was excellent. It kicked off spicy, and finished spicy, but the middle was smooth and very thick/creamy. The creamiest I've ever experienced. The body was around medium, and the flavor was a heavy leather, with what I would describe as a vanilla character and subtle hints of spice. I nubbed the heck out of this thing, and wish I had another on hand.

I shipped one of these to Ron in the PIF. Not sure if he's smoked it, but if he hasn't, it's one of the last in existence. Hopefully it isn't one of the bum sticks they warned me about. Mine burned perfectly, and was another great cigar. I have yet to run into a bad cigar out of those house blends.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Lucky Ronnie.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Well, I broke my word about not smoking this week. I couldn't help myself. I smoked a Montecristo Peruvian Buena Fortuna today. I have had them since March 2007. Only have a couple left. Nice and tasty I must say. They have aged well. A lot better than I remember them when I first bought them.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a La Unica 400 earlier. Not bad, kinda creamy and on the lighter side. Overall an okay smoke, but I don't think I'd buy any more.
  • Options
    I'm smoking a  5 Vegas Cask-Strength II right now and what a great smoke it is.   Bold and rich flavor, very full bodied with a lot of smoke with every puff.  Perfect smoke to wind down a busy day at the office.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Gurkha Symphony.. A mild cigars ( by my standards ) but very pleasant. Very smooth throughout and a solid flavor.. woody and nutty. Very good construction and burn. I wish I would have known in advance how good this was, as I smoked the only one I had.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Today was a Gurkha Symphony.. A mild cigars ( by my standards ) but very pleasant. Very smooth throughout and a solid flavor.. woody and nutty. Very good construction and burn. I wish I would have known in advance how good this was, as I smoked the only one I had.
    good to hear, I have a 5er sitting..
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    good to hear, I have a 5er sitting..
    You will not be disappointed. I will pick up another 5'er as soon as I can. This is one I had for about nine months, damn, I miss it already.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Actually had a symphony  today also and it was a great smoke. Only one left for me. Another one I tried that I really liked was the signature 101.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Nothing today,work was hectic and too cold to smoke outside ( single digits and snow)..not in the cigar mood this evening...maybe tommorow...

on a side note father in laws brain surgery set for Friday 6th @ 2:00 pm @Baptist hospital in Winston-....say a little something for us....

obviously Bahama trip cancelled but thats ok....pops is what is most important and only thing on our minds now

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    We'll keep your pops in our prayers Gene!!
    Rooted around in the Humi for something i havent had in a while and came up with a 5 Vegas Classic. Yummy! I forgot how much i like these and they are a great price to boot. Love me some Sumatra wrapper :)!
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Gmill - Really sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Is it malignant or benign? What's the location? The brain stem region would be a little more difficult. Don't want to overstep, and you don't have to respond.... My thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I hope everything goes well Gene, I'm gonna head on outside and burn one for your father in law.
  • Options

Thanks Tumbler, its malignant and in the left frontal lobe, we are very confident in his surgeon and praying for a near as complete recovery as possible...these things are really scary though and no one in my immediate family has ever been through this...thanks for asking

Thanks Joe ...really appreciate it

• Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Brain surgery is a scary thing. Do you know the size and the cell type... I assume they are probably thinking radiation as a follow up. There willl be some swelling after surgery - They will put him on steroids - He may be on 'em now. It can take a little while to bounce back.

The surgeon is the single most important component. It's good you have confidence there. If there is anything I can do - PM me - I have some resources - ...
  • Options
    PM sent bro...thanks
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Sending good karma to you and your family from Pittsburgh, Gene.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a couple of good ones today, this afternoon was a Padron 3000 habano which will always have room in my humi and I just finished up with a Padilla Signature 1932 churchill which will certainly become a staple of my rotation.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Evening guys,

Had two good cigars today.
    This afternoon I tried an Oliva Serie V - very spicy, but honestly, not nearly as strong as I thought it would be.  I actually think an Excaliber 1066 is a bit stronger..what do you think?
    The Oliva had a great flavor and it wasn't overpowering.
    Then this evening I lightened things up with a Don Diego Aniversario robusto.  Very mild and smooth.

- Shawn
  • Options
    lvlawlvlaw Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Tonight had a Perdomo2 Maduro Epicure,  Was a great full strength stick with a nice sweet flavor on top of a good coffee taste.  I needed this with a nice glass of bourbon to make a lousy day better ... until I reads the thread about gmill's father in law.  No matter how bad a day we have, that's a sobering reality to make anyone realize that their day may not have been so bad after all, because neither I nor my any family member is fighting for their life.  Your father in law is in my thoughts and prayers for a successful recovery, and I hope that all goes well.  Best wishes to you and your family.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm thinking of you and your family g-man. Hope everything turns out well. Cancer sucks.
  • Options
    My thoughts are with you Gmill, I hope everything goes well.
  • Options
    Just got done smoking some Trinidad maduros with a few friends and my boss. It was a great time and a good smoke. Very flavorful and smooth, I may not stock the humi with these, but I will probably keep a couple around.
  • Options
    Smoking my first Ashton VSG i just went and got form B&M not as flavor ful as expected,,, wondering if it is that aging thing again? good draw, nice even burn
  • Options
    I had a Camacho 1962 Curchill taking up way too much room in the humi so i set it on fire. Very satisfying. Nice flavor, raisin and cedar on the finish and mild/medium body. Exceptionally smooth. I was impressed, then i was more impressed when i looked up how much they cost...adding to the shopping list...
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Jetmech_63:
    I had a Camacho 1962 Curchill taking up way too much room in the humi so i set it on fire. Very satisfying. Nice flavor, raisin and cedar on the finish and mild/medium body. Exceptionally smooth. I was impressed, then i was more impressed when i looked up how much they cost...adding to the shopping list...
    Did I send you that one Chief? I haven't smoked the churchills yet, I was wondering how they were since the others have been great.
  • Options
    AAHAA...You sent me that one! I got it from someone but couldnt remember who. It was an awesome smoke, my first one. Very cool down to the 2 1/2" mark and lasted about 1.5 hours. Loved the flavor!
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    After breakfast this morning, I went outside with my coffee and lit up a Carlos Torano Casa Torano. 
    Then after dinner I had another classic Ashton corona.  That might be my favorite.

- Shawn