Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Last night I had a Gurkha Royal Brigade and a Monte Media Noche. Between these 2, there was no contest: the Monte mopped the floor with the Gurkha.
    Really? I have had both and did not like the Monti at all. However, I have had a few royal brigades and only one Monti.
    I've had several of both (and still have a bunch of both). I like the Royal Brigade, but I like the Media Noche much better. That's me, though. Somebody with different flavor preferences will think differently.
    The Monti I had was pretty large. Maybe I'll try some other sizes and see what they are about.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Right now I am thoroughly enjoying a 5 Vegas Series 'A'.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just got done with an Indian abac Ltd. Reserve Buffalo. I was pleasantly suprised, pretty good smoke. It was creamy with a taste that was almost like nuts, and the flavor continued to build all the way through the smoke. I normally don't dig churchhill sized cigars, but tonight a few of us were sitting around bullshitting, so it was okay.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I'm gonna take a risk, heh, and try Bahia Blu i have received with a few samplers...my expectations are set very low of this one.
  • Options
    Im with you on that one!!!! RP Vintage 1990 Toro = AWESOME SOMKE My personal favorate!!!
  • Options
    cheyman:
    I'm gonna take a risk, heh, and try Bahia Blu i have received with a few samplers...my expectations are set very low of this one.
    I had one and was not impressed at all. Not as bad as the Cusano Xclusivo that I had though.
  • Options
    Well, tonight is my smoking night. Not sure what I am going to smoke yet. I'm thinking the 5 Vegas Limitada 2008 and maybe an LXIII Platinum. Hrm... Decisions, Decisions....
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LFD event at the B&M tonight. Should be a good time.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    cheyman:
    Oh no !! Well, report back what your opinion was on the Bahia...Not in my top 1000 but all tastes are different.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    rwheelwright:
    The Monti I had was pretty large. Maybe I'll try some other sizes and see what they are about.
    I buy them in the Edmundo size.

Last night, I smoked an Upmann and a Don Carlos. Loved 'em both. The wrapper on the DC split almost immediately, but it still smoked pretty evenly, and the flavor was still DC.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    kaspera79:
    cheyman:
    Oh no !! Well, report back what your opinion was on the Bahia...Not in my top 1000 but all tastes are different.
    It started off raunchy and very harsh, but improved as I smoked it. I have a few more in the humi...who knows maybe with age. It did leave an unpleasant aftertaste which has been with me all afternoon. So I am taking action to fix that with s 5 Vega CSII.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    zoom6zoom:
    I can't tell you about the Fonsecas, haven't had them before, but just had a few arrive today (Habana Seleccion Cosacos, interestingly individually wrapped in tissue.) Will give one a try in a few days.

OK, couldn't wait, tried one of these tonight and was very pleased. A medium bodied smoke with some very nice flavor. It's a Criollo '98 wrapper with an aged filler. Good burn and draw.

I was amused to find that there was a second set of the bands under the tissue wrapping. This was a "what the heck" purchase (won an auction) that turned out nicely for two bucks a stick. It'll be nice to revisit once the others have rested a while. Recommended.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Two beautiful Nicaraguan puros on back to back nights, the cigar gods must be smiling on me. Tonight I had an Oliva Serie V double robusto, and of the three sizes I've had so far, it was the best IMO. The flavor was more diverse and complex than the lancero, the draw and strength was an improvement on the torpedo though the flavor was a bit less complex. And the burn was dead on save for a single minor correction early on. As I've said before, I like a good full bodied cigar as much as anyone and this baby pleased my to no end...well except that it had to end.
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Had a Cusano 18 this morning and loved it. Then, this evening, I lit up a classic Macanudo. I can definitely see why Macanudo is the most popular cigar in America. Had no burn issues and fantastic flavor from start to finish.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Nothing for me tonight. My regular day off and worked like a madman around the house today and outside....taking advantage of the nice temps we've had this week. Maybe tommorow.....
  • Options
    I had a good night but just ended badly. I started with a Gurkha Rare Breed Maduro. Interesting tastes. Had a little whole about 1/2 inch down. Had to conpensate for that. Maybe I'll try the natural tomorrow. Finished with a Churchill Gurkha Platinum LXIII. Nice smoke. Obviously much different than the first.

Here is where it gets back. I brought myself the Limitada 2008 to smoke but I didn't get to it. When I put it back in my humidor I noticed that the plastic was cracked. The whole cigar has a BIG split starting 1/4 from the bottom going up till the band and it's a deep split. Looks like it goes all the way to the filler. I'm so depressed. I knew I should have smoked it sooner. DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I may have to buy a couple just to try them. :-(
  • Options
    Had a Gurkha Beast today... It was okay.. wasn't greatly impressed. Started off extremely bland, but then got a little more flavor after the first third. burned out a couple times as well. Probably won't buy it again.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    Just smoked a Gurkha triple ligero and the first 1/2 inch had me excited about this cigar spicy and full bodied. After this point it really started to mellow out and a woody flavor took over with a hint of chocolate and it never really changed after that. I was really disappointed in this cigar and expected it to be a powerhouse and it really ended up being medium-full with not much complexity. I smoked it for a little over 2 hours and got bored with it and put it down with about 2.5 inches left. It was not bad just not what I was expecting and lacking in power for what it is.
  • Options
    Ouch. That sucks, wheelz.

I just had my first Indian Tabac -- a Cameroon Legend robusto. I liked the flavor, but it was plugged on one side and just wouldn't be loosened up.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I had an interesting RP 92 on the way to work, i got it from the b&m and it was just slightly longer than a hemingway short story, same look, closed at both ends, pretty tasty. Work is slow tonight so i just snuck in an Oliva G maduro Special G. Both smokes are always satisfying.
  • Options
    Smoking a Acid Kuba Kuba. Neve rhad one before. It's interesting. Not sure if I like it or not. I'm leaning towards it being just an OK smoke. The flavor from the wrapper is a little overwelming and I think it takes away from the cigar but I guess people who like flavored things and not so much cigars would like this. A LT I work with here at the base bought a box and gave me one.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Just finished a Oliva G compliments of Andy from my MAW pack....what a great after lunch smoke....thouroughly relaxing ...thanks again Andy
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i had an after lunch smoke today too.
    Partragas Black.

man i love this cigar.
    even the cigar mouth when you are done with it is better than most cigars while you are smoking them. I almost hate to bush my teeth and lose it. (but im going out with the wife in a few so... yeah)
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i had an after lunch smoke today too.
    Partragas Black.

man i love this cigar.
    even the cigar mouth when you are done with it is better than most cigars while you are smoking them. I almost hate to bush my teeth and lose it. (but im going out with the wife in a few so... yeah)
    Nice.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    one of my favs for sure.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had one of these several months ago and remember it being very good. I'll have to revisit that one Kuz!

Well I'm working today, but I may have a smoke when I get off work this evening to celebrate. My income tax check was deposited today and this is my first year to get to file as a married couple AND to get to claim my son! WOW!!! It's a HELL of a boost to have a little one as a dependant! I'll have to smoke something small so I can still get to bed around 8 or 9 pm, but I think I just might tonight!!!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Just finished a Oliva G compliments of Andy from my MAW pack....what a great after lunch smoke....thouroughly relaxing ...thanks again Andy
    I too had an Oliva Serie G Maduro, compliments of Maddy. This was marked #294 from his vast inventory.. This cigar had it all. A very enjoyable cigar. I will be getting more of these, and recommend them highly.
  • Options
    Fuente Gran Reserva Petit Corona, Rocky Patel Reserve 1999 petit corona so far. Both great short smokes.
  • Options
    I finished off last night with 2 -- count 'em, 2 -- 5 Vegas Classics. First I smoked one of the Fifty-Fives I recently bought. Under-filled. There was almost no resistance to the draw, and it practically smoked itself. To make up for it, I smoked a panatela. Much better. Hopefully, the rest of my Fifty-Fives will be better constructed.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Currently smoking one of the uber amounts of Bolivar Joe provided me with. I love this cigar.