Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Trail Riding/Mountain Biking

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hard to go wrong with either one of those brands.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    That's what I am thinking...but I am probably going to go with a set of shimano cranks with an external bearing BB...they have been getting pretty good reviews and wont kill my wallet.
    Shimano makes good components. That ought to get you fixed right up.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Hard to go wrong with either one of those brands.
    That seems to be the consensus. I've researched the components on both bikes, and from the reviews and forum posts I've read they both have good component sets on them.
  • Options
    These are the two bikes I'm kinda stuck on right now, figured I'd post up a couple links and see what you guys think.

Trek 6700 DISC

Gary Fisher X-Caliber
  • Options
    Those are 2 sweet rides, Joe. Remarkably similar, too, other than the wheel size. Is that the main deciding point for ya?
  • Options
    Well I'd love to have a 29er, but really the main deciding point is going to be how they feel. If I don't feel right on a 29er then that will make more of a difference to me. These bikes aren't cheap, so I want to make damn sure that whatever I buy is one I will want to ride once the novelty wears off.
  • Options
    Good plan. Keep in mind, though, that either one of them will feel a lot different once it's setup for you.
  • Options
    I'm still wrapping my brain around that one. If you had told me two weeks ago that seat angle and position could make a huge difference I'd have thought you were nuts, but now it's finally getting through that those seemingly minor things are actually pretty important. I suppose it's like anything else though, if you never care to know something chances are you won't know it. This is exciting though, can't wait to go check out some bikes and do some test riding.
  • Options
    Yeah, it surprised me how much difference it made. Mine still aren't quite right. My left leg is a little longer than the other, and that foot is a bit crooked. I need to get my cleats shimmed and adjusted accordingly. Even a basic fit makes a big difference, though, if the person doing it knows what they're doing.

I'll enjoy your excitement vicariously. (Easy, fellas.)
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    j0z3r:
    txjayhawk:
    j0z3r:
    Between reading this thread and talking with Leonard, my want for a mountain bike is growing by the hour. I've got a couple in mind that I like component-wise, now I need to get down to a shop and see how they feel. Damn you guys, I probably could have held the urge at bay for another couple months, but now my impulse control centers are going crazy. Big Smile [:D]
    do it!!!!!!! who needs $1,000 just laying in a savings account...
    Oh it's only a matter of time now. I've got my eye on a 29er from Gary Fisher and a standard from Trek, gotta see which one feels better to me...I'm really hoping the Fisher will feel better, I like what I hear about 29ers.
    Good buddy and former roommate of mine has a Gary Fisher 29er...loves it and its a very tuff bike! He has beat the hell out of it for a few years is its still rolling strong.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I'm still wrapping my brain around that one. If you had told me two weeks ago that seat angle and position could make a huge difference I'd have thought you were nuts, but now it's finally getting through that those seemingly minor things are actually pretty important. I suppose it's like anything else though, if you never care to know something chances are you won't know it. This is exciting though, can't wait to go check out some bikes and do some test riding.
    Where in SoCal are you? If you are looking for a good shop I cant recommend Performance Bike enough. Those guys are awesome. The one I go to is near down town (I am out in the burbs) and I willingly drive down there knowing I will be in stand still traffic on my way home just because of how well thsoe guys work with you. Plus their little buyers club is freaking sweet....see if there is one near you. Performancebike.com
  • Options
    I buy from them online a good bit. Never had a problem.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't ride... But God bless you guys for giving me Trail Mix.... Luv ya
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    j0z3r:
    Where in SoCal are you? If you are looking for a good shop I cant recommend Performance Bike enough. Those guys are awesome. The one I go to is near down town (I am out in the burbs) and I willingly drive down there knowing I will be in stand still traffic on my way home just because of how well thsoe guys work with you. Plus their little buyers club is freaking sweet....see if there is one near you. Performancebike.com
    I'm in Riverside county. There are several shops semi-close that have what I'm looking for. Even one very close, though I doubt they've got much selection given the size of my city, not exactly a dense, metropolitan area here.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    txjayhawk:
    j0z3r:
    I'm in Riverside county. There are several shops semi-close that have what I'm looking for. Even one very close, though I doubt they've got much selection given the size of my city, not exactly a dense, metropolitan area here.
    If you can try out Performance bike. Of all the shops and stuff around me in Houston that I went to, those guys had the best selection and they were willing to do anything to answer any questions (no matter how stupid they were). The day me and my girl friend went in there we bought 2 bikes...mainly because of how great their people are.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I don't ride... But God bless you guys for giving me Trail Mix.... Luv ya
    And thank you for giving us Miller Lite.
  • Options
    Did some test riding today, I really, really like the feel of the Fisher 29er in a 19" frame, test rode the GF Cobia and everything about that bike felt right except the brakes because they needed a bit of adjusting, sweet ride though. Also tried a Cannondale F-5 standard, I liked it ok but it didn't feel as good to me as the Fisher. I want to do some more test riding and hopefully test out a Fisher X-Caliber, but I'm getting close here.
  • Options
    What about the Trek? Did they not have it?

Having a Fisher 29er is kinda like having an Edison light bulb -- the man invented it. But I guess that's sorta true of any Fisher mtb.
  • Options
    They didn't have the Trek I was looking at, actually I didn't see any Trek hardtails there, just full suspension models and a few rigid models. There are a couple more shops I plan in checking out this week, so hopefully they'll have some other models. I gotta tell ya though, I'm really loving the Fisher 29er, I was just about sold as soon as I rode it. More testing will give me a better idea of where I'm at though.
  • Options
    I found my bike...well, one very much like it, I wanted the Fisher X-Cal and all I could find was the Paragon, which is the next model up. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it was either that or wait until October for more to be produced. The bike comes with clipless pedals so I just said the hell with it and got shoes to go along with it, and boy are they fun, I fell over three times today trying to get a feel for them...so I guess until I get used to them, I'll have to be content with the fact that I fall good Big Smile [:D].
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I found my bike...well, one very much like it, I wanted the Fisher X-Cal and all I could find was the Paragon, which is the next model up. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it was either that or wait until October for more to be produced. The bike comes with clipless pedals so I just said the hell with it and got shoes to go along with it, and boy are they fun, I fell over three times today trying to get a feel for them...so I guess until I get used to them, I'll have to be content with the fact that I fall good Big Smile [:D].
    Nice...I just got my bike back from the shop (had them put on new shimano dior LX external bearing crank set/forte campus pedals). What kind of shoes did you go with? I got http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1085741_-1_1516500_1512506_400098 . They are super comfy and give me enough clearance to clip in and out very easy. Hope you enjoy the rides man!!!!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Sweet! Now we have to get a So Cal mt bike / herf together.
  • Options
    txjayhawk:
    j0z3r:
    Nice...I just got my bike back from the shop (had them put on new shimano dior LX external bearing crank set/forte campus pedals). What kind of shoes did you go with? I got http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1085741_-1_1516500_1512506_400098 . They are super comfy and give me enough clearance to clip in and out very easy. Hope you enjoy the rides man!!!!
    That really sucks that you had to fix something so soon after buying your bike. I also got Shimano shoes, went with these shoes Shimano M086 they feel really good to me, clipping in and out is becoming easier the more I do it...only had the shoes for 2 days now, but I'm getting better at it.

I hit the trails with Leonard today, and pretty much got what I expected, that was worn right the f*ck out. Had a blast though and I can't wait to do it again.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Cool! Good for you, man. Hope you have a blast on it. And, yeah, clipless pedals do provide a lot of falling down practice for a while. I rolled up to a traffic light one time and went to clip out. One of the screws holding my cleat in had come loose, though, so when I twisted my foot, the cleat just twisted. Fell right the hell over.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    Cool! Good for you, man. Hope you have a blast on it. And, yeah, clipless pedals do provide a lot of falling down practice for a while. I rolled up to a traffic light one time and went to clip out. One of the screws holding my cleat in had come loose, though, so when I twisted my foot, the cleat just twisted. Fell right the hell over.
    +about 20
  • Options
    letsgowithbob:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    +about 20
    Haha ya...i know its going to happen...just a matter of time...so far I have been lucky though...I am a little scared to clip in on a little more advanced trail...oh well, I guess it is me or the tree!!!
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    Thanks urbs. Yeah, I did something similar only it wasn't a cleat malfunction...I was coming up to a stop sign and knew I had to clip out before stopping, that was no problem, but when the light changed I guess I was in too hard a gear and couldn't get going fast enough to keep from falling over, so I fell over right in the crosswalk. Tons of fun though, the falls are a small price to pay.
  • Options
    Ha! Yeah, that's a classic mistake. It's actually one of the ways people recommend for securing your bike. Leave it in the biggest ring and the smallest cog. Even if somebody breaks your lock loose, they ain't gonna ride away very fast.
  • Options
    letsgowithbob:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    +about 20
    Heh. Me, too. That was just the only one that was in public. I practiced around the apartment complex for a while before I hit the streets.
  • Options
    urbino:
    letsgowithbob:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    +about 20
    Heh. Me, too. That was just the only one that was in public. I practiced around the apartment complex for a while before I hit the streets.
    Weeeeelll... on the tail end of a 10 mile ride yesterday, it happend. I busted my a$$ at a dang stop light. Wow, I couldnt have felt more like a ra-tard. wrist is killn me now but my pride hurts more...haha oh well!