Home General Discussion
Options

Waxing Moon Humidor Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sorry.... I haven't had time to do the picture thing.... I've been busy with work & all the spare time I have has been making sawdust.... So, I thought I'd show where everything is at the moment... We'll see what the weekend brings.... At least they're starting to look like something....

I did all the spline work, sanded...sanded....and sanded some more... beveled the lids and then cut off the tops. Next up... Mill the mortises for the lid stays. Then, it's spanish cedar time!!!

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut

WMWH54 - Walnut

WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo

WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocobolo

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Ebony

WMWH62 - Jataboa (Brazilian Cherry)

• Options
    I milled all the stuff for the hinge work & lid stays.... and started cutting up the spanish cedar this afternoon.... Then, I started playing around with this one...

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Ebony

• Options
    Things have been a little hectic lately in the Waxing Moon shop.... My day job has really been getting in the way. I'm seriously thinking about giving it up and focusing on the humidors - Full Time. But, as you can guess.... the decision is a bit nerve wracking.... Time will tell.

I haven't even had time to get in to the computer to update the progress... but, I will be having Six humidors coming off the bench over the weekend... and then I get to start up on six more. The upcoming six will be a variety of some very cool wood and designs...

In the mean time.... I finally got Bobmachine's humidor finished and in the mail on Monday... she's on her way to London England..... My girl made me redesign the bottom portion of the accumonitor thing.... she's my lifesaver and best critic... she gives me great ideas. Set me back just a tad.

My first piece to wind up in Europe! How cool is that! Here she is.... snapped the pics the other night, right before she went in to the heavily padded box!

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    amazing as usual.
    you really have an eye for complimentary woods and how to use the grain to your advantage.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    These are fantastic, beautiful work sir, you are a true craftsman.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    amazing as usual.
    you really have an eye for complimentary woods and how to use the grain to your advantage.
    ShotgunJohn:
    These are fantastic, beautiful work sir, you are a true craftsman.
    Both are so very true so I had to quote them both, excellent work as always Sir! I'm always amazed at what you do.
  • Options
    WMWH57: Quilted Maple & Cocobolo

WMWH59: Ziricote & Gabon Ebony

WMWH62: Jataboa aka Brazilian Cherry

• Options
    Well, for the most part, they can be called humidors now. Lined & Oiled up.... #57 has the lid insert going off to the laser guy... and I need to install glass on #53. I love putting the oil on 'em....

WMWH53: Cherry & Walnut

WMWH54: Walnut

WMWH56: Walnut & Cocobolo

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Nice work as always!
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Can anyone else actually smell the cedar when you open up this thread? Nice work.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Simply amazing craftsmanship
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    that's so awesome man...i've always wanted to learn to make a humidor...
  • Options
    Came up with a new tray bottom design.... what do ya'all think?

• Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    WaxingMoon:

I love it I think it will really help with air exchange. I also just really like the lattice look compared to the traditional tray look
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    WaxingMoon:
    Wellll honestly, it looks a lot more labor intensive, without any added gains? Pretty much my take on it - I am a fan of your earlier tray designs.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Hays:
    WaxingMoon:
    Wellll honestly, it looks a lot more labor intensive, without any added gains? Pretty much my take on it - I am a fan of your earlier tray designs.
    I like the look but I also like the other trays that you do as well. Good question here by Hays, I'm interested in the answer. If you are looking for a unique look you def. found it.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Man the Darker wood humis look amazing. The Walnut and Cocoblo and the Zircote and Ebony blew me away. Gorgeous work man. And really cool to see the progress along the way.

And as for the new trays they look cool as hell, but how does it affect the "stackability" of the cigars? Would you be able to stack them in either direction because the smaller lattice? or would be limited to only stacking them in only one direction? Either way, I really like the look.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    Hays:
    WaxingMoon:

I like the look but I also like the other trays that you do as well. Good question here by Hays, I'm interested in the answer. If you are looking for a unique look you def. found it.

Actually, it's not as labor intesive.... much easier, really.... It still provides excellent ventilation and the stackability is good..... If you prefer to have the ridges horizontal - all you have to do is flip the panel before securing it.... I'll still do the other options...just always looking for improvements, or options. One option I'm waiting on is for somebody to ask for this one....or something similar

• Options
    Calling this little sweetheart DONE!

11" x 9" x 8" for around 110 count humidor.....

Walnut & Cocobolo

• Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    That little sweetheart is GORGEOUS!
  • Options
    Another one off the bench... WMWH54 - Walnut.... 14" x 10" x 7" for 140 count humidor...

And... just for the heck of it... here's what she looked like when I started...

• Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Damn I am in awe once again.
  • Options
    Finished up #59 today.....

Ziricote & Gabon Ebony 16" x 12" x 8" 2 Full trays & Crumb catcher....

Inspired and Designed by my girl - Terri

Enjoy!

• Options
    Finished up a couple more this morning....

#53: 19" x 12" x 8.5" for right at 275 count - made out of Figured Cherry & Walnut!

And #62: 16" x 12" x 7" for right at 190 count - made out of Jataboa (brazilian cherry)

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Dude, you do some insanely sick work man, one day I WILL own one of your Humidors even if I have to rob a bank to get the money together.
  • Options
    It's been busy in the Waxing Moon shop..... I have all sorts of nice exotics to play around with.... Most of the work I've been doing has been simply dimensioning and planing the wood down to the specifications.....

Currently in the shop.... Quilted Maple, Macassar Ebony, Gabon Ebony, Wenge, Goncalo Alves, Teak, Walnut, Figured Cherry.... and probably a couple more that I can't remember....

I know, it's probably boring to look at a chunk of rough cut wood, so, I'll wait and post as they start to look like something....

With that being said... Here's some progress on a couple of them...

WMWH58 - Mahogany & Wenge. This piece of mahogany is old growth... Just can't find it like this anymore. My wood supplier told me that this board was there when he started working there 30 years ago. Anymore, with all the harvesting and orchard type growth... you just don't see it like this anymore. Take a look at that fantastic ribbon effect, it's really going to pop when she gets to the finishing stage.... This humidor is bound for Tokyo!

WMWH60 - Zebrawood & Walnut. This is going to go with a glass top... I love this combination.....

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    WaxingMoon:

Fantastic! Quick question... what is the wood that the actual humidor here is made of (because when I some day order one from you, this is what I want)
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    how much for just a tray. i need something to put my give away cigars in on top of my aging drawers.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Hey Ed - You have a PM
  • Options
    Busy in the Waxing Moon shop....

These things are starting to look like something....

The tops need to be glued up and assembled, beveled & then we need to do the contrasting splines.... and then finish 'em up by lining them with the SC.... Still have a bunch more to do, but things are going real well in the shop.... so, we're clicking right along

From Front to Back, Left to Right....

WMWH70 - Cherry & Walnut....

WMWH61 - Walnut & Wenge

WMWH66 - Walnut & Cherry

WMWH58 - Mahogany & Wenge

WMWH60 - Zebrawood & Walnut....

Plus....new addition to the Waxing Moon shop.... This brand spanking new Grizzly Bandsaw.... Now I can get through some of the steps much quicker and more efficient....