Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Opus X

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, there is some variance. Manufacturers will call a corona anything from 5-6.5 inches long and from 42-46 in ring gauge.

I think perhaps you're thinking of a petit corona, which typically weighs in around 4.5 x 42. But again, it is hard to definitively peg a dimension to a name because so many companies make them to different standards. Makes for some confusion, don't it?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I must have over 300 cigars in my humidors if not more. I think I can ignore them. I also only allow myself a god of fire OR Don Carlos 30th anniversary once every two to three months. I think I have maybe 26 of the Don Carlos and maybe 36 God of fire. I got the God of Fires back in May or June of 2007. A few are from 2004, most are from 2005 and I have a box of the Piramide from this year.

Wheel, what do you think of the GOF's? I have about 8 carlitos in my aging humi and have yet to spark one up. Just curious, as you don't see nearly as many reviews of those as the Opus. I'm wondering if it's just because the GOF is a newer cigar in comparison to the opus.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Rob1110:
    rwheelwright:
    I must have over 300 cigars in my humidors if not more. I think I can ignore them. I also only allow myself a god of fire OR Don Carlos 30th anniversary once every two to three months. I think I have maybe 26 of the Don Carlos and maybe 36 God of fire. I got the God of Fires back in May or June of 2007. A few are from 2004, most are from 2005 and I have a box of the Piramide from this year.

Wheel, what do you think of the GOF's? I have about 8 carlitos in my aging humi and have yet to spark one up. Just curious, as you don't see nearly as many reviews of those as the Opus. I'm wondering if it's just because the GOF is a newer cigar in comparison to the opus.
    I think they are pretty strong. I have both the Carlito and Don Carlos. The Don Carlos was rated 93 I think. Lot's of smoke. The next time I have one, I'll give you more details. It has been a while since I have had one.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Rob1110:
    rwheelwright:

I think they are pretty strong. I have both the Carlito and Don Carlos. The Don Carlos was rated 93 I think. Lot's of smoke. The next time I have one, I'll give you more details. It has been a while since I have had one.
    Out of the 2, which would you recommend? I'm thinking about getting a box @ cigar.com...?
  • Options
    I seem to like the God of Fire by Don Carlos better. That is my preference though. I may have to brak one out this weekend. Maybe I'll smoke one of each. I do have a lot more of the Carlito since he made more sizes. I bought a box of each size last year and one of the Piramides this year.

have you thought about getting one of the samples of each before buying a box? I know they come in packs of three.
  • Options
    That may be a good idea. From the reviews I've read I think I would lean towards the don carlos though.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Every time I see the letter X it makes me think of the Opus X.... So I had to get a few. I picked up two each of the #2, #4, #5 and Fuentes Fuentes. Now instead of looking in my humidor three times a day, I look in there five times a day. They sure are pretty !! I hope they are as good as I expect them to be.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I hope they are as good as I expect them to be.
    they will be even better if you dont expect them to be anything.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    I hope they are as good as I expect them to be.
    they will be even better if you dont expect them to be anything.
    Words of wisdom that will be hard to live by...I shall try.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Every time I see the letter X it makes me think of the Opus X.... So I had to get a few. I picked up two each of the #2, #4, #5 and Fuentes Fuentes. Now instead of looking in my humidor three times a day, I look in there five times a day. They sure are pretty !! I hope they are as good as I expect them to be.
    You'll have to share your thoughts on them when you light them... =)
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    I went back and bought a couple of the ****'s, this past weekend, so I've got those, the #3's and the Fuente Fuente's. Between the two of us, I think we have every size covered.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the Fuente Anejo? I was wondering which one would be more recommended? I cannot find any opus X's anywhere and cigar.com seems sold out. If the Anejo is close I'd like to give it a try..
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I, and several others here, love the Anejo. I can't say how it compares to the Opus, but the Anejo is definitely worth retail (~$12-15) when you can get them.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    I can't say how it compares to the Opus
    You, my friend, are cruisin' for a bombin'.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Has anyone tried the Fuente Anejo? I was wondering which one would be more recommended? I cannot find any opus X's anywhere and cigar.com seems sold out. If the Anejo is close I'd like to give it a try..
    They are different than the Opus X. It has a very distinct taste. Hard to describe. But they are good!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The anejo is a different cigar, to begin with, it as a maduro wrapper that has been aged in a cognac barrel. THey actually also come with a cameroon wrapper but it is very rare.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I went back and bought a couple of the ****'s, this past weekend, so I've got those, the #3's and the Fuente Fuente's. Between the two of us, I think we have every size covered.
    I tried one of the Belicoso **** aka Power Rangers this past weekend. I didn't notice the raisin/fig note that I detected in the #5, but it may have just been that day, what I ate and so forth. However, I do think that the wrapper might have lent that note and would just be harder to detect with a larger ring gauge.

However, I did get lots of woodsy notes and a head rush. Man, even on a full stomach, these things are friggin' strong!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hey squirrel, check your PM. Message sent.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    urbino:
    I tried one of the Belicoso **** aka Power Rangers this past weekend. I didn't notice the raisin/fig note that I detected in the #5, but it may have just been that day, what I ate and so forth. However, I do think that the wrapper might have lent that note and would just be harder to detect with a larger ring gauge.

However, I did get lots of woodsy notes and a head rush. Man, even on a full stomach, these things are friggin' strong!
    Hey Rob, I noticed that the Opus X do have a raisin/ fig pre-light smell to them. I haven't smoked any of them yet, so I can't say if that quality carries over to the burn.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Scrambler:
    I can't say how it compares to the Opus
    You, my friend, are cruisin' for a bombin'.
    Well, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. I checked all the local B&M's when I read about several people here scoring them at MSRP, but apparently they already got their shipment for the year and sold out.

I have a 2005 tubo hiding in my humi that my best friend bought me. I planned to smoke it when he was in town for the 4th of July, but never had the time to settle down with it, and it's something that I want to wait to smoke when he is around since he paid $40 for the thing.
  • Options
    Consider it done.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Rob, I noticed that the Opus X do have a raisin/ fig pre-light smell to them. I haven't smoked any of them yet, so I can't say if that quality carries over to the burn.
    With the #5, I did notice the flavor carrying over to the burn in the beginning, but just slightly. In the Belicoso, I didn't notice it much at all, but again, it could have been what I ate and my general mood that day.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Consider it done.
    You, sir, are too kind. Luckily I have some return fire ready, just waiting for the pass to get to me.
  • Options
    I suspected you might. This package won't go out until Monday. I brought it to work with me today, but didn't have a chance to get it down to the mailroom guy.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I suspected you might. This package won't go out until Monday. I brought it to work with me today, but didn't have a chance to get it down to the mailroom guy.
    What !!!! there are no mailroom girls.. I see now, Get your girls Ashleigh and Britney a job there and I'm pretty sure you could have made it down to the mailroom so they could ask about your package.
  • Options
    Heh. There's occasionally a mailroom girl, but this is the office, so I try to keep it professional. Ish.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Heh. There's occasionally a mailroom girl, but this is the office, so I try to keep it professional. Ish.
    ..... and the mailroom girl is off on Friday. But she will be in on Monday.
    Don't forget to shave and shower..
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Rob1110:

I hear ya on the head rush. I had my first Opus today, the Power Ranger. Man, I had a nice lunch beforehand and still...felt the kick. I did notice the pre-light raisin-ish note, but also had a prelight bite to it. The prelight was like nothing I had experienced. I noticed the lick on the cap was also more biting than other cigars. It was like it was telling me it was gonna kick my ass before I even lit it. It definitely exceeded every other cigar I have tried in the realm of depth and complexity. I noticed it got very sweet about an inch into it, before it's first ash, which didn't happen for about 50 minutes and 1 and 3/4 inches into it. Then the thing gathered that woodsy flavor and continued to intensify the whole way. what and awesome smoke. Never got hot, never got bitter, draw was a little tight(not a bad tight), had only slight variations in burn, but never touched up. Smoked it down to about 3/4 of an inch and by that time, it was almost too strong, yet I did not want to put it down.
  • Options
    I can't take all this opus x talk anymore. I have the day off and I'm going opux shopping I feel as though I need to experience one now.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    ebitler:
    I can't take all this opus x talk anymore. I have the day off and I'm going opux shopping I feel as though I need to experience one now.
    ebit - Outland has them, but they're like $30 a piece. If you do find them, be prepared to spend a lot of money.