Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Trail Riding/Mountain Biking

I have had this urge to get into mountain biking and some trail riding. Just curious if any of you BOTL get out and ride trails and if so what kind of bike setup to do you use? Or, as a complete shot in the dark, if any of ya’ll have a bike you are looking to part ways with (in this case PM me so we can talk further).

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i used to be into it big time. i still have my bike but i dont want to part with it. i still ride now and then but not with anywhere near the intensity that i used to.

my bike is a diamondback zetec. i have rockshox judy c's on the front fork. its a hard tail bike so no rear shocks. (i needed traction in the snow living in lake effect snow land) i added bar ends and i have kevlar tires on it. i also switched out the standard pedals (that sucked) with some very wide BMX pedals. i like those way better than toeclips. i also switched out the stem for a titec stem and i got a seat with a shock in the post as well.

i may have to go out for a ride now on friday.

thanks!
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    Sounds like a pretty sweet setup...I may be buying one this weekend...so there goes the cigar budget.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    Sounds like a pretty sweet setup...I may be buying one this weekend...so there goes the cigar budget.
    this is not a good time of year to buy a bike. the best time to buy it? late January. many places are dying to sell ff the remaining bikes. you can usually get a deal then.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    In response to what kuzi mentioned, consider trying a bike out in a shop to get a feel for it, then check online to see what kind of pricing you can get, say through Amazon, or eBay. A lot of vendors offer free shipping as well. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    thanks for the tips fellas. I will prolly check out some of the bikes I have been looking at online in a couple stores this weekend. Might be hard since a ton of the shops around me are dealing with a ton of MS 150 riders this weekend. Hopefully I can find a good deal then get my fat a$$ back in to shape and enjoy doing it!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Biking is another one of my passions. My mountain bike is a Specialized Rockhopper Comp. I have a Rockshock Tora fork, dual disk brakes, Shimano XTR derailers, SPD clipless pedals. I recommend you buy from a LBS. Fit is the most important thing when buying a bike and your LBS will have many to try. Also most shops offer free tuneups with a bike purchase which come in handy especially if you need light truing. Look at the 2009 models for a good discount. Good luck.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I got a Huffy ........... **** .....................LOL
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have a specialized rockhopper full suspension. I grew up riding forever over in california. Idyllwild area, and then later in san diego, and thousand oaks. I absolutely loved that and surfing. Did them all the time. Theeeeen I moved to corpus christi tx, where the land is actually flatter than most lakes, and all the land is private..lol...not so conducive to mountain biking. Hey txjayhawk, you should keep an eye out on www.propertyroom.com It's a police auction website, where they auction off bikes that were stolen, but they can't find the owners for. It's actually a pretty good place to find a decent bike, but sometimes you have to be patient. they have qa specialized xc comp right now that looks pretty sweet. Hope you get into it, and really enjoy it.
  • Options
    thanks for all the tips fellas! I have quite an addictive personality so I am sure I will get into it pretty deep (started out with a 100ct cheapo humi...built a cabinet, got one small tattoo...went and got 3 more big ones) Quick question, do you guys use the clip in's?
  • Options
    and another question...what are ya'lls thoughts on hybrid bikes? Since the hardest terrain I will get into is probably a a gravel trail, and there is a ton of pavement around here I was thinking about checking out some of the hybrid bikes. Thoughts?
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hey, jay. I haven't done any mountain biking in a long, long time, but I'm an avid road cyclist.

First, leonard is dead on about getting a proper bike fit. It's the difference between loving to ride your bike, or blowing out your knees and/or back. This being your first bike, I'd definitely buy local. You can save a lot of money buying online, but you really have to know your fit to buy that way. Consider the extra cost of buying local the first time (at least) as training cost. Plus, it starts you building a good relationship with your mechanic, which you're going to need, especially on a mtn bike.

If you're talking about just dirt and gravel trails, plus pavement, I'd go with a cyclocross bike. It'll be built better than a typical hybrid (IME, most "hybrid" bikes are aimed at people who just want to tool around the neighborhood a few times a year). A cyclocross gives you a road-sized frame and wheels, mtn bike gearing, drop bars, cantilever brakes so you can use wider tires, and excellent sturdiness without the bulk and weight of a full-blown mtn bike. There are lots of good cyclocross bikes nowadays. I've got a Bianchi Volpe that I love.

Whatever you get, have fun!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Clip in's are the only way to go. 30% more power, especially up hills. I prefer SPD because you can adjust the tension. Me personally wouldn't get a hybrid type bike. You start out on dirt roads but if the bug gets you, you will seek out more challenging trails and a hybrid bike wont last a week on the trails I ride.
  • Options
    Sounds good fellas...going to try and check out some places after work today. Thanks again for all the info.
  • Options
    urbino:
    without the bulk and weight of a full-blown mtn bike.
    ... hmmm. my mountian bike is lighter than many road bikes ive seen. i guess its also relative to what you are willing to spend.
  • Options
    24footjet24footjet Posts: 132
    Jayhawk. If you weren't so far away, you could buy my bike. Haven't ridden in over 2 years. I have a Jamis Dakar 3.0 XLT. You can drive up and buy it if you want though... 21" frame it should handle a big guy like you.
  • Options
    24footjet:
    Jayhawk. If you weren't so far away, you could buy my bike. Haven't ridden in over 2 years. I have a Jamis Dakar 3.0 XLT. You can drive up and buy it if you want though... 21" frame it should handle a big guy like you.
    I appreciate the offer, but I bit the bullet and got a bike 2 days ago. I saw it when I was at the shop with my girl friend, for some reason I was immediately drawn to it. IT had everything I was looking for; disc brakes, front suspension, trail/road capable tires, sturdy frame, and on top of all of that I got it for $320! here is a a link to the bike: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1079323_-1___ . For me, it is the perfect entry level bike that is loaded with possibilities as far as upgrades go. I can wait to get back on the trails tomorrow!!!! I may start carrying a back pack and load up a few sticks in my travel humi for a break during my rides!
  • Options
    Good for you! It's fun when you find one that just immediately speaks to you like that. Now go have fun!
  • Options
    Went for my first ride yesterday on some light trails...bike worked like a charm. Just had to kinda tweek a few things here and there to make it just right but I figured that would be the case on the first ride. I have a baaaaaad feeling I will be spending a ton of money on this new hobby...
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    This hobbby will cost u so much more then cigars real quick! lol...I ride a mongoose too, i have to say outa all the bikes i ever owned, this bike is one of the best, kinda heavy for uphills, but dam its so sturdy i did a 9 foot drop( i am 6 foot, 250 pounds and bike is about 20-40 pounds), and the wheels didnt pop, or bend, and frame stood its ground! lol...hurt my legs though lol...only advice I can offer, which will make riding twice as easy, is buy clip in pedals....so instead of pushing down with one leg then the other, u will push down with one leg, and push down with the other while the leg thats coming up is pulling on the pedal making it a lot easier! im going this weekend riding hopefully! Anyone reading this live in Sacramento area?
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    Went for my first ride yesterday on some light trails...bike worked like a charm. Just had to kinda tweek a few things here and there to make it just right but I figured that would be the case on the first ride. I have a baaaaaad feeling I will be spending a ton of money on this new hobby...
    Yeah, it can flat burn through some cash. Did you get all the necessary accessories with your bike? Replacement tube(s), pump (or CO2 inflator), tire levers, bike multi-tool, small light, etc.?

You only have to get caught out without that stuff once to realize it ought to come packaged with the bike!

(As for pedals, I like Speedplay's Frogs.)
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    This hobbby will cost u so much more then cigars real quick! lol...I ride a mongoose too, i have to say outa all the bikes i ever owned, this bike is one of the best, kinda heavy for uphills, but dam its so sturdy i did a 9 foot drop( i am 6 foot, 250 pounds and bike is about 20-40 pounds), and the wheels didnt pop, or bend, and frame stood its ground! lol...hurt my legs though lol...only advice I can offer, which will make riding twice as easy, is buy clip in pedals....so instead of pushing down with one leg then the other, u will push down with one leg, and push down with the other while the leg thats coming up is pulling on the pedal making it a lot easier! im going this weekend riding hopefully! Anyone reading this live in Sacramento area?
    those are on my wish list...pretty much already have them picked out. What kind of Mongoose do you have?
  • Options
    urbino:
    txjayhawk:
    Yeah, it can flat burn through some cash. Did you get all the necessary accessories with your bike? Replacement tube(s), pump (or CO2 inflator), tire levers, bike multi-tool, small light, etc.?

You only have to get caught out without that stuff once to realize it ought to come packaged with the bike!

I need to get a a couple more things. But I have the multi tool, and air pump. Will probably get the replacement tube when I am down there today. I was riding yesterday on some moderate trails and my left crank set (am I saying that rite??) wasnt put on correctly or something and it kinda wiggled its self out. I tried tightening it but it didnt work, so it got damaged and scuffed up my frame. Hopefully they will replace it or I will be steaming out of my ears...may even knock a bike over on my way out.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    urbino:
    txjayhawk:

I need to get a a couple more things. But I have the multi tool, and air pump. Will probably get the replacement tube when I am down there today. I was riding yesterday on some moderate trails and my left crank set (am I saying that rite??)
    It sounds like you're talking about the arm the pedal attaches to, in which case that's called a crank arm. "Crank set" usually means both arms plus the chain ring assembly and bottom bracket. One other cool-kid cyclist lingo tip: call the left side the "non-drive side" and the right the "drive side."
    txjayhawk:
    I tried tightening it but it didnt work, so it got damaged and scuffed up my frame. Hopefully they will replace it or I will be steaming out of my ears...may even knock a bike over on my way out.
    Yikes. I dunno if they'll replace it, but it's best to get them to mount it correctly, regardless. Got my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Between reading this thread and talking with Leonard, my want for a mountain bike is growing by the hour. I've got a couple in mind that I like component-wise, now I need to get down to a shop and see how they feel. Damn you guys, I probably could have held the urge at bay for another couple months, but now my impulse control centers are going crazy. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    join the fun my friend...mountain biking is one of the best work outs i do and i love hitting the trails as much as possible!
  • Options
    urbino:
    txjayhawk:
    urbino:
    txjayhawk:

I need to get a a couple more things. But I have the multi tool, and air pump. Will probably get the replacement tube when I am down there today. I was riding yesterday on some moderate trails and my left crank set (am I saying that rite??)
    It sounds like you're talking about the arm the pedal attaches to, in which case that's called a crank arm. "Crank set" usually means both arms plus the chain ring assembly and bottom bracket. One other cool-kid cyclist lingo tip: call the left side the "non-drive side" and the right the "drive side."
    txjayhawk:
    I tried tightening it but it didnt work, so it got damaged and scuffed up my frame. Hopefully they will replace it or I will be steaming out of my ears...may even knock a bike over on my way out.
    Yikes. I dunno if they'll replace it, but it's best to get them to mount it correctly, regardless. Got my fingers crossed.
    Well, heres the update, left crank arm is F'ed. They will replace it but said I should look in to getting a new bottom bracket (ISIS or octalink) and crank set...either I am just to damn powerful and that bottom bracket couldnt handle it, I am too fat (275lb) or the kid who put my bike together didnt put it on correctly...I am leaning towards its that kids fault.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Between reading this thread and talking with Leonard, my want for a mountain bike is growing by the hour. I've got a couple in mind that I like component-wise, now I need to get down to a shop and see how they feel. Damn you guys, I probably could have held the urge at bay for another couple months, but now my impulse control centers are going crazy. Big Smile [:D]
    do it!!!!!!! who needs $1,000 just laying in a savings account...
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    Well, heres the update, left crank arm is F'ed. They will replace it but said I should look in to getting a new bottom bracket (ISIS or octalink) and crank set...either I am just to damn powerful and that bottom bracket couldnt handle it, I am too fat (275lb) or the kid who put my bike together didnt put it on correctly...I am leaning towards its that kids fault.
    Damn. That's like buying a brand new car and having to turn right around and put it in the shop. Frustrating! I'd lean toward it being the kid's fault, too. Any reputable brand of crankset will take a LOT of torque. Generating torque is what they're for, after all.
  • Options
    urbino:
    txjayhawk:
    Damn. That's like buying a brand new car and having to turn right around and put it in the shop. Frustrating! I'd lean toward it being the kid's fault, too. Any reputable brand of crankset will take a LOT of torque. Generating torque is what they're for, after all.
    That's what I am thinking...but I am probably going to go with a set of shimano cranks with an external bearing BB...they have been getting pretty good reviews and wont kill my wallet.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    j0z3r:
    do it!!!!!!! who needs $1,000 just laying in a savings account...
    Oh it's only a matter of time now. I've got my eye on a 29er from Gary Fisher and a standard from Trek, gotta see which one feels better to me...I'm really hoping the Fisher will feel better, I like what I hear about 29ers.