Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Good Muslim

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been thinking about this recently, since the post about the Mosque near the 9/11 site. After 9/11 I took the time to read the Koran, and, from my decidedly Christian viewpoint, I thought: "If God wants to call someone to him through this document, He can." I followed this later with reading Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet, who decidedly was a devout and divinely inspired Muslim, who famously said: "I've been to the Synagogue, the Cathedral, and the Mosque, I saw One Altar." So, I figured the "good" muslims are out there, just afraid, as were the "good" Christians in Germany during the rise of Hitler. There is, however, an undeniable sickness in Islam today. I recently received what I shall paraphrase below, some thoughts adapted from Dr. Peter Hammond's book: Slavery Terrorism and Islam. Apparently there is a kind of critical mass effect when Muslims settle into a new area. At under 2%, they will be regarded as a peace-loving minority, not a threat, as is seen in the U.S., Australia, Canada, China, etc. At 2 - 5 % the begin to proselytize, often recruiting from the jails and street gangs, as in Denmark, Germany, UK, Spain. After 5% they begin to exercise an inordinate influence, pushing for halal (food laws) and pushing for this in supermarket chains etc., to include threats to the owners. After 10% open lawlessness begins, with car burnings and crime such as is being seen in Paris and Amsterdam, and non-muslim action resulting in uprisings and threats. After 20% nations can expect hair-trigger rioting, jihad, killings, burning of Christian churches and Jewish synagogues. After 40%, massacres, militia warfare, as seen in Bosnia, Chad, and Lebanon. Larger Muslim populations routinely engage in ethnic cleansing, genocide, etc. See the recent history of countries such as indonesia, Iran, Syria, Sudan, etc. The follow quote from Leon Uris "The Haj" describes 100% populations: 'Before I was nine, I haed learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother, me and my brother against my father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; the tribe against the world, and all of us against the infidel." A few years ago, I read a book by Alan Bloom titled: The Closing of the American Mind. Bloom contends that in is through tolerance that our culture will fall. At first, I thought "no way", after all, we need to be tolerant, don't we? Well, I'm starting to wonder. I'm thinking that if we remain tolerant of the intolerant, the world will soon become intolerable. Like the old maxim: All that is needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. Food for thought, anyone see differently, or a productive way out of this mess? Thanks for listening, y'all, just had to get this out there.
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    No one has responded to this. I will in limited context. I did not research the statistics you provide. However, I would point out that UAR, with a population that is around 96% muslim goes so far as to allow the purchase and consumption of alcohol, and aside from that westerners are often recruited for certain positions there.

Do not misunderstand me. I have actually done, while not exhaustive, considerable investigation regarding the Muslim faith. I personally believe that, counter to what someone may tell you, Islam is a religion based on violence and, even more so, intolerance.

That does leave a conundrum for the person who subscribes to modern Christian beliefs, in that they generally believe that "to each their own" as far as the freedom to do as they please religiously.. Quite honestly, as a person who values freedom above everything else, I would not restrict anyone's freedom to believe and speak as they please. In fact the only time I would ever abridge someone's freedom is when it presents clear danger. I also believe it is every persons right and duty to defend themselves and theirs against all dangers. So, my personal response is to allow folks to say whatever they would like. Meanwhile I stand ready to repel anyone who wishes to infringe upon my freedoms. Whats more, I stand ready to do so with extreme violence of action so that anyone else with similar ideals would think twice in the future. I truly hope my life is a most peaceful one, where I can do as I please and everyone else may do the same. But, in the same way kindness should not be mistaken for weakness, do not mistake tolerance for submission.
    BR> Bottom line, I love freedom, in all its guises. Personally I am fine with whatever someone does until it infringes. At that point, the gloves are off. Prepare for disproportionate and overwhelming response to those who would deny me my basic rights as a human being. And that has nothing to do with religion, but rather as rights bestowed by our creator on every human being.

Circling back around to your original post, I would contend that intolerance is a far greater danger than tolerance. When a group becomes intolerant they close down a part of their learning. I am not saying embrace everything. Quite the contrary, place strict scrutiny on everything. The group, however big or small, that closes itself off is destined to be overtaken. If anyone disagrees I would propose they study Chinese and Japanese history.

This last paragraph is strictly my opinions, but I would stand behind it. I believe that things are not nearly as black and white as most on either side of almost any argument would have us believe. In this instance, I do not accept that the choice is either not to allow anything or to allow everything. Intelligent people evaluate. One thing that saddens me on a daily basis is how weak willed people are. However, it is different than flip-flopping. Rather, I find people who have no opinion to be the most weak-willed. They latch onto whatever is presented and continue to do so no matter what future inputs might influence them. I believe a freedom-loving human being ought to gather the widest array as possible of inputs and weigh the collective body.

Forgive the overly long response. It is something that strikes a chord with me. I somehow hope that maybe others who would not have engaged this thread before, do so now, as it benefits us all.

This is a total sidebar, but as a future reference, dividing your post into paragraphs helps immensely in its readabliity
  • Options
    thanks for the response, your sentiments echo mine nearly exactly. This came to me via E-Mail, I am not familiar with the Writers that were referenced, except my own reference to Alan Bloom. It just disturbed me. What is happening now in the muslim world seems to me contrary to my (limited) studies on the subject. Also, I would love to break this up into paragraphs, but, for some reason when I've tried that in the past the computer posts what I'm writing wherever I am at the moment. My bad, no doubt, as I haven't taken the time to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    great discussion. Not looking to get into it at the moment but it's great to see people actually taking their time to research different religions. This opens your mind to other views and beliefs, even if, at some point, they become inherently "wrong" in their ways. Again, not all muslims are bad people, but there are enough nut cases out there that ruin it for the decent people. That can be said for a lot of religions. Personally, none are for me. I'm not saying religion doesn't serve a purpose or have a place in this world. It just doesn't have a place in my world.

As far as breaking up your paragraphs in posts, it's this without the spaces. Put two of them together and you'll get a space between paragraphs.
  • Options
    EDIT: this is a really weird system setup. it seems whatever way I place the symbols and whatever I have between them to try to explain a line break just disappears. Try this, backwards >RB
    Use one of these to make a line break. Sorry for the weird way of explaining it, but even with extra spaces it still puts a break in, so I had to write it out. Use two of them together for a paragraph ;) Someday we might get real forum software.

I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say what is happening now in the Muslim world seems contrary to your studies on the subject. Would you mind explaining this a little further? Thanks.
  • Options
    Rob, while there may truly be "good" Muslims as there are "good" of any type of people the dilemma I run into is the utter lack of opposition to the "radicals" by the "good". In my opinion, no matter how "good" someone's principles are, if they witness atrocities and implicitly give their approval with silence, they are guilty as well. It goes both ways. If one is silent when one group is attacked, yet cries fowl when they themselves are, it is a hard sell. Forget the emotions and personal investment for a moment. If there are two people, A and B and a third party C and every time A attacks B C is silent, but if B does anything towards A, C is crying out about wrongdoings for the world to hear, who's side is C on? Now that I just typed that, I imagine the same things could be said about a lot of "Americans," especially many of those on the national stage.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The absolutely most intolerant societies that exist today are Muslim. They allow slavery, torture, and degradation as a way of life. If Jihad comes to your street, what will you do??
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    You must be wrong Mr. gypsy cause Obama says muslims are great and we should kiss their feet....he wouldn't lie about anything to do with muslim stuff would he?
  • Options
    wwestern:
    You must be wrong Mr. gypsy cause Obama says muslims are great and we should kiss their feet....he wouldn't lie about anything to do with muslim stuff would he?
    Really? Where? If you are referring to his statement about the mosque in NYC, then I believe you are incorrect. He said they have a right to do so. I, as someone who believes in individual rights, including property rights, all the time, not just when I am in favor of the cause. I think it is incredibly insensitive and is going to lead to a lot of problems, but it is still their right to do so. I am also no fan of President Obama, but to look to bash him on an unrelated issue doesn't really add anything useful to the discussion and merely distracts it.

Like it or not, Muslims enjoy the same rights as any other citizen and are free to practice their religion. President Obama has sworn to uphold the constitution that affirms these rights. What would you have him say?
  • Options
    You think the fact that we have a president that at a minimum has heard alot of muslim propaganda in his time is not tied to this? An attack on American soil happened and we're going to let them build a monument to it? (before you dispute this look up the original name they wanted for the mosque and it's meaning) What I would have him say is "Who's building the trophy of slain Americans so I know who's ass to kick!" Appearently an accident in the gulf is worth an ass kicking.....so surely this attrocity merrits one? Maybe he'll find the time to reconsider his backing of this inbetween groveling to the different nations of the world. Just my two cents on why dead Americans are being disrespected. I'm all for individual rights but when you have a group of people who engage in mass murder you lose certain rights. But it's ok just keep selling yourself on tolerence of terrorist hopefully it works out. Me personally I'll be the "hate monger" who keeps his distance from people who practice such a religion.
  • Options
    Fair enough, no rational dialoge. Not much can be disputed when your position is based on personal speculation.

Whether it disgusts you, me or anyone else, that doesn't change people's rights, your idea that you should be able to decide who should get what rights (kind of goes against the inalienable part) not withstanding.

Certainly, keep your distance. I find Muslims despicable for the reasons I have already laid out. It doesn't change the fact that they have rights.

What is the name of the mosque, as I cannot find it. I imagine it is probably something inflamatory. OK. I probably will detest it. Doesn't change their right to freedom of speech, the same way I can walk around on a public street in the U.S. with a Kafir on my shirt. Bad things might happen. Doesn't change the fact that it is my right to do so.

You are obviously passionate about your feelings on this topic. That is nothing to be ashamed of. Historically passionate feelings have been used to take rights away from the citizenry. I cannot support the taking away of individual rights. You are mistaking my advocating for rights to supporting Islam, which I believe I have already made my position on clear.
  • Options
    No sir I don't believe you're supporting Islam I just believe when you have a group who's beliefs call for the destruction of America maybe it's time to pull in the reigns. How about the rights of others to be free from the fear of these people? By your logic the gang divisions in law enforcement have no merrit or right to do what they do? Keeping people safe from violent groups IMO falls under a protection catagory and not oppresion. Also allowing this mosque to be built will send one hell of a weak message. Rational to you or not makes no difference, and at this point I think it seems to be common knowledge not speculation when you have former muslims coming out to speak about how things really are. Just in case the speculation claim is for my comment about obama http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright sounds a little muslimish to me...
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    wanted to chime in on this, but figured i didnt want part of the debate. I too, because of patriotic, emotions thank the mosque being but there is extreme bad taste. but One2gofst is right, telling them they cant put it there is against there rights. But the muslims putting it there can be viewed as instigation. you wouldnt put a **** memorial next to a jewish place of worship! and any good muslim that would want to try to reverse the damage, to the mental picture the world paints there religion in,would think about another place for the mosque. freedom or not, building the mosque anywhere near ground zero is in bad taste.
  • Options
    Keeping people safe is an important function. However, and I have quoted it before on this forum, one of my very favorite quotes is from Benjamin Franklin and states," Those who would trade liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither."

No matter how much anyone may hate the idea of a mosque at ground zero, they are not infrigning on the rights of anyone else. Commiting violence is different, as it does infringe upon the rights of others. Gang units are a non-sequiter again being used to distract from the main discussion. Gang units do not tell gang member what they can say, nor do they tell a gang leader he can't buy a house in a certain neighborhood.

Keeping people safe is a noble goal. However, one would be hard pressed to successfully make the argument that the very act of erecting a building is subjecting people to unreasonable danger. Any argument that can be made on restricting freedoms to ensure safety can be taken to the extreme. We'd all be safer if we were restricted to our homes all day and never left. Rediculous? yes, but the idea that the govt. has any more right to restrict one's freedom of speech than it does to restrict one's freedom of movement is just as rediculous. What happens when you or I or anyone else is in the minority with a viewpoint that the majority find repugnant? is it OK to restrict our rights at that point.

It is unfortunate when people cannot differentiate their emotions from their rational thinking. More rights have been trampled due to this than anything else. I do find some amusement in the irony of this discussion on a cigar site where people constantly complain about restrictions on their liberties. But then again, that is a liberty you approve of.
  • Options
    Just as an aside and in the interest of full disclosure, there is currently a mosque, which has been there since 1970, just 2 blocks up and one block over from the site of the new one, which is 3 blocks from ground zero ;)
  • Options
    Yeah you're right it's irrational to attempt to stifle mass murderers, and an emotional issue to hold on to those silly memories of what happened on 9-11.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    At what point did sedition become a religion?? We swallow a camel to help Muslims and strain at a gnat to keep Christianity out of every facet of public life but we should protect mass murderers because they claim they are a religion.
  • Options
    Yes, every Muslim is a mass murderer.The level of intellectual scrutiny in this thread is truly staggering

Even if every muslim supported murder, that does not make them murderers. To be a murderer means to commit murder. While we may have a religion that encourages violence, that may make those who adhere to that religion a lot of things, but murderers isn't one unless they commit murder.
  • Options
    This is why I pray for america every single night. Political correctness is a cancer on our society. Letting those who wish americans harm run wild in the name of PC, that should work out great. Hindering the operations of those who want the destruction of america is oppresive? So yeah it's my "intellectual scrutiny" that's in question because I want to protect americans and the american way of life....makes sense.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    One2gofst:
    Yes, every Muslim is a mass murderer.The level of intellectual scrutiny in this thread is truly staggering

Even if every muslim supported murder, that does not make them murderers. To be a murderer means to commit murder. While we may have a religion that encourages violence, that may make those who adhere to that religion a lot of things, but murderers isn't one unless they commit murder.
    No, every muslim is mot a murderer; but the vast majority (99.99%) who sit by and say nothing while the 5-10% (or whatever percentage of them that actually DO murder innocents) are complicent in thier silence. There are a very small few muslims (you can probably count them all on one, maybe two hands) that are vocally against the radicals, but the rest are not. Oh, and a small percentage of a group that numbers in the billions is a big-ass group --- of murderers. If more stood up and spoke out against the violence of the few (again, speaking a percentage here), then maybe, just maybe I'd be able to have a bit of understanding towards them. But, as it stands I say *** islam, *** muhammed, *** allah (who I believe muhammed tricked them into worshipping satan and named him allah) and *** any muslim reading this who sits in silence while others murder innocents in the name of a violent "religeon". I don't want to understand islam, or muslims, I want all the people who died in the twin towers back. But, since I can't have that I don't think building a monument to thier murders for the murderers by the murderers (and I'm pointing at ALL of the muslims minus the vocal handful) something that should be done. And if you don't like this particular rant, *** you too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:

though you may be right about the actual individuals that are committing the act of murder verse those who dont (not making EVERY muslim a murderer), the muslim community as a unit did not stand up and condemn the murders. many Islamic nations were dancing in the streets on 9-11-01

true they may not actually be murderers but many muslims support a culture that inspires and rewards murder of those who simply do not agree with their point of view, aka "infidels"
    does that make them any better than murders?
    i dont know.
    i cant answer that.
    all i know is that it isnt right.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    One2gofst:

though you may be right about the actual individuals that are committing the act of murder verse those who dont (not making EVERY muslim a murderer), the muslim community as a unit did not stand up and condemn the murders. many Islamic nations were dancing in the streets on 9-11-01

true they may not actually be murderers but many muslims support a culture that inspires and rewards murder of those who simply do not agree with their point of view, aka "infidels"
    does that make them any better than murders?
    i dont know.
    i cant answer that.
    all i know is that it isnt right.
    I'm not going to get into this one as far as my personal beliefs in this matter. I just wanted to say to One2gofst that you have to remember when making arguements here, that some of these guy's even said that ALL Palestinians were terrorist, and killers. Even the women and babies !

After that I realized that there is some deep seated hate in some BOTL here and some intellectual black holes here as well. For some people the hate just clouds everything else out.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    cabinetmaker:
    One2gofst:

No, every muslim is mot a murderer; but the vast majority (99.99%) who sit by and say nothing while the 5-10% (or whatever percentage of them that actually DO murder innocents) are complicent in thier silence. There are a very small few muslims (you can probably count them all on one, maybe two hands) that are vocally against the radicals, but the rest are not. Oh, and a small percentage of a group that numbers in the billions is a big-ass group --- of murderers. If more stood up and spoke out against the violence of the few (again, speaking a percentage here), then maybe, just maybe I'd be able to have a bit of understanding towards them. But, as it stands I say *** islam, *** muhammed, *** allah (who I believe muhammed tricked them into worshipping satan and named him allah) and *** any muslim reading this who sits in silence while others murder innocents in the name of a violent "religeon". I don't want to understand islam, or muslims, I want all the people who died in the twin towers back. But, since I can't have that I don't think building a monument to thier murders for the murderers by the murderers (and I'm pointing at ALL of the muslims minus the vocal handful) something that should be done. And if you don't like this particular rant, *** you too.
    Does anybody know the actual recorded number of Germans who during the 2nd World War stood up in a public way to chastize the S.S.? What was the official recorded number of German people who stood up and said that Hitler was wrong and so were all his policies?

Of course there aren't any official numbers because people didn't do that. What makes you think it should / will be any different now with this situation. It is unreasonable to think that all Muslim's who DO NOT stand up in some public way to say that they are against what is happeneing are Murderer's. It has NOTHING to do with Political Correctness.
  • Options
    I've just spent a couple of grueling 14 hour days at work in the ICU, and haven't had time to keep up with this until now, but I've been thinking about it. Thanks to all for your input, many diverse and well thought-out ideas, as well as some nearly unavoidable prejudices, unavoidable considering the emotional impact of the recent history. (drat, I forgot to look back at how to paragraph, will try that next time) I think that my own biggest mistake in considering all this has been that I read the Koran, as well as Karen Armstrongs bio of Mohammed. You see, Mohammed told his followers that they were to read all the Christian and Jewish texts, that the God he was telling them about was the God of Jesus, Moses, and Abraham. Obviously, they've forgotten this, since carrying a Bible is a punishable offense in many muslim nations. My error was comparable to reading the New Testament as a way of figuring out what was wrong with Timothy McVeigh. The real danger, the real enemy of all peaceful, thinking human beings, is Extremism! Not Islam, but Islamism, not Judaism, but Zionism, not the Christian religion, but the extremist sects who have commited atrocities like burning all the Jews in their village because they thought it would make God happy and he would cure them of the Bubonic Plague. Fundamentalists and extremists of every stripe are trying to bring about some form of Armageddon, seemingly believing that by accomplishing the ultimate destruction of God's Creation, that he will then welcome them with open arms for getting rid of His enemies. Doesn't sound too smart to me. At any rate, I certainly enjoy these conversations with all of you, it is encouraging to me that so many of you think these things through. Sometimes it seems to me that thinking, truly THINKING, is becoming a lost art. Y'all give me hope!

• Options
    laker1963:
    cabinetmaker:
    One2gofst:

Does anybody know the actual recorded number of Germans who during the 2nd World War stood up in a public way to chastize the S.S.? What was the official recorded number of German people who stood up and said that Hitler was wrong and so were all his policies?

Of course there aren't any official numbers because people didn't do that. What makes you think it should / will be any different now with this situation. It is unreasonable to think that all Muslim's who DO NOT stand up in some public way to say that they are against what is happeneing are Murderer's. It has NOTHING to do with Political Correctness.
    that is an interesting comparison. i would like to know the actual percentage of germans who were against hitlers actions. I am sure we will never know what the exact number is.

im also sure there is a percentage of muslims that are afraid to speak up. it would be naive of me top believe otherwise. so then the next questions are this:
    1) what is that percentage
    2) is it actually comparable to the silencing of anti **** groups in WWII
    3) if the population that is against the violence that takes place in the name of islam is less than, say 30% does it really matter? and to what degree?

im not sure it is a fool proof argument that they are all scared to speak up. why?
    because Islam has had bloody boarders for 1400 years. Hitlers reign was a blink of an eye compared to that. how long will that group within Islam stand around and be idle while others commit atrocities in the name of the religion they love? ... especially with countries like the US, England, Spain, etc. that want to end the violence as well. thats a force to be reckoned with. if there was a swell of anti-violence sentiment within that community they would probably be spurred on by support externally.

iduno... just a thought.
    as ive said before on this forum, i hope there are good muslims out there. I hope they show up and prove me wrong. i hope they take over the religion and let the religion to live up to the saying that it is a religion of peace.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    WOW this is some Heavy Discussion... WOuldnt touch it with a TEN FOOT POLE!
  • Options
    The comparison to Germany is not valid. The German atrocities commited by Hitler were 1) within German borders and lands conquered by Germany; and 2) were commited by a government. The German army and SS would round up and shoot anyone who spoke out. Not the same circumstances at all with a religion that in this country has no borders.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    The comparison to Germany is not valid. The German atrocities commited by Hitler were 1) within German borders and lands conquered by Germany; and 2) were commited by a government. The German army and SS would round up and shoot anyone who spoke out. Not the same circumstances at all with a religion that in this country has no borders.
    And as such, the percentages of Germans vs. Muslims are irrelevant.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    The comparison to Germany is not valid. The German atrocities commited by Hitler were 1) within German borders and lands conquered by Germany;
    so when hitler was sending rockets (as primitive as they were) and bombing raids on Great Brittan that was German land? or was that not an atrocity?
    cabinetmaker:
    and 2) were commited by a government. The German army and SS would round up and shoot anyone who spoke out. Not the same circumstances at all with a religion that in this country has no borders.
    Islam is not just a religion it is a way of life and a governing body.
    one could argue that muslims have, in other countries, rounded up and shot anyone who spoke out. Darfur cones to mind as an example.

i know the refutation of the second point was a bit of a leap, and i am by no means saying that this issue with radical islam is 100% comparable to **** Germany but there are a few aspects that are the same and for discussions sake they are worth looking at.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    "Tolerance has become so important that no exception is tolerated" -Charles Colson

• Options
    kuzi16:
    cabinetmaker:
    The comparison to Germany is not valid. The German atrocities commited by Hitler were 1) within German borders and lands conquered by Germany;
    so when hitler was sending rockets (as primitive as they were) and bombing raids on Great Brittan that was German land? or was that not an atrocity?
    cabinetmaker:
    and 2) were commited by a government. The German army and SS would round up and shoot anyone who spoke out. Not the same circumstances at all with a religion that in this country has no borders.
    Islam is not just a religion it is a way of life and a governing body.
    one could argue that muslims have, in other countries, rounded up and shot anyone who spoke out. Darfur cones to mind as an example.

i know the refutation of the second point was a bit of a leap, and i am by no means saying that this issue with radical islam is 100% comparable to **** Germany but there are a few aspects that are the same and for discussions sake they are worth looking at.
    When Hitler sent the rockets, it was an act of war BY a nation ON a nation during a war. That instance is also not comparable as the German people were not sending the rockets, the German government was. Again, protest = a bullet in the head. Germans in America at the time were vocally against it as well, not all but large percentage.

I'm not going to rebut your second point because, as you stated, its a leap.