Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Punch I got compliments of Joe. Never had a punch...not bad. It had a good, consistent taste, but I've never smoked anything that lacked any finish whatsoever like that, kinda odd.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You should try the Gran Puro, Luko.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

urbino:

The Gran Puro is indeed my favorite Punch

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a nice cigar tonight, a Don Pepin My Father #4 lancero. It was thicker than a standard lancero, seemed like a 40-42 ring gauge. Very good, though I was unable to get the full experience due to the wind and cold. Definitely will have this one again though.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I keep meaning too...can't put that off anymore. Have only heard good things.
  • Options
    Smoked a Sol cubano cuban cabinet Robusto for my third cigar tonight, and then finished the night of with my fuente opus x reserva d' chateau... holy god, by far the best smoke i have ever had, so consistent, phenomenal burn and draw... and the most amazing flavor throughout the cigar. A great way to end the night. By the way if anyone is ever in pittsburgh, or for the native pittsburghers... Cioppino's in the strip district is a phenomenal cigar bar... definately going to frequent there.
  • Options
    Sounds like a helluva night, smithy.
    Luko:
    urbino:
    Throw your addy my way, and I can supply you with a few to sample.

I just had another La Cuna bin 85. Damn, Sam, I love these things.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just got done with a CAO VR. Maybe I had a bad stick, but I found the first half to be very bland, then about halfway in a basic tabacco taste emerged but still wasn't very strong. I will try another one later on down the road, when my palate is a little more mature. I really want to like this cigar, it is a gorgeous stick, but as of right now I'm just not feeling it.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Just got done with a CAO VR. Maybe I had a bad stick, but I found the first half to be very bland, then about halfway in a basic tabacco taste emerged but still wasn't very strong. I will try another one later on down the road, when my palate is a little more mature. I really want to like this cigar, it is a gorgeous stick, but as of right now I'm just not feeling it.

I had that same problem. I had high hopes when i sparked one up but it was kind of a let down. Instead try a CAO MX2, Gurkha Doble Maduro or Camacho Triple Maduro. Much better and not so much of a let down.
  • Options
    I've got a MX2 and a Gurkha Doble Maduro waiting for me at home right now, lol, along with about 20 other maduros I have yet to try (thanks to the advice and suggestions of the members of this here forum). I can't wait, I think my first one is going to either be the Onyx Reserve, Gurkha Doble Maduro, or Cusano 18 Paired Maduro.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    GREAT choice with the onyx! I always have to have an Onyx on hand for when I want a good maduro. The MX2 is really good as well. I've never had the VR and probably won't be in any big hurry to try it. There are way too many good smokes out there.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    I've got a MX2 and a Gurkha Doble Maduro waiting for me at home right now, lol, along with about 20 other maduros I have yet to try (thanks to the advice and suggestions of the members of this here forum). I can't wait, I think my first one is going to either be the Onyx Reserve, Gurkha Doble Maduro, or Cusano 18 Paired Maduro.
    PuroFreak:
    GREAT choice with the onyx! I always have to have an Onyx on hand for when I want a good maduro. The MX2 is really good as well. I've never had the VR and probably won't be in any big hurry to try it. There are way too many good smokes out there.
    i agree. the onyx is great. its a good value as well. i think the onyx is better than the MX2
    ... IMO
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    i agree. the onyx is great. its a good value as well. i think the onyx is better than the MX2
    ... IMO
    Oh yea! I agree with on that one. The onyx is a much better smoke. A lot more smooth and savory flavor. The best smoke out for the price IMO.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    alienmisprint:
    PuroFreak:
    ... IMO
    Oh yea! I agree with on that one. The onyx is a much better smoke. A lot more smooth and savory flavor. The best smoke out for the price IMO.
    You guys have my mouth watering over here.....
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Last night I went to a cigar tasting at a cigar shop in Cocoa Beach. Armando with CAO was there and we were sampling the MX2 and the Gold. Both were very good - I LOVE the MX2. Looking at it you would think it would be a full-bodied smoke but it's actually more medium-bodied. I bought some of the Gold to put in my humidor. Great flavor on both of these.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Luko:
    urbino:

Very generous of you...but I have a B&M trip in my future today and I'm going to pick a few up. You like the puro, do you like the plain ole punch?
  • Options

Luko:
    urbino:
    Luko:
    urbino:

Very generous of you...but I have a B&M trip in my future today and I'm going to pick a few up. You like the puro, do you like the plain ole punch?

Luko the Gran Cru is a tasty Punch as well, you might want to check them out rather than a plain Punch

• Options
    gmill880:

Luko:
    urbino:
    Luko:
    urbino:

Luko the Gran Cru is a tasty Punch as well, you might want to check them out rather than a plain Punch

sure, they got cru as well as puro at my b&m...I'll grab a couple of each. Just curious if Urbs or anyone who likes the plain Punch?
  • Options
    gmill880:

Luko:
    urbino:
    Luko:
    urbino:

sure, they got cru as well as puro at my b&m...I'll grab a couple of each. Just curious if Urbs or anyone who likes the plain Punch?
  • Options
    It's been so long since I had a plain Punch, Luko, I couldn't tell you whether I liked it or not.

I finished last night with one of the honkin' big Gran Habano VL's I bought from ccom's aging room as part of the Boffo Birthday Order, on doody's suggestion. This is only the second one I've smoked. I don't remember much about the first one, to be honest. But this one was great. Very rich flavor with a strong and lingering cinnamon aftertaste.
  • Options
    Smoked a Java early. I wish I had bought the robustos instead of the coronas.
  • Options
    didyou have the maduro or latte and yes the robusto or toro are much betterthan the corona imo
  • Options
    Maduro, haven't tried the latte yet, although I do want to. I am also very interested in the Tabak Especial and the Isla Del Sol lines.
  • Options

I prefer the maduro

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Started off with a La Aroma de Cuba. Pretty not bad, had a real interesting flavor but not much body, nice and smooth. After lunch had a Ashton VSG, not sure of the size but looked like a lonsdale. Really good, some on and off spice, great flavor, wish they were cheaper though.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Had a La Herencia Cubana earlier...it was good & mellow and burned great. Then I smoked some ribs, drank some beer and now I am having a 5 Vegas Classic. I really love the classic.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    cheyman:
    Had a La Herencia Cubana earlier... Then I smoked some ribs, now I am having a 5 Vegas Classic. I really love the classic.
    ... hey, cheyman, two out of three ain't bad.
  • Options
    I just polished off a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, the 2nd of 3 that j0z3r sent me a while back. Very tasty. I can see why you like these so much, Joe.

A remark on the weather: it's not really cold until it has warmed up. I sat outside smoking all winter, much of it with temps in the 20s. Never felt especially cold. But now that the weather has warmed up, and I've spent the last couple of weeks comfortably smoking in a sweatshirt, sitting outside just now in a breezy 45*, I was cold.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Hey doods, I've got 2 thick rib eye steaks on the grill with my super secret rub, Israeli cous-cous on the stove and a big fat green salad going for Valentines Day. My fiance' and I are drinking our weight in an Old Vine Zin and I'm enjoying an Ashton Heritage Robusto on my deck. Life is good... Jeff
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    Hey doods, I've got 2 thick rib eye steaks on the grill with my super secret rub, Israeli cous-cous on the stove and a big fat green salad going for Valentines Day. My fiance' and I are drinking our weight in an Old Vine Zin and I'm enjoying an Ashton Heritage Robusto on my deck. Life is good... Jeff
    Jdorais, sounds like a perfect night, ...can it get any better ?