Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had an Oliva Serie G maduro torpedo this afternoon, a nice smoke I must say, I think this is the first Serie G maduro I've had. I ended the night with a whimper having a RP OWR second, a maduro torpedo, I suppose it was ok just nothing special.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I just stubbed out an Avo Domaine #30. Tasty, as ever. First smoke I've had in several days.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I met a buddy up at the B&M last night for a smoke. We both had the El Truinfador, the ghost cigar. I swear if they'd let me buy more than two at a time I'd buy a whole damn box. Its nothign like the rest of the Tatuaje line but none the less very yummy. Its a good change of pace cigar for me.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    what are the chances they will have any left when I get down there in a couple weeks. Am I just going to be sitting around your local B&M hearing how great the El Truinfador was, or am I gonna get a chance to purchase a couple?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Nothing for me last night, but I'm thinking about a 5 Vegas Classic tomorrow night. I have a physical agility test for work tomorrow afternoon so after that hopefully I can go home and have a smoke and a drink to celebrate me passing. Wish me luck!!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'll grab one for you next time I'm in there to make sure.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked two last night. A Nub Connecticut and a RP Fusion (my first).

The Bun dissapointed me. I've had them before and thought they were better. This one started off bitter. Then the creamyness started however it was masked some by the bitter taste. I left almost on inch left when I quit smoking it. Not sure what the deal was. This one has been aging for a while. I actually don't remember when I got it but it was at least 4 months ago. I do have a few more that I got in the sampler packs. Those are the ones that are not cut even. I wonder if they will affect the smoke at all other than burn issues. Hey, if it burns uneven like it is cut I can deal with that. It would mean that the uneveness is consistant.

Next was the RP Fusion. I didn't know what to expect from this. It was completely different than the Nub. When I sparked it up it reminded me of another smoke I've had but I can't place it at the moment. It got better as time went on. Smoked till the last inch when it started to get a little bitter. It left me pretty satisfied.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Tonight I sat around with a couple of the guys and had 2 and a quarter cigars. It was initially going to be 2, but one was so bad I had to put it out and smoke a different one just to get the taste out of my mouth.

Started off with one of (if not THE) best cigars I have had yet, a Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, the gold banded one. Oh man, this was a good f-ing cigar! It was so smooth, but still had a good amount of strength and alot of flavor. It had a strong but not over-powering chocolate/cocoa taste with something else there under it. It also had an excellent draw and burn. Like I said, if this wasn't the best cigar I have had yet, it is definately in the top three. I will certainly be keeping a few of these in my humidor at all times.

Next, I had an Acid Def Sea and my buddy had a Kuba Kuba. Let me say first off, I do enjoy a good infused cigar. I love the Kuba Kuba and also dig the Java Maduro quite a bit. So, this is not coming from a purist who automatically hates flavored cigars, but jesus that thing was god-awful. It tasted like I was sucking on a nasty incense stick. The burn and draw were good, but I could not get past that horrid taste. My mouth tasted like I had literally been licking car air fresheners. I gave it a little while to see if it was going to change, but a quarter way in it hadn't so I had to put it out.

After that fiasco, I had to smoke something to get the taste out of my mouth, and my buddy was still on the Kuba Kuba, so I grabbed a Java maduro. This one was just like the previous ones I have had, great draw, great burn, great taste. An overall pleasurable smoke.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Graycliff 1666 Torpedo. I had this one since April '08, and it was a really great smoke. Leather, spicey, chocolate, most of the time but there were moments of what I can only describe as green apple. First time ever for that taste. The burn became a little uneven at times but the stick always managed to correct itself. An overall very pleasant cigar. I will look for a deal on these and stock up, let them rest, and know I have some proven winners. ( two thumbs up )
  • Options
    I smoked one of my favorites tonight. It was a Romeo y' Julieta Habano Reserve Belicoso. I have a box from Oct. 08 that I hadn't planed on opening till Oct. 09 but I couldn't resist. It was excelent and thats about all I can say because i'm not great at Identifying diferent flavors yet, I smoke em', and I either like them or I dont. I cant wait to see how these smokes improve over the next few months!
  • Options
    Not sure what and if I am going to smoke tonight. Decisions, decisions. Maybe one of those Padillas that I have gotten in.

On a different note, I opened my new Humi and there was another tiny tiny bug in there. So, I took everything out, put them in bags and in the freezer. I then took the humidor and put it outside. It's too big for the freezer so I figured these freezing temps should fix that problem. I just hope it doesn't split. I should be able to get it into a fridge after though.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I had a Man O'War on the commute home...I still have 4 cases of beer from a couple weeks ago...so I'll probably have another smoke...possible a Padilla '68
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    cheyman:
    I had a Man O'War on the commute home...I still have 4 cases of beer from a couple weeks ago...so I'll probably have another smoke...possible a Padilla '68
    You will have to post a follow up in the " what are you drinking tonight" forum.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I met a buddy up at the B&M last night for a smoke. We both had the El Truinfador, the ghost cigar. I swear if they'd let me buy more than two at a time I'd buy a whole damn box. Its nothign like the rest of the Tatuaje line but none the less very yummy. Its a good change of pace cigar for me.
    so what was yummy about it? never heard of it but I usually like the stuff you do..
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Just finished up a 5 Vegas classic... Not one of my normal favs, but you just can't go wrong with 5 Vegas ANYTHING... I'm always impressed...

There was a long stretch there where enjoying a cigar during the winter meant freezing my *** off... Fortunately those days are long gone... I recently got my garage completely cleaned out (wasn't even standing room before, LOL) and now it's fully decked out with a great little lounge/poker area and a 55,000btu forced air heater... Warms the place up within 5 minutes and keeps it perfectly toasty... Ahhh the good life... ;)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    Just finished up a 5 Vegas classic... Not one of my normal favs, but you just can't go wrong with 5 Vegas ANYTHING... I'm always impressed...

There was a long stretch there where enjoying a cigar during the winter meant freezing my *** off... Fortunately those days are long gone... I recently got my garage completely cleaned out (wasn't even standing room before, LOL) and now it's fully decked out with a great little lounge/poker area and a 55,000btu forced air heater... Warms the place up within 5 minutes and keeps it perfectly toasty... Ahhh the good life... ;)
    You know I just did the same thing, though still working on it. Got the poker table all set up, got some chairs in there, just don't have such a great heater. Though it's getting there. Ah yes, no wind and cold ass air!
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    rusirius:

You know I just did the same thing, though still working on it. Got the poker table all set up, got some chairs in there, just don't have such a great heater. Though it's getting there. Ah yes, no wind and cold ass air!
    The one I got is a ReddyHeat 55k... I was a little concerned that it might "stink the place up" but it works FAR better than I could have expected... As long as you burn Kerosene in them and not diesel or fuel oil it burns really cleanly... That model also has a built in thermostat which is great... Just set it and forget it...

If my garage was actually insulated I could have got away with something much smaller, but it's not insulated at all... I was actually concerned that 55k might not be enough, but it's perfect... Even on the coldest of days (i.e. tonight) LOL, it's nice and toasty in here... ;)
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Had a Don Diego tonight...the one in the plastic tube.

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

3 days now I believe since had a smoke,way too much going on. Update on my father-in-law brain surgery. Complete success, tumor removed (about the size of a grape). He did exceptionally well for a 72 year old guy, doctors said he was one tough cookie. May actually get to come home if everything continues to progress by monday or tuesday. He will then have about 10-12 radiation treatments. May be able to use the gamma knife treatment if cavity where tumor was removed shrinks.

I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank all you guys for your prayers,thoughts and well wishes....there are truly some outstanding guys on this forum and I and my family appreciate you very much....

may still smoke something late to just unwind afer today

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Awesome news Gene!! Here's to you pop's continued and speedy recovery :)
  • Options
    Glad to hear it Gene...maybe there is something to be said for positive vibes...or perhaps your father in law is too damn stubborn to let a tumor put him down. :) Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Today I tried something new, a La Aroma de Cuba robusto, a pretty good cigar if I do say so, the flavor profile was right up my alley. The only downside was my impatience...I couldn't let them settle in and adjust to a lower humidity, no sir not me, I had to have one fresh off the doorstep and as sure as turds stink it was too moist and would not burn properly. Oh well, it was good anyway.

This evening I had part of a Romeo y Julieta churchill tubo...from the island. It was very nice with a mellow and subtly complex flavor. The damn wind snubbed my efforts to finish it, however, and I only made it to the halfway point. A very good half-cigar though.
  • Options
    rusirius:

Shirley!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Glad to hear it Gene...maybe there is something to be said for positive vibes...or perhaps your father in law is too damn stubborn to let a tumor put him down. :) Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Today I tried something new, a La Aroma de Cuba robusto, a pretty good cigar if I do say so, the flavor profile was right up my alley.
    I've got a fiver of those resting, my damn self. Glad to hear you like them, since that usually means I'll like them.

Great news on your fil, gm. Here's hoping everything just keeps on going.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:

Today I tried something new, a La Aroma de Cuba robusto, a pretty good cigar if I do say so, the flavor profile was right up my alley.
    I've got a fiver of those resting, my damn self. Glad to hear you like them, since that usually means I'll like them.
    I'm tempted to say the flavor was almost Cubanesque, not particularly unlike an El Rey Del Mundo. Tasty though, that's the bottom line.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Smoking up a Bolivar that Jetmech got me in a pass, so excited it smells awesome. My buddies are smoking up Java maduros. Topping off a pretty good night too.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:

I'm tempted to say the flavor was almost Cubanesque, not particularly unlike an El Rey Del Mundo. Tasty though, that's the bottom line.

I've had a couple La Aroma's over the past few days. broke into last month's COTMC shipment and had the La Aroma de Cuba Monarch on Wed...I found it quite tasty as well, but not as nice as the La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial no 1. Both were fine smoke though!

Tonight was a AVO 787 Robusto....what a special smoke, very subtle yet still had a lot of flavor.
  • Options
    Ooooo, I've been wanting to try the 787.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    Smoking up a Bolivar that Jetmech got me in a pass, so excited it smells awesome. My buddies are smoking up Java maduros. Topping off a pretty good night too.

Love me some Bolivar! I really like the flavor of that stick and its a mellow smoke. I just had a Nub Habano i think i got from BBC. I honestly had low expectations but wow, great flavor and the little guy lasted an hour. I'm properly impressed, nub really has a good thing going. I think i'll hit the B&M tommorrow and smoke a cameroon Nub.
  • Options
    Gene, glad to hear all went well.

Had myself a 5 Vegas A Robusto. I thought it was a little bitter but had some interesting flavors to it too.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    yesterday I had a Trinidad, my first one. It had sat in my humi for over 2 years. Really nice smoke. Started off peppery buy soon mellowed out nicely to an earthy, slightly damp smoke. Almost like the CAO Criollo but not as damp. Great for a friday afternoon to relax.