Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That does sound damn fine.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a few good ones today. Started off early with a La Cuna bin 85 habano robusto, a nice medium bodied cigar to kick off the day, my thanks to urbino for turning me on to these. A bit later was a Perdomo Reserve Golf torpedo, this one was more medium-full and had a very nice flavor, though it didn't stand a relight too well when I set it down to eat lunch and came back to it, oh well, the first part was good. Finally, I just finished up the book I've been reading this week with a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño belicoso, which was a very nice full bodied smoke that was more tame compared to the unbridled strength of its younger brother, the robusto, and I can see why the belicoso received a 90 rating. A very good day indeed!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had a Padilla Habano Torpedo tonight. It was ok. I wasn't really that impressed with it.
  • Options
    I've never had the robusto, Joe. How's it compare to the toro?
  • Options
    More or less, it is pretty much a shortened version, the taste is pretty similar. The one thing I noticed, both with the toro and robusto, was a slightly tight draw. Not so tight that it can't be smoked, but a little more than I usually prefer. Pretty good though, had that unmistakable AJ Fernandez taste going on.
  • Options
    I like a draw just a touch on the tight side, so, for me, they're dead perfect.

I just smoked that 2nd Fresh-Rolled you sent me. This one didn't seem to have as much flavor as the first, but it's very possible that was due to me, rather than the cigar. Still smoked well, regardless.
  • Options
    I get ya. I like my draw with a touch of resistance, but I found these a little more than that, though not nearly enough to not smoke them. I'll have to try another of the Fresh Rolled topedos tomorrow, see what I think. You gotta admit though, it's pretty good for a <$2 cigar.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Had a Gurkha Legend Toro. Pretty good.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I didn't have a smoke last night, but I will probably have one tonight. The main reason I am posting is to brag about my wife! For Valentines Day she went out and got me a great new Xikar cutter and a Padron 1926 Aniv. Maduro! She does pay attention and has pretty damn good taste!
  • Options
    Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    It's 7.30pm here so it is tonight. I just had a lovley roast dinner and now I am smoking an oliva serie o double toro. very nice cigar, lots of flavour , lovley draw and burn. Life dont get much better.
  • Options
    I like the Serie O perfecto very much, Henry. I've never had the double toro.
    PuroFreak:
    Well I didn't have a smoke last night, but I will probably have one tonight. The main reason I am posting is to brag about my wife! For Valentines Day she went out and got me a great new Xikar cutter and a Padron 1926 Aniv. Maduro! She does pay attention and has pretty damn good taste!
    Wow. No kidding. Nice going, Mrs. Freak.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I get ya. I like my draw with a touch of resistance, but I found these a little more than that, though not nearly enough to not smoke them. I'll have to try another of the Fresh Rolled topedos tomorrow, see what I think. You gotta admit though, it's pretty good for a
    Oh, definitely. I just don't have room for a wheel of 50 cigars right now.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Had a Legend Purple Label earlier...I was a good smoke while I worked.
  • Options
    Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    This is the first oliva I have tried, but I will definitly be trying some more I realy enjoyed it.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    sweet. love it when a woman pays attention. hmmm, maybe I should try that. Getting my woman to pay attention that is. hahaha
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just had my first Gurkha, a Regent torpedo. Awesome smoke, if all Gurkhas are this good, I'm sold.
  • Options
    Don't count on it...in my opinion, the Regent is somewhat of a standout, and one of the few I like. I used to like Gurkhas in general until I started exploring a more diverse sampling of cigars, after that Gurkhas seemed boring and overpriced. I do like a couple though, the Regent and Centurion being the ones I can think of that I like.
  • Options
    Good news, because I have a few Centurians sitting at the house waiting on me right now. Are they similar to the Regents then?
  • Options
    This is one (the only one?) j0z3r and I disagree on. I don't care for the Regent at all. I do like the Centurian a lot, though. Obviously, I don't find them very similar.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I don't find them similar at all either...I think the regent is so-so. I love the centurians.

Tonight I reluctant dragged out a vedadero that I got from COTM. Turns out I was pretty prescient. Very blah, tight draw, not a great burn and an utter lack of flavor. I read a review that said it's creamy, but I didn't find that at all. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of mild anyway, but some of the milds I've had still have great flavor. I have another someone sent me, I won't be in a hurry to smoke it.
  • Options
    Just one for me today, I had a bit of an allergy attack early on and it left my nose stuffed and my throat scratchy, the medicine took a good couple hours to take hold and right the wrongs of allergies. The cigar was a good choice however, a La Aurora 100 Años belicoso. This one is billed as full bodied, I disagree with that though, to me it was medium-full and closer to medium than full for that matter. It was a good cigar though, had that characteristic Dominican tobacco flavor with a pre-light aroma of sweet, pure tobacco. This is a cigar I'd recommend.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Retired to the man-cave downstairs to unwind after a busy day. Had a Montecristo 2 which was compliments of a botl here, it was a very very enjoyable smoke for an hour plus and sipped some good bourbon ( rare breed barrell proof turkey) this is ultra smooth and needs no mixer. All in all , a good combo with the mc 2 .
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Had a Don Diego Aniversario. Today is my birthday and my wife had gotten me a box of them. For those who haven't tried it, it's Don Diego's 4oth anniversary cigar. I tried one a few weeks ago and loved it but couldn't find it at any of the tobacco stores. The only place that had it, for some reason, was ABC. So my wife went in and bought the last box. Nice and mild and smooth. The wrapper on this cigar is very dry which is interesting.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Happy b day Shawn ....
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
  • Options
    Yes, happy birthday. Sounds like you had a good one.

Nothing for me today. The weather was uncooperative, and looks to be all week.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Wow, 2 nights in a row. I'm one lucky SOB. Tonight I am enjoying a Hoyo De Monterrey Excaliber Robusto. What a great smoke and perfect burn. gave it good to the fiance' last night, so I get full control of my 3 day weekend! Life is getting better and better. I think tomorrow afernoon I will enjoy an Oliva V robusto. Jeff P.S. anyone here in the SF bay area?
  • Options
    urbino:
    This is one (the only one?) j0z3r and I disagree on. I don't care for the Regent at all. I do like the Centurian a lot, though. Obviously, I don't find them very similar.
    Well, it looks like there is a consensus among everyone that the Centurians are not like the Regents, but are good, so I'm happy about having a few at home waiting on me, lol.

I just got done with a Rocky Patel Signature. The first inch was a little harsh, but then it mellowed out alot. The flavor continued to develop the longer I smoked it, I was very happy overall with this stick. It also suprised me with is strengh, for such a mellow cigar it was stronger than what I thought it would be. I smoked it first thing this morning, so it hit me pretty hard, lol.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had a 5 Vegas Gold Robusto tonight. I got it in a free sampler. I have to say that the GOld is the one I like the most out of the 5 Vegas so far. However, this one even though it was creamy it was a little sour. Still a decent smoke though.
  • Options
    lvlawlvlaw Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Tonight I tried a Gurkha G5 Toro.  It was nicely constructed, but the draw was a little tight.  Nice burn.  I expected a stronger cigar, but this one was really pretty mild, especially by Gurkha standards.  The maduro wrapper gave it a bit of a sweet taste to go with a generally earthy flavor.  In the second third, a coffee flavor became evident, and in the last third, it had a nice spicy finish.  I was disappointed that it got hot a bit earlier than I hoped, with about 2 inches left.  Still, it was enjoyable.