Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had an R&J Reserva Real last night. I've always smoked the toros, but this one was a torpedo. It seemed a bit stronger than the toro, oddly enough. Smoked great. I've burned a boatload of these, and I don't think I've ever had a construction problem.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    yesterday I had a Trinidad, my first one. It had sat in my humi for over 2 years. Really nice smoke. Started off peppery buy soon mellowed out nicely to an earthy, slightly damp smoke. Almost like the CAO Criollo but not as damp. Great for a friday afternoon to relax.
    I like the Trinidads quite a bit, real nice smoke. I haven't had one aged anywhere near that long, I believe the two I had were resting for a month or two at most.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    alienmisprint:
    Bad Andy:
    yesterday I had a Trinidad, my first one. It had sat in my humi for over 2 years. Really nice smoke. Started off peppery buy soon mellowed out nicely to an earthy, slightly damp smoke. Almost like the CAO Criollo but not as damp. Great for a friday afternoon to relax.
    I like the Trinidads quite a bit, real nice smoke. I haven't had one aged anywhere near that long, I believe the two I had were resting for a month or two at most.
    It wasn't intentional...but it worked out great. I have to get some new ones and smoke a fresh one then set another aside again.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Jetmech_63:
    Garen B:
    Smoking up a Bolivar that Jetmech got me in a pass, so excited it smells awesome. My buddies are smoking up Java maduros. Topping off a pretty good night too.

Love me some Bolivar! I really like the flavor of that stick and its a mellow smoke. I just had a Nub Habano i think i got from BBC. I honestly had low expectations but wow, great flavor and the little guy lasted an hour. I'm properly impressed, nub really has a good thing going. I think i'll hit the B&M tommorrow and smoke a cameroon Nub.
    Do yourself a favor and pick up a fiver of those Nub Cammys. That Bolivar was a frigging great smoke, due to the weather and my buddies being pansies about getting wet, I had to set it down after 2 hours and about an inch of smokeable stick left. Made my heart break a little.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had two awesome smokes today...started with the Nording compliments of my buddy Jozer. It was terrific, solidifying my appreciation for anyting RP. It was rich and very nutty, good finish, maybe a little bit of spice? It burned like a champ with no issues whatsoever.

And later in the day I had my first Tabacos Baez. This was great too, not quite as strong. I'd say mild-medium. Very rich and creamy, again maybe a little bit of spicke.

Wish every day could go like this.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Luko:
    Had two awesome smokes today...started with the Nording compliments of my buddy Jozer. It was terrific, solidifying my appreciation for anyting RP. It was rich and very nutty, good finish, maybe a little bit of spice? It burned like a champ with no issues whatsoever.

And later in the day I had my first Tabacos Baez. This was great too, not quite as strong. I'd say mild-medium. Very rich and creamy, again maybe a little bit of spicke.

Glad you enjoyed it Luko. I'm also glad to hear some positive feedback on the TB as I've been wanting to try that as well. Now I have no excuse not to pick up a fiver. What was the size you had?
  • Options
    It's been a Fuente day for me, so far. Started off with a candela. Either it was off or I was off, but I didn't enjoy as much the 2 previous ones.

Just finished a Hemingway Classic, the first one I've had in a long time. Much better. It took it a couple inches to warm up, but the remaining 5 were just lovely.

Maybe I'll finish up with a Don Carlos.
  • Options
    I had a Camacho 1962 perfecto, courtesy of urbino, this morning. I'm still not the biggest fan of the 1962, but the perfecto was the best one I've had, aside from the Pre-Embargo size/blend that is, and it was good. To finish off the night I had an isom El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme, a very nice medium bodied smoke, pretty much good for any time of day.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    It was 50 in Chicago land this morning so I had a RP VSG with my coffee. The weather was wonderful, but the VSG would not be mistaken for an Ashton. I am finishing up with a Camacho tripe maduro 11/18 tonight - It was much better than the RP, but I believe I like the smaller ring size better with the triple, but need to experiment a little further... :)
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Luko:

Glad you enjoyed it Luko. I'm also glad to hear some positive feedback on the TB as I've been wanting to try that as well. Now I have no excuse not to pick up a fiver. What was the size you had?
    Thanks again, Sparky. I definitely enjoyed the TB, had a toro.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! A 3 smoke day. Started off with a RP Old World Maduro, came to the conclusion that it's a very heavily dyed wrapper...i love Rocky but he really loses points for doin that, satisfying smoke though. Later while grilling dinner was an Oliva O, Tasted much like the G Cammy but a bit stronger and spicier. Ended up the day with a 5 Vegas Limitada, my first one ever, another home run for 5 Vegas. A touch of sweetness, balanced spice and soft cedar, and only $6 a stick....sooo on the shoping list.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

First smoke since tuesday? I think. WOW! Gurkha Rare Breed robusto . One helluva smoke. Now, I'm no Kuzi when it comes to reviews but lets take a look at this baby.

Nice dark toothy wrapper with a slight sheen. Feels a bit soft, makes me wonder. Pre light draw is very good, cap taste abit earth and slight mild pepper. Light is easy and smooth, decent construction. First coupla draws are very much pepper and maybe white pepper . Very distinct and quite good, after about a half inch a flavor of mild pepper, earth and what I would describe as a peppercorn hint , very flavorable. Ash is a nice white blue and very solid, holds for litle over an inch. Third of a way in, flavor of pepper,spice and almost a hint of cinnamon and very creamy. Lots and lots of rich creamy lazy smoke, almost seems like it hangs seductivly in the air right in front of you, inviting you to enjoy the moment, I actually found myself after exhaling about half mouth and half nose then stepping forward into it for another whiff of an outstanding aroma. Almost halfway thru white pepper becomes more intense, flavor more pronounced and rich, a flavor I can't quite distinguish, but a little burn issue, I even this up but not even annoyed because of flavor. Heading into last third more flat earth and spice prevalent , smoke is great, still mild pepper, smoke thick and enticing -still very creamy. Burn issue again but may be my fault, I correct it easily. Smoke down to the nub and am very impressed inspite of burn issue. Glad I got a fiver, a definite keeper, can only imagine how much better with a little age.....This is my first full size Gurkha and I am duly impressed...seems like I may have found another brand to investigate....makes me wish I hadn't left the Ancient Warrior I have at work or it could be on the casualty list for this weekend. Time for another drink.....

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    Just finished up a 5 Vegas classic... Not one of my normal favs, but you just can't go wrong with 5 Vegas ANYTHING... I'm always impressed...

There was a long stretch there where enjoying a cigar during the winter meant freezing my *** off... Fortunately those days are long gone... I recently got my garage completely cleaned out (wasn't even standing room before, LOL) and now it's fully decked out with a great little lounge/poker area and a 55,000btu forced air heater... Warms the place up within 5 minutes and keeps it perfectly toasty... Ahhh the good life... ;)
    Holy $hit Shirley where you been. It's good to see ya back.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:

3 days now I believe since had a smoke,way too much going on. Update on my father-in-law brain surgery. Complete success, tumor removed (about the size of a grape). He did exceptionally well for a 72 year old guy, doctors said he was one tough cookie. May actually get to come home if everything continues to progress by monday or tuesday. He will then have about 10-12 radiation treatments. May be able to use the gamma knife treatment if cavity where tumor was removed shrinks.

I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank all you guys for your prayers,thoughts and well wishes....there are truly some outstanding guys on this forum and I and my family appreciate you very much....

may still smoke something late to just unwind afer today

That's great news gene, good things will continue to come your way.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:

First smoke since tuesday? I think. WOW! Gurkha Rare Breed robusto . One helluva smoke. Now, I'm no Kuzi when it comes to reviews but lets take a look at this baby.

Nice dark toothy wrapper with a slight sheen. Feels a bit soft, makes me wonder. Pre light draw is very good, cap taste abit earth and slight mild pepper. Light is easy and smooth, decent construction. First coupla draws are very much pepper and maybe white pepper . Very distinct and quite good, after about a half inch a flavor of mild pepper, earth and what I would describe as a peppercorn hint , very flavorable. Ash is a nice white blue and very solid, holds for litle over an inch. Third of a way in, flavor of pepper,spice and almost a hint of cinnamon and very creamy. Lots and lots of rich creamy lazy smoke, almost seems like it hangs seductivly in the air right in front of you, inviting you to enjoy the moment, I actually found myself after exhaling about half mouth and half nose then stepping forward into it for another whiff of an outstanding aroma. Almost halfway thru white pepper becomes more intense, flavor more pronounced and rich, a flavor I can't quite distinguish, but a little burn issue, I even this up but not even annoyed because of flavor. Heading into last third more flat earth and spice prevalent , smoke is great, still mild pepper, smoke thick and enticing -still very creamy. Burn issue again but may be my fault, I correct it easily. Smoke down to the nub and am very impressed inspite of burn issue. Glad I got a fiver, a definite keeper, can only imagine how much better with a little age.....This is my first full size Gurkha and I am duly impressed...seems like I may have found another brand to investigate....makes me wish I hadn't left the Ancient Warrior I have at work or it could be on the casualty list for this weekend. Time for another drink.....

one of the couple gurkhas I do not have. glad it was good, well no, I'm not since I have to pick up one or two now. eh..
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Smoked a Padilla Miami and '68 last night. Both were ok. Not great but good. Let's se what a little age does with them.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

3 days now I believe since had a smoke,way too much going on. Update on my father-in-law brain surgery. Complete success, tumor removed (about the size of a grape). He did exceptionally well for a 72 year old guy, doctors said he was one tough cookie. May actually get to come home if everything continues to progress by monday or tuesday. He will then have about 10-12 radiation treatments. May be able to use the gamma knife treatment if cavity where tumor was removed shrinks.

I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank all you guys for your prayers,thoughts and well wishes....there are truly some outstanding guys on this forum and I and my family appreciate you very much....

Wow - missed this Gene - Wondered how things were going, and it looks like - just perfect! So happy for you and your family!
  • Options
    Just finished up another 5 Vegas Limitada 08. I think these would improve with age. The flavor was right on but i had some burn/draw issues that just didnt jive. Had to puff 3 times to get an acceptable amount of smoke and the burn required constant tlc. Anyone else had that problem. It's worth noting that of the 4 limitada's in the humi, this one was remarkably darker than the others.
  • Options
    I haven't had the burn or draw issues you speak of, but I can attest that they do improve with some time. I picked up a box when they were released and have smoked two of them, one right away the next about three months later, and the difference was notable and positive.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    The '08s do indeed improve with some rest. I also picked up a box a few months ago and have been pleased with their improvement. I've included one in my last few PIFs also.

We had really nice weather this weekend. Today I had Gran Habano Habano #3 which was great but just wouldn't stay lit, seemed too moist which is suprising considering I've had trouble keeping the humidity up lately. Finally had to bail on it about halfway through. Replaced it with a CAO VR Moby which was great and burned flawlessly even with the bit of breeze. These have been sitting a while, haven't had one in a few months.
  • Options
    I also agree the Limitados improve with age and I haven't had any burn issues.

Had a 5 vegas miami knuckle at noon. It's another cigar that really improves with age. I have found these at a real bargain time and again.

• Options
    Tumbler:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

Wow - missed this Gene - Wondered how things were going, and it looks like - just perfect! So happy for you and your family!

Thanks Guys

• Options
    I'm crackin' up at the burro/donkey avatars.

After starting yesterday with 2 Fuentes, I went slightly off the farm to finish up: Ashton VSG Illusion. Enjoyed it thoroughly, as always. These things are absolute smoke bombs, and have a great, complex flavor.

Nuffin' so far today, but I'm about to fix that.
  • Options

urbino:
    I'm crackin' up at the burro/donkey avatars.

After starting yesterday with 2 Fuentes, I went slightly off the farm to finish up: Ashton VSG Illusion. Enjoyed it thoroughly, as always. These things are absolute smoke bombs, and have a great, complex flavor.

Nuffin' so far today, but I'm about to fix that.

Was that the burro farm you went off 'Bino?

• Options
    Today was a two cigar day. I started off early with a Drew Estates Java maduro toro courtesy of gmill. I was pleasantly surprised, had a nice, unobtrusive flavor...I swear I tasted cocoa puffs on it. Thanks for that Gene, it was good. A bit later I settled down with a book I started reading and a Rocky Patel Rosado double corona, normally a size I stay away from, but since I had a book to read I figured a big cigar would be a good pairing. And it was good, a nice medium - med.- full body, mellow flavor with a solid burn and draw even in the wind.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The weather here has been fantastic. Temps above 70 degrees, sunny... wonderful. We spent most of the weekend out in the back yard. Fired up the moon bounce for the kids. My son celebrated his 5th birthday. My parents were in town. I lit up an Oliva G Maduro Belicoso, courtesty of BBC, while I played lasso golf against my dad (he whipped me). The Oliva G is a great cigar, in any wrapper, as I have come to find out. The cammie is perhaps a bit tastier, but I love both of them. They'll be in constant stock if I ever get around to picking up another humi.

Today, we fired up the grill for some burgers. More moon bounce and lasso golf, and I set a Hemingway Masterpiece on fire. This thing smoldered in excess of 2 hours. It had suffered some humi abuse, so was difficult to draw at full length, but as it shortened up, the cracks disappeared and the smoke became full. I wrestled with this baby for a long time, and my lasso golf suffered mightily by the time I was done. I took that baby down to the nub, and went inside for a siesta. What a perfect weekend! Thanks, Urbi and BBC!
  • Options
    Grilling dinner again, great excuse to smoke and it was a Cusano Habano Sun Grown, the first inch wasnt anything special but it developed a real nice flavor, soft cedar and an earthy leatheriness. Cool and tasty to the nub, no spice and very smooth.
  • Options
    I am finishing the night with a Sol Cubano Cuban cabinet torpedo. Another reasonable smoke that's quite tasty. I'm over a 1/3 of the way through - the ash is still there and the burn is perfect.

• Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Just finished up a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008... This was the FIRST 5 Vegas cigar I wasn't thrilled with... The flavor was so-so, and worse yet it had horrible burn issues. Upon pre-light inspection I noticed lots of flaws in the wrapper, the roll was very loose at the foot and very tight at the top. I spent more time doing corrective lights than I spent smoking. One side constantly and consistantly wanted to not burn at all. It really detracted from the whole experience. By the end of it all I just sat there thinking, "Man, what happen to the 5 Vegas I've come to know and love???" Every other 5 Vegas cigar I've had I've absolutely loved and the construction was flawless... This was anything but...

A real disappointment...
  • Options

A Drew Estates Java Robusto Maduro tonight.... always a good smoke for me....like enjoying time with a old friend