Home General Discussion
Options

Waxing Moon Humidor Thread

Comments

• Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    AJGARLETT:
    looking good Ed!! do I see my #77 sitting there on the right?!?!

Yep... she'll be rolling off soon... I'll do the splines tomorrow or the next day... put the lid together and then it's all downhill from there.... Got the grunt work done!
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    awesome, now I can start ordering some cigars to fill that beast! Thanks for the great news! -Tony G.
  • Options
    Not real sure yet what I'm going to marry this stuff up with, but I'm sure I'll be making humidors with it.... I got a treat from my wood vendor today... I just have to show ya'all....

All of the pieces are old growth.... Richard at Carlton McLendon's Rare Woods & Veneers told me that they have been in his inventory since Carlton was around.... in other words, at least 30 years.

First up.... Muvingui or African Satinwood... This is my personal favorite of the bunch... I can't wait to get this one shined up.... You don't see boards like this anymore.... they get turned in to veneer...

Next up.... Some Eucolyptus.... this board actually came from Austrailia.... and is at least 30 years old. Ought to make an interesting box!

Last but not least... A very nice piece of Macassar Ebony.... again, old growth and has been in his shop for at least 30 years....

I can't wait to start cutting on this stuff!

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Some Nice wood, I have a Xikar humidor made with some Macassar Ebony, everyone loves it. My wife wants a Cabinet for me about a 500 Stick Cabinet Made out of Quartersawn Oak, Stickley Mission Syle to go with all our Stickley Furniture, we have New pieces and over 100 year old pieces. I have been looking for a Mission Style Humi for a while... I have seen some that people call Mission Style or Early American... They Obviously dont jhave a Clue what Mission Furniture looks like! LOL Quartersawn Oak /Tiger Stripe Oak is hard to come by, I told my wife i would probaly have to buy some old Caninet or Bookcase and have it taken apart and cut down to make a Humi! LOL she doesnt have a Clue how much it would cost i told her she would have to take a second mortgage out to Get me what she has described! LOL.......
  • Options
    Back with a few more.....

Brazilian Cherry & Ebony 18" x 14" x 10" 360 Count.....

I like the tray set up the Brother asked for.... 1" deep full trays, 1-1/2" shorter than the hole they fit in.... so he can slide 'em back & forth just a bit and pull them out easily.... Plenty of room below for some serious storage...

• Options
    This little humidor sweetheart.... She may be small, but she packs a punch....

Cherry & Walnut 11" x 9" x 6" 85 Count....

• Options
    One more for tonight..... I'll put up a couple more tomorrow....

Red Oak & Walnut (great combination))!!! 16" x 12" x 7" 192 Count....

• Options
    Today's Treats..... Starting off with.....

Wenge & Black Palm 17" x 12" x 9" 260 Count

Pictures didn't turn out very well... as I'm not a photographer.... but the grain on this one is outstanding!!! And, that Black Palm is somethin' else...

• Options
    I'm calling this one.... "Secret Agent Man" .... (there's a reason for that)....

Goncalo Alves & Walnut 18" x 13" x 10" I didn't measure for actual capacity.... but, using those dims, it would have been a 330 count humidor.... but, my client wanted a "secret compartment" on the bottom.... something to keep currency, passports, and anything else you can think of to put in there....

Top simply lifts off.....

• Options
    WaxingMoon:
    I'm calling this one.... "Secret Agent Man" .... (there's a reason for that)....

Goncalo Alves & Walnut 18" x 13" x 10" I didn't measure for actual capacity.... but, using those dims, it would have been a 330 count humidor.... but, my client wanted a "secret compartment" on the bottom.... something to keep currency, passports, and anything else you can think of to put in there....

Top simply lifts off.....

SWEET!
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    nice humidors!
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I dont drive so today I rode the bus all the way to the only good bnm in town. Never go cause its so far. Had the itch for some sticks not in my usual rotation so I made the trip.

Picked up....
    Airbender chisel, smoking now 1st Ive had.
    Triviata toro never had one.
    LFD DL chisel maduro, old favorite.
    My Father 1922 churchill, old favorite.
    Not a bad outing.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Wrong thread Gaberox?
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    stephen_hannibal:
    Wrong thread Gaberox?

Yup lol sorry ha ha. I was like man this guy baught a bunch of humis.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dear lord,

i am saying this prayer in the hopes that some day soon i will be able to afford a humidor from this thread.
    more importantly, i pray that my wife does not kill me when it shows up on my doorstep.

amen.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    dear lord,

i am saying this prayer in the hopes that some day soon i will be able to afford a humidor from this thread.
    more importantly, i pray that my wife does not kill me when it shows up on my doorstep.

amen.

+ 1 but ..... Mine would cost way to much and I would have to have one In an Old Mission Style with OLd Quartersawn Oak...... wont happen.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Redtailhawkoz:
    kuzi16:
    dear lord,

amen.

+ 1 but ..... Mine would cost way to much and I would have to have one In an Old Mission Style with OLd Quartersawn Oak...... wont happen.
    C'mon man, that's an excuse, not a reason!! Make it happen!!
  • Options
    I never liked the way dividers fit in humidors.... So, I never put one in mine... I had to do a humi with a couple of dividers today and thought to myself.... "self, there has got to be a better way"....

So... I was looking at the lattice crumb catcher and came up with a "Hey, this will work" moment.....

Crumb catcher is removable.... the slots on the side are tacked on.... and the dividers are easily adjustable within every slot - 1/4" apart.....

What do ya'all think?

• Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Perfect! Looks awesome
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    great idea Ed!
  • Options
    Another humidor meets the world today......

Cherry & African Mahogany 19" x 12" x 8.5" 275 Count

• Options
    And Another.....

Red Oak 16" x 12" x 7" 192 Count....

• Options
    And Another....

Walnut - Curly Walnut Lid 11" x 9" x 5" 70 Count

• Options
    And one more for the day.....

I have 3 more just about ready..... we'll save them for next time...

Goncalo Alves 14" x 10" x 7" 140 Count Adjustable dividers

• Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    WaxingMoon:
    Another humidor meets the world today......

Cherry & African Mahogany 19" x 12" x 8.5" 275 Count

This one is coming home to daddy, woooohooooo!!!!! image

• Options
    Couple of different things going on today.... I have two humidors drying in the finishing phase.... and started milling some more... and worked on my "prototype" (which is coming along nicely).....

But.... had a couple other things on the back burner...

Started this door for an Edgestar 28.... a BOTL had damage to his when he received it from wherever he bought it.... and I told him... "let's build a new door"... and the idea went from there... Still have to glue it up... but, the seal fits great and the glass is tight.... This is cherry.

Had another idea... so I threw this together this morning out of Mahogany... Gonna get some brass handles & stuff... not sure what I'll do with it... but, the little lady sort of likes it... it may or may not become a humidor... but... it's a good idea for one...

And then.... finished out this Vino Temp 28 that a BOTL drop shipped to me... I think this is going to be my preferred way to do these... as there are a lot of weird nuances involved with all the different wine coolers...

• Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Some very nice stuff!!! Can I have one of each please :D
  • Options
    Brought this one off the bench this evening....

Cherry & Walnut 20" x 12" x 8" 275 Count.... 4 half trays & crumb catcher....

• Options
    Another New Humidor in the world today.....

Bird's Eye Maple & Curly Walnut....
    27" x 13" x 7.5"
    375 Count.....
    Three - 1/3 Trays
    Two - Half Trays
    Crumb Catcher

She's a sweetheart! Pictures aren't doing this one much justices...

• Options
    Another New Humidor in the world today.....

Bird's Eye Maple & Curly Walnut....
    27" x 13" x 7.5"
    375 Count.....
    Three - 1/3 Trays
    Two - Half Trays
    Crumb Catcher

She's a sweetheart! Pictures aren't doing this one much justices...